Notices

Has anyone not had cravings?

Old 06-18-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone not had cravings?

I everyone, I wanted to put something out there to see people's opinions. I had a very serious problem with drinking. I drank to excess since a teenager frequently getting more drunk than I wanted to be. Then I went through a very traumatic time and my drinking spiralled to the point where I was drinking two bottles of wine most nights. Six weeks ago I had enough of living like that, linked in with a treatment programme and stopped drinking.

In that time I have found the transition to living without alcohol relativity easy. In the early weeks the sheer relief of not being hungover was enough to get me through. I have had thoughts about alcohol but more habitual thoughts of getting some until I remember I don't drink anymore. I haven't experiences any time where I had cravings to drink or felt like a desire for alcohol would overpower me.

This is great in some ways but also leaving me very uneasy in my sobriety as I feel like I haven't been tested and when the craving does come I might crumble immediately. Also I think it's dangerous as the relative ease with which I have stopped may lead to me convincing myself I'm not a 'real' alcoholic, just someone who let their drinking get out of hand in response to a difficult time. I feel like if I start believing this I will attempt moderation and get back on the horrible treadmill again.

Has anyone else had this experience or have any advice or opinions?
Old 06-18-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Excuse my terrible grammar in the title - typo!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fixed the title for you

I've seen a whole variety of experiences during my time here at SR

I think it's really great that the past 6 weeks have been good for you. Sometimes we just reach that moment of decision and never look back.

I think it would be wishful thinking tho to expect you'll never be tempted again tho. That does seem to be a common note in most stories.

Stay prepared RM - if temptation happens, you be ready...if it never happens, no harm done

D
Old 06-19-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi RecoveringMay,

Like you I was drinking at least 2 bottles of wine a night sometimes plus a 1/2 of vodka. Many times I have tried to stop over the past 30 years, but always failed as the generally the withdrawal was so awful I would "just have one to calm my nerves". Today is my 10th day sober and whilst I had the sweats etc for a couple of days and poor sleep. I have not found it difficult to resist temptation. I think perhaps that when you finally commit consciously and perhaps more so, sub-conciously and make not drinking your goal, its easier than going down the old white knuckle ride!

On that ride, which I have done many times, you are constantly fighting the urge, the habit, everything to do as a result of your drinking history. When you stop fighting and realize if you keep drinking you will never win, then to some degree you can simply walk away and move on.

Ok I know its not quite that simple, booze thoughts pop into my head quite often, but they are bound to, I've thought of almost nothing else for decades, but they are just thoughts, I can choose whether I act on them or not, its my choice and and I choose not to.

I know with absolute certainty that even one beer could put me back to where I was 10 days ago, because the next time it will be two and then five etc, thats the nature of my relationship with booze and always will be. I never want to be in that place again, I just don't want to risk loosing what I have found.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The obsession to drink was lifted from day one. I drank for 26 years.

Why I was blessed with this gift, I have no idea. The only conclusion is that God has a greater plan for me than I had for myself.

I surrendered from the start, I was done. I know not a lot of people get that and I didn't the first time I quit so I do understand it.

I was given a gift that I do not intend to return. There are times I am doing something that causes the "habit ghost" to appear but they are fewer and farther between.

In times of difficulties I pray and I talk to people. I work through it instead of running from it and that can be very hard. The pain is so much more intense then it was when I drank but I have to learn to live through the pain. There is the other side I just have to get to it. When I do this, I am stronger the next time.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The past few attempts at stopping drinking I found incredibly hard. I wanted to drink and I used to go days without n friends would say u obviously don't have a problem if you can go days.
What they didn't see was that when there was drink in the house I used to swig spirits then buy to bottles of wine and hide one while drinking from the other so my hubby thought I was just having one.

