Notices

My story....

Old 06-28-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

you can do AA and not do the 'religion'. Some say it is, some say it aint. Go as a fact finding mission. Do not discount what AA can do for you. You do NOT have to get all religious to receive the benefits it has to offer. When they say you need a higher power, tell them you have a higher power and it is your own. Make SR your higher power until you figure it out. My higher power is knowledge.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks LBrain....I have to at least try. I am going with a friend of a friend and she says it is best to do 90 meetings in 90 days, get a sponsor right away and do the 12 steps and get a Big Book. It sounds like so much. What if I can't make 90 meetings in 90 days? Do I HAVE to get a sponsor to check in with every day? It's just all so new.....
Old 06-28-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

fleur, do what you feel comfortable doing. just try not to get turned off by it right away. so many newcomers are overwhelmed by the many suggestions (or demands) put on them. And the get god or get gone attitude of many. You do not have to get a sponsor and do the steps right away. You do not have to do 90 in 90. Many AAers will say I'm wrong. But many in AA long term have different opinions on that as well. Some sponsors think you aren't even ready for step 4 for a year. There are no rules or magic formula. Just have an open mind and take it all in. Every AA group has extra big books - borrow one and read it. If you want one, get one. Just show up and take it slow. Listen and learn.
Sure 90 in 90 is good to keep you occupied and having it drilled into your head. I'd try to make as many meetings as you can. When you get an idea what is going on you can make an informed decision on how to continue. Good luck.

Look into alternative to aa programs. See the secular connections forum and read up on it. AVRT works for me.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I never went to AA......
Old 07-08-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

What did you do? Are you still sober? Have you adopted any form of 'recovery'?

As long as are comfortable and maintaining your goal, the method to do that is up to you.