Notices

New around here

Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New around here

Hey all. Been lurking for a few days. I'm 7 days sober and really could use some support from people who understand. I got sober for two years a couple of years ago using CBT but then wanted to be "normal" and moderate. You all know how that went right? It escalated. I didn't quite make it back to the amounts I was drinking before daily but I was well on my way. Waking up with fear and dread and an upset stomach each day and disgusted with myself. Something just clicked. I had it. I'm done.

This choice feels waaay different than my first quit. The first quit I wanted to drink but wouldn't let myself but this time I don't want it. At all. In that respect it is going well except that I'm so emotional. My husband tries to be supportive but he doesn't really understand recovery and has never had a problem with addiction. I feel like he thinks I'm a crazy woman and he says that is not so but it sure sucks to feel like an intermittent crying mess around someone y'know?

I've been fairly isolated online and offline since I have problems with social anxiety but I'm tired of hiding too so here I am. I look forward to getting to know you guys!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

cheer up sleepyjean. You're not the first - or the last - to figure out the hard way that we just can't control our drinking.

Congrats on a week and that you made the decision to quit for good this time.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 7 days, all of us are on a sober journey together.
Take care
Old 06-18-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!

Congrats on a week sober, and your decision to start living a sober life.

One week in I was a hot mess - irritable and moody all the time. It gets better, give it time and do the things you need to do to feel good about your sober life.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Sleepyjean,

My fiance does not understand addiction either so he encourages me to go on SR and post with people who understand. He is very supportive also but like you I think he must think I am nuts. GO easy on yourself and let the feelings flow. A supportive husband is nice to have by your side. Congrats on 7 days.
  # 6 (permalink)  

First week, CONGRATS!!! This place has made a real difference in my recovery, not only by my posts but by reading what others have expressed.

Welcome to SR.
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR SleepyJean. You are not alone, most of us have been down the moderation road many times and found the same dead end you did. SR is a great place to share and learn, glad you chose to join in. Congrats on your week sober as well, that's no small feat and you should be proud.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sleepyjean. You will find a lot of support and helpful advice from the good people here. This place has been instrumental in helping me stay sober for the last 10 months. My life has gotten so much better. Now, I actually look forward to the 6 o'clock alarm.

Good luck on your sober journey. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome you guys! That first post is always a little nerve wracking for me but you guys are a friendly bunch. Yes, I have learned my moderation lesson for sure. For me, "normal" and alcohol do not work. I'll be glad when this emotional soup settles but I'll take it. It means I'm sober and feeling my feelings and that is a good thing.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, sleepyjean, to SR, and congratulations on one week. You have a lot of company here, especially when it comes to attempts at moderation. I couldn't moderate either though I desperately wanted to; I failed every single time.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to Forum sleepyjean!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Jean...you're hubby may not understand but we sure do.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jean

D
Old 06-18-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober weeks. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Welcome, sleepyjean! I'm on day 6 so I can relate to a lot of what you're saying about having been sober and then thinking you could moderate. And yep, I know exactly how that went! You've come to the right place for helpful support, advice, and just people who are willing to listen. Glad you're here!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you sleepyjean. You're among people who truly understand what you're going through. Glad to have you with us.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Welcome to SR, SleepyJean!

You'll find a lot of folks here that understand what you're going through.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard.

Tried the moderation train many times, but it always failed and in many ways had the opposite effect, because once I realized I couldn't moderate, I sort of "re-committed" to drinking even heavier than ever. My AV convinced me that is just "who I was," a load of bull. Congrats on 7 days, it does get easier
Old 06-18-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the warm welcome and the understanding. I'm feeling better tonight. Got a walk in this evening which helped too. Now that I'm looking back I can be honest with myself and admit that I thought drinking was just a bad habit and if I got sober I could learn to moderate like a "normal" person. My AV is slick. I know now that moderation is not an option for me and I'm really OK with never drinking again.

Thanks for the video Aarryckha. I've always liked that song. Saw the Monkees reunion tour in high school. One of my guilty pleasures.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congratulations on seven days. That's great. I thought Daydream Believer when I saw your name. I unapologetically like that song.

I was a crazy woman at around seven days. Everything up and down and quickly changing. It will level out as you get used to not drinking.

Hang around here for support. It really helped me a lot in the early days and still does.