I could have blown my marriage n family by doing this and having someone who I would never fancy in a million years flirt with me n send me explicit pics only when I was drunk. I never sent anything back but I never really tried to stop it until one day they tried to do it when I was sober n it repulsed me.
I told my wonderful husband and he was brilliant as he knew that I wouldn't do anything and that drink makes me not think straight.
Since then I have not once craved anything as I believe that I deserve to give my marriage and myself a chance at life.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

For alcoholics of my type the craving only kicks in after the first drink. That's why I could not guarantee what would happen after taking the first drink. My liver processes alcohol differently to normal people, so it's guaranteed that whenever I take the first drink, I will develop the craving.

The second more subtle part of my alcoholism is the obsession of the mind. What this meant was that I had no effective defence against the first drink. Instead of a huge battle to stay away from the first drink as you might expect once I had sworn off. I found my self drinking for the flimsiest of reasons, or even no reason at all. Swearing off in the morning then finding myself on my fifth drink that evening before I even remembered I wasn't going to drink, that was the pattern for me.

Sometimes it can be triggered by resentment, but the basics thing is that all the sane reasons for not drinking do not come to mind like they should. There was a complete familiar of the kind of defence that stops you putting your hand on a hot stove.

There doesn't always have to be a reason or excuse. Things can be going fine and then the crazy thought arrives out of no where, I'm just gona have one little drink. One surely won't hurt. Where does this thinking come from? And how do we find a defence? That's the question. The cravings aren't a problem until after we have taken the first drink.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
For alcoholics of my type the craving only kicks in after the first drink. That's why I could not guarantee what would happen after taking the first drink. My liver processes alcohol differently to normal people, so it's guaranteed that whenever I take the first drink, I will develop the craving.

The second more subtle part of my alcoholism is the obsession of the mind. What this meant was that I had no effective defence against the first drink. Instead of a huge battle to stay away from the first drink as you might expect once I had sworn off. I found my self drinking for the flimsiest of reasons, or even no reason at all. Swearing off in the morning then finding myself on my fifth drink that evening before I even remembered I wasn't going to drink, that was the pattern for me.

Sometimes it can be triggered by resentment, but the basics thing is that all the sane reasons for not drinking do not come to mind like they should. There was a complete familiar of the kind of defence that stops you putting your hand on a hot stove.

There doesn't always have to be a reason or excuse. Things can be going fine and then the crazy thought arrives out of no where, I'm just gona have one little drink. One surely won't hurt. Where does this thinking come from? And how do we find a defence? That's the question. The cravings aren't a problem until after we have taken the first drink.
That's almost as if I could've written that myself. My cravings other than those you mention, are only when I cannot deal with the withdrawal and need to try and drink to take the pain away. (which obviously stops working very quickly). Once the jitters go, I have no craving as such for a drink.

AND THEREIN LIES THE DANGER.

That's why I need recovery. Because I will get smart, forget, whatever you want to call it. I won't spend enough time in amongst people who understand my problem/condition/call it what you may. And I will be offered that drink.

And it won't hurt, then then 3 or 4 the next weeked won't hurt. Then it quickly starts to affect everything in a negative way. Then before you know it, you're fecked. And it's very, very difficult to pull back from that.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

GracieLou said what I feel....
Old 06-19-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

There was the story of Rowland H, who spent a year in the care of a prominent doctor to overcome his drinking problem. He came away absolutely convinced that the problem was solved. Within two weeks he was drunk.

What happened. Somebody asked him the wrong question and he gave the wrong answer.

Question "would you like a drink?" Answer " yes please" and that was the conclusion of a years psychoanalysis.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The obsession and compulsion have been lifted. Do I still think about drinking from time to time? Yup
Old 06-19-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 40 here and I had my first real hard day yesterday. Up until then, it has been relatively smooth sailing, but yesterday I couldn't stop thinking about how lovely a glass of wine would be. I also had crazy drinking dreams all last night...*whew*
up, having a coffee now before I walk to work in a bit.
Glad I didn't cave....but definitely need to stay vigilant.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecoveringMay View Post
This is great in some ways but also leaving me very uneasy in my sobriety as I feel like I haven't been tested and when the craving does come I might crumble immediately. Also I think it's dangerous as the relative ease with which I have stopped may lead to me convincing myself I'm not a 'real' alcoholic, just someone who let their drinking get out of hand in response to a difficult time. I feel like if I start believing this I will attempt moderation and get back on the horrible treadmill again.

