Notices

Sulking

Old 06-18-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sulking

Anyone manage to quit for a week or so and then resent the fact that you "can't"get drunk anymore? As in "what is the harm" just one night wasted then starting over. I am done with drinking, and really enjoy my mornings and days sober, but gave up my week sober last night for no good reason. It doesn't make sense.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by NewFighter View Post
It doesn't make sense.
It's addiction.

You should look up AVRT (addictive voice recognition technique). It explains the "voice" in our head and why we are so easily talked into drinking, despite our repeated vows to quit.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yep.

probably pretty much all of us.

stick it out. it's worth it.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I spent a year of that cycle, but the problem I needed to work out was that a period of abstinence does not in some way cure or fix me, 1 drink will lead to the same conclusion.

So I needed to sort out the 1 drink, and accept keeping that door firmly closed was the answer to the problem!!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep, it's very common to resent it and go back to drinking. In fact it's more likely than staying sober unfortunately.

Many times the reason people do this is that they simply quit drinking without having any kind of recovery plan in place. There are many different ways to get sober, but simply "not drinking" is not one of them. Some use AA/NA, some use AVRT, some use counseling, outpatient or inpatient treatment, some use online comuniteis like SR, and some use a combination of many.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have had a hard time coming to grips that I am out of control, Obviously I first joined SR in the Summer of 2011. Anyone else? By the grace of God haven't had legal or financial issues....yet. Because of social reprocussions I havne't sought outside help my doctor ect are also clients of mine. Scared to go to a meeting for fear of knowing others there, am I doomed to fail over and over? Has anyone been sucessful with descreet help methods?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did not go to Alanon or Celebrate Recovery meetings b/c I was so scared I would know someone there. I ended up going, and that did happen. Thing is, they were there for the same reason, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes I did, many times. There never was a good reason and I always wished I hadn't drank. That was a constant.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I feel the same way bloss. Hated the all to familar hangover hell this morning, and all to familiar routine to "get through work" Although last night was like a long good bye knowing it has to stop and I really enjoyed (too much) the numbing and checking out.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Anyone else "mourn" the loss of booze? The vacations, the dates out with my spouse. Our favorite places center around having drinks together although he is able to have a few and leave it alone.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewFighter View Post
I have had a hard time coming to grips that I am out of control, Obviously I