Notices

First meeting since sober living

Old 06-20-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First meeting since sober living

Hey SR.

I went to my first aa meeting since living in a sober house a state away. Went with a friend who is a heroin addict (I'm an alcoholic). It was good to be back with people who know what I am going through, but I still continued to drink.

Advice? I have been to rehab once. Been to many meetings.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcom back Christy, great to hear from you. Glad you could get to a meeting as well.

If your approach to sobriety is going to be AA, i'd recommend working on getting a sponsor and working the steps. While the meetings are certainly integral to the AA process, the "meat" of the program and the part that actually helps you stop drinking/stay sober is the Steps themselves and having a sponsor to guide you through them. Have you ever tried that before?

In a general sense, I personally feel that one needs to have a desire to quit drinking and an absolute committment do doing so regardless of what method you choose. Nothing will stop you from drinking if you don't want to, that includes AA, Rehab, Detox, etc.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcom back Christy, great to hear from you. Glad you could get to a meeting as well.

If your approach to sobriety is going to be AA, i'd recommend working on getting a sponsor and working the steps. While the meetings are certainly integral to the AA process, the "meat" of the program and the part that actually helps you stop drinking/stay sober is the Steps themselves and having a sponsor to guide you through them. Have you ever tried that before?

In a general sense, I personally feel that one needs to have a desire to quit drinking and an absolute committment do doing so regardless of what method you choose. Nothing will stop you from drinking if you don't want to, that includes AA, Rehab, Detox, etc.
I second that. meetings are great, but goin to meetings and not drinking doesn't treat alcoholism.
one thing that caught my attention early on was," if you have decided you wat what we have and are willing to go to any lengths to get it then you are ready to take certain steps."
only way I found out what the "we" they are talking about was by reading the big book and listening others at meetings. that's when I decided I wanted what they had and became willing to go to any lengths.
ive had ALL of the promises in the big book( not just the 9th step promises that are read at a lot of meetings) come true for me, the greatest 2 are I have ceased fightin alcohol and have been restored to sanity.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I've found big difference between going to meetings and actually 'working' the program of AA. It works if you work it : )
Old 06-20-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me to get long term sobriety I needed to do some important things.

I needed to want to get sober. Not just talk about it.

I needed to become honest with myself about my drinking.

I needed to admit AND accept the fact that I cannot drink in safety.

I needed to surrender and stop all the denial regards alcohol.

I needed the repetition of a lot of meetings and the fellowship to help keep my thinking straight.

I needed to participate in the meetings and the fellowship.

When I had cleared up enough I needed to participate in the recovery part of the program, the 12 steps.

BE WELL