Notices

After Day 5

Old 06-19-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After Day 5

Well, thankfully, with the help of all of you, I have made it to day 6. What a week that was.

Now that the physical symptoms have finally died down, I got bulldozed with the mental part. Shame, guilt, lies...overwhelming to think of everything I have done to myself and the people I care about. Really hits you when you finally have a clear head......

Will continue to take one day at a time and accept what I have done. I can't change the past. I have no one to blame but myself.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Congrats on 5 days!

Nothing makes amends for the past better than creating a brighter future. Keep it up!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job on 5 Days!!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats Luper! I remember my first few days in recovery and believe me it does get better! They told me that I NEVER had to feel this way again and they were right! Keep going strong, find a program like AA and work it like your life depends on it, cause it does!

All the best!
Old 06-19-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day five.
The guilt and regret can be overwhelming. I've been sober three and a half years, and there are still thoughts of regret of some of the things I've done, and things I've missed, while drunk or hungover.
The good news is, it never has to happen again. I live my life truthfully fulfilling my obligations and responsibly. The best I can anyway.
Maybe where possible you can make amends for your misdeeds. That can be a load off your chest.
Wish I had the answer, but the ghosts of my past still haunt me, too.

I agree to try AA. It can be immensely helpful in dealing with these issues.
I wish you the best.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Luper.

I know just how you feel about the remorse. Please be kind and patient with yourself as you heal. None of us sets out to cause trouble or sabotage ourselves. Thankfully, we never have to return to that awful place, as Ghostlight said.

Congrats on your 5 days - you're doing great.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

5 days are awesome, and the first few days are always the worst..... As you said, you can't change the past, but the future is all yours to redecorate as you please.... Recovery also have different stage to go through, just like grief does.... It just keep getting better and better...... Congrats and good luck,,,,,,
Old 06-19-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by Luper View Post
Well, thankfully, with the help of all of you, I have made it to day 6. What a week that was.

Now that the physical symptoms have finally died down, I got bulldozed with the mental part. Shame, guilt, lies...overwhelming to think of everything I have done to myself and the people I care about. Really hits you when you finally have a clear head......

Will continue to take one day at a time and accept what I have done. I can't change the past. I have no one to blame but myself.
Hi Luper! I get caught up in the same spiral every time I quit. The shame, guilt, and regret can really demotivate you so you have to let it go. There is no changing what's done. All you can do is move forward. You can try to right some of the wrongs but a lot of the time you simply can't. So, what do you do about that? Nothing you can do. Shame, guilt, and regret left me feeling hopeless many times, and that led me back to the bottle. Look ahead. It's the only place you can go without going backward, and I don't think you wanna go there again!

And congrats on 5 days!!