Notices

Weekender thread! June 20-22!!! Come join us!

Old 06-21-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tiffyw12 View Post
I'm 4 days in to being sober. I think this weekend will be ok. I know once I start to feel better, this will not be the case next weekend. Fri.....will be hard. I'm thinking I come in now, I'll need to come in next weekend!

SO...I'm in x
Tiffy, I know what you mean. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. I binged every two or three days for years, after many years of drinking lots every night.

It's only a couple weeks ago that I decided to go sober, but the Whee!kender threads have been a big help, and after I got through the first weekend I looked forward to the next Sober Weekend and checked into SR to stay sober during the work-week. This is my third sober weekend in a row! Going sober with a bunch of other people really does help. Very cool that it's with a bunch of people from around the planet.

Thank you for joining us! Best wishes for your health and recovery!

Old 06-21-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post

House full of dogs today. My brother is here with his Great Dane/Mastiff mix, plus my German Shepherd and my new Hound. Amazing how adding one more dog adds 200% more chaos..
I've got two Great Danes. Gentle giant couch potatoes.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Magsie

All talk of bacon and angel cakes making me hungry. Talking of hungry I've run out of bird food and the likkle birdies on the tree are reminding me. Lol.

Weasel, you are a bossy boots, lol, in a nice way, you reminded me of my brothers who are 4 years younger than me but still bossed me about.haha.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Up at 6:15 AM today -- up early like the old folks!

Cooked a breakfast of green beans, white kidney beans, two eggs, topped with salsa and rooster sauce (Sriracha). Nice to catch up with this thread during breakfast.

Good to hear that one can still lose weight on the ice cream diet -- but I had better think twice about keeping it in the house, as I binged on ice cream three or four nights this week and had (mild) ice cream hangovers from all the sugar and dairy.

I think I need to get out of the house today, even just for a bike ride around the neighborhood.

Oh yeah, exercise -- I should do some.

Anyway, wishing everyone a fine weekend! Will check in now and then.

Oh, and about a day late, but here's a nice Summer Solstice photo. May the Solstice bring you healing, fresh energy and new growth!

Old 06-21-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Good morning weekenders!
I love that I got to bed and in the morning there is so much to read here.
If you are new or struggling, keep posting!

Ruby: You know how to live girl! Bordeaux Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream! You, Glimer and all the other awkward soul sisters here make my life so much better. I could have been you at the pool yesterday. Hope the party goes well today.

Weasel: sea kayaking for a non-swimmer. You are living on the edge! One of the greatest things about sobriety is that we become more adventurous and fearless. I might just be searching out new locations for ice cream and doughnuts now, but give me a few months and maybe I’ll expand that to finally try to find good pizza and stromboli somewhere here in the South.

I have a book called “Backroads of North Carolina” and it has 28 different back road trips around the state. I am determined to do all of them at some point.

Kevin, I realized last night that I can stop at one small bowl of good ice cream and feel satisfied. I was not that way with wine… BTW, your breakfast sounds delish and love the photo.

BigS: I think that most of us would like to come with you on your trip…wouldn’t that be fun? A weekenders field trip!

If I did not mention you by name, please know I am happy you are posting here and look forward to reading more.

I had a drinking dream last night…in it I had a glass of wine knowing that today was my 2 months sober. I woke up so relieved it was just a dream. This is my second real attempt at sobriety and very often, it’s a “one day at a time” approach. But, happy to be on the longest day of the year sober and with you folks.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

More bacon talk...

Non's breakfast today:

Bacon Pancakes!
(Made with almond flour, so they're gluten free, too!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
baconpancakes.jpg (23.4 KB, 52 views)
Old 06-21-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

There was a kewpie doll up for grabs?!! . . . and I missed it?!!

How we all doing Weekenders? I'm enjoying my weekend off work, plenty of sport on to keep me occupied this afternoon, F1 qualifying has just finished, there's golf on and later we have 3 soccer matches, Germany and Argentina are in action.

As always got my pot of tea beside me, it's not green tea today, I broke out a new white tea that I picked up in London a few weeks back, it is going down very nicely

Welcome to all the newcomers to the thread, this place kept me Sober my first few weekends, and even if you slip, keep posting, if Saturday or Sunday becomes your Day 1, we all want to hear about it and get you through at least some of this weekend Sober!!

Have a great Saturday everyone!!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Enjoying a very very slow start to my Saturday morning. Bf is in a golf tournament today and my son is working for the better part of the day. Finally caught up with some sleep and the anxiety, while still present, is more in an ebb and flow mode. Not sure what I will do with myself today but I know it will not involve drinking I'm thinking some serious puttering at home will be happening. Maybe even baking some banana bread with all of this food talk!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Thanks Gilmer. I laughed at the fungus on the face bit. I skip the ladies night out invites too. You wouldn't have been a weirdo with five kids around here. Big families were the norm. There were a few families around with ten, twelve kids. A bunch with three, four or five.

Trying to maintain sanity getting ready. Neither my husband nor I got a whole lot of sleep so tempers are a little short. I have to plug in and carry on. Talk to you all later. I still have to go to the grocery store and buy balloons. Cleaning is done. No food really to prep since I'm doing hot dogs and frozen cheese pizzas. No Hot Doug's. Wasted on the six year old crowd.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Morning weekenders! Another glorious sober morning, actually chilly outside on this first day of summer. Finishing off a green smoothie packed with goodness. The H has been making me breakfast every morning alternating smoothies and steel cut oatmeal. Guess he wants to keep me around for a while .

