SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Decideid to stop tapering (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/335871-decideid-stop-tapering.html)

mje124 06-19-2014 07:50 AM

Decideid to stop tapering

Hi Guys

After a week from hell / hospitals etc and been told to taper I did quite successfully for 2 days

After yesterday really hating drinking I woke up this morning and thought enough

Spoke to my GP and we are organising some proper help for my anxieties etc and alcohol and I have some librium

Am nearly on 24 hours now - bit shaky / achy but I had an ECG in the hospital
am sure all aches are muscular due to vomiting

Just wanted some support from you lot

Mike

MandalayVA 06-19-2014 07:52 AM

Good job, dude. (salutes)

ScottFromWI 06-19-2014 08:01 AM

Congrats on making the decision mje. Tapering rarely works, glad you decided to bite the bullet and get some help to really quit.

Anna 06-19-2014 08:04 AM

Yay, great decision and I'm glad your dr is helping you with the process.

1newcreation 06-19-2014 08:05 AM

Hi mje
Know exactly wot you're talkin bout & feel. 'twas suggested to me by ex...smh why would bother listening to her but in any event all it did was p*** me off coz if I want to drink, want full effect! So decided going hardcore route: dt's, temp flactuations, bad insomnia & diarrhea. But my thinkin was having gone thru all that, will think twice next time a drink is put in front of me. Best decision I made & trust me that wasnt my dept so to speak coz my sanity is being restored now. Hang in there coz twill soon be over(mine was bout 5 days)
Best wishes

LBrain 06-19-2014 08:06 AM

GOOD CALL :c011:

mje124 06-19-2014 08:13 AM

thanks guys - don't know what I would do without you
Decided to fess up and I know tapering was just an excuse or would start to be to simply carry on

Can't wait for a clear head tomorrow

Mike

Addmik19 06-19-2014 08:24 AM

Tapering worked for me. It's definitely not for everyone. I was a hardcore drunk around 2 years. 24 pack of beer a night. Didn't take long to develop a beer gut lol. I'd drink less and less until I got down to 2 beers a night then quit. Hardly any withdraw symptoms. Some insomnia and slight shakes but no nausea. I've taught myself to drink in moderation. It was hard but can be done. Now I don't even crave the stuff. I can still go to dinner and if I want to drink a beer I'm satisfied with just one.

Hang in there man. Go get yourself some candy or ice cream. It helps to curb the cravings

cl9000 06-19-2014 08:36 AM

Great to hear you're getting a doctor's assistance. I've usually tapered when coming off a really awful bender, because I'm too stubborn to go to the doctor. But I admit it's a messed up feeling when all you want to do is get sober and you're doing it by... continuing to drink. I usually end up stopping earlier than planned because I get so sick of it.

Hang in there. It'll be a great feeling when the withdrawals go away and you get a good night's sleep.

hayley86 06-19-2014 09:01 AM

Hi Mike, great news that you're getting some help. You have tons of support here! Best wishes. :)

Hawkeye13 06-19-2014 09:03 AM

You'll feel better and better

Good job on contacting the doc and getting it done mje

Stoogy 06-19-2014 09:05 AM

Well done Mike, a great call.

Received 06-19-2014 10:13 AM

That's great to hear, Mike. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

anattaboy 06-19-2014 10:31 AM

Any which way we can! Congrats on day one!

PurpleKnight 06-19-2014 11:06 AM

Keep pushing through Mike!! You can do this!! :)