Has anyone else had this experience or have any advice or opinions?
n the beginning, I was so friggin miserable I didn't want to drink. but eventually the fog lifted and there was the craving and compulsion. there were thoughts of "maybe im not an alcoholic."
IF I believed it I woulda ended up drunk again. fortunate for me I didn't completely destroy my memory. I knew it wasn't possible. I knew I was an alcoholic and could not control my drinking.

I don't think it has to do with the ease you've had at stopping drinking. I think it has more to do with yer thinking- how long was it that when difficult times you turned to alcohol? prolly a lot.
don't let your thoughts control you actions.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Hi. I have absolutely gone through looong periods of time where I had no desire to drink whatsoever. I went through 2 years sober once and during that time, drinking was the last thing on my mind. But then something clicked in my brain - it coincided with switching jobs - and one day I just decided to go get a pint of vodka. It wasn't really even a mad craving, it was just a kind of flippant attitude of "Well, what of it? I've not drank for 2 years and I don't think it will hurt to have some now." Ten years later I'm detoxing again. Mind you I didn't drink everyday during those 10 years. There were other periods of sobriety, but I drank for most of them, up to a 5th/day. So, its good you don't feel the cravings, but don't get lulled into a false sense of confidence. The AV is crafty and known to ambush us from time to time.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It was about a year and a half that I was drinking very heavily. But my relationship with alcohol has never been normal in retrospect.

Don't get me wrong it hasn't been all smooth sailing the past few weeks, all the emotions I've been trying to bury have been coming to the surface and it's been very tough in that regard but I guess I'm just surprised at how if haven't wanted to drink.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
The AV is crafty and known to ambush us from time to time.
indeed it is a crafty, wily bugger! I imagined it, stalking me, behind a bush...butt in the air, ears back....just biding its time to make its move!
what an a$$hole. I wish I had it's patience! LOL working on that
Old 06-19-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by RecoveringMay View Post
Also I think it's dangerous as the relative ease with which I have stopped may lead to me convincing myself I'm not a 'real' alcoholic, just someone who let their drinking get out of hand in response to a difficult time. I feel like if I start believing this I will attempt moderation and get back on the horrible treadmill again.
That's the ISM of alcohol-ISM. The idea that calendar days spent not-drinking, somehow treats alcoholism.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My whole day every day was spent either drinking or working hard to justify having "a few". Now that the alcohol is gone I have become very aware of how everything I did/do was enmeshed with This primary habit. Not everything I do must change but the "why" is a good question that I ponder often. The more I can be honest, the more I see how "that lying addictive voice" attempts to ease into every rational thought I have and I can address and dismiss it with extreme prejudice immediately. Mr. Barleycorn is parasite that can only enter an already-unconcious mind. He is also a coward so look him in the eye, call him the liar he is and he will run away.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by reisingwood1 View Post
Mr. Barleycorn is parasite that can only enter an already-unconcious mind. He is also a coward so look him in the eye, call him the liar he is and he will run away.
A coward and a quadriplegic. It can't do a damned thing without our help. So, what say we never help it again?!
Old 06-19-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My hangup is cold hard liquor. I can drink a beer, have a glass of wine, even have something like an Irish coffee, and can walk away after one. Give me a rum and Coke or a screwdriver? I'm done for. I'm on day 24 and the only time drinking's crossed my mind was last weekend when I was bored. I found something to do, the thought went away. I know who my enemy is and it's not coming into my camp anymore.