Kayaking sounds wonderful. You are a brave soul weasel, not only because you can't swim (yikes) but that water sure is cold up there in Maine. Be safe!

Having brunch at my house with an old friend on Monday. Our relationship fell apart ( at least I did) after I had a terrible accident at her house as a result of drinking. She reached out to me last week wanting to see me and I truly have missed her. We have a long history, vacationing together, going through the births of her children, illnesses, loss of a parent, etc. She is a big personality and can be the most selfless, loyal friend. There is always lots of drama though. Drinking was a huge part of the relationship.I am still harboring some feelings of resentment over the accident and a gut feeling that as much as I want to rekindle our friendship, it may not be good for me. So why am I doing this? Well, good friends don't come by easily, at least for me. She is a great person, drinking aside ( which she handles very well, so far). If drinking is going to be an issue between us then I hope we can close the friendship out on good terms. I am hoping however that we can find a common ground on which to continue our friendship that's safe for me. She knows I quit drinking but not that I'm still sober. Long story short, I am anxious about opening this door. Thanks SR for providing me a forum to express this on. Might need some sage clarity on this.

Happy sober weekend everyone!
Old 06-21-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey tiptree...hey charlieSM.... I cannot swim... I doggie paddle... But my bet is on technology. The life vest should kick in if I need it.

I turn 48 Monday. I wanted to dare myself. Anyone that knows me would not associate me with water... Deep water... But I snorkeled in the islands and it was fun and easy.... So? Let's see? Lol

Went to pride fest in Portland today.... I was strolling through the main park and came across a farmers market opposite the pride festival..... There were fruits and vegetables everywhere... Hmmmmm.....
Old 06-21-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Tiptree, I think it's good you are having brunch at your house so you can control the beverages. I'm sorry that you had an accident that cause such a rift in your friendship. Will your husband be around to provide support to you if you need it? I had a good friend and we had a big falling out. After about six months, she reached out to me and we got together for dinner and since then we've been good friends again. It's not exactly how it used to be but all good. I hope that happens with your friend too. Like you said, good friends are hard to come by.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charleesavedme View Post
give me a few months and maybe I’ll expand that to finally try to find good pizza and stromboli somewhere here in the South.
If one of these southern places tries to sell you something called a "Philly Cheesesteak," run like the wind in the opposite direction! You can get good Philadelphia subs and steaks at a chain called Jersey Mike's.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Went to pride fest in Portland today.... I was strolling through the main park and came across a farmers market opposite the pride festival..... There were fruits and vegetables everywhere... Hmmmmm.....
Prolly more fruits than vegetables.

Weasel, you will be made to intentionally flip upside down, bang on the bottom of kayak while 'hanging' there and then extricate yourself. You will be underwater for what may seem like a minute or so. Then you have to flip it over and get back in it. Bail or pump out the water. It's a blast.

And if you get hooked - don't buy a pealess whistle. You'll know what I mean. Don't get the first pfd you find - try on many - many. Don't buy from a catalogue.

Okay then. I woke up at almost 7 and waited for wife to get home at 8. We did some team aerobics and I slept until 130 in the afternoon. I needed the catch up sleep. Missed the sunrise but won't miss the sunset if the clouds cooperate. HAPPY SUMMER to the Northern Hemis.
Now preparing to face the insurance adjuster - this could be war.

Great discussion earlier. Thanks for putting it all into perspective.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Charlie - thanks for the post. She is bringing her young daughter and my husband will be there too, so alcohol not even an issue. I do hope we can be good friends again, but as you noted with your friend, the friendship changed, and I expect ours will be different too. Who knows, maybe it will be better! Sobriety has had a way of making my relationships so much better, so why not this one?
Old 06-21-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Gilmer, A Philly cheese steak - grilled pressed and frozen beef - think of "minute steaks" everyone. Cheese whiz - yes, that sheet that looks like yellow-orange paint with the same consistency, ketchup, and fried onions or peppers or mushrooms -no really Philly cheese steak has mushrooms. They pride themselves and compete over who makes the best one in 'town'. A true Philly cheese steak is a nasty concoction folks. They are deeelicious though. I also love in southern Cal when they advertise Chicago or New York style pizza. ???? Dough, sauce, cheese, - pizza.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

No pressed and frozen beef. Rather, either round or rib steak sliced extremely thin, and chopped with a knife. The famous stores, Geno's and Pat's, use Cheez Whiz (and that's my husband's preference); but a lot of places use melted unsmoked provolone. That's what I like.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Hi all, just checking in before I head to work for a few hours, I slept in, had a bit of heartburn last night, need to remember to take a acid blocker next time. Not too mention there is not snooze button on two hungry cats.

Anyway, holding strong. Today is another day and another battle with my inner voices. Am just glad I can come here for support.

Have a great day/evening/weekend take your pick. Too many time zones to keep track of. LOL
Old 06-21-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Weekenders!!!

Did someone say kewpie doll a few pages back? I thought I remembered that when I saw this at a yard sale this morning.

If anyone was going to have your flamingo lamp, Ruby, these folk would have!

Attached Images
image-2918161049.jpg (43.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-21-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

I had to have this!!!

Hope everyone is having a fabulous Saturday!
Attached Images
image-2630567202.jpg (90.1 KB, 40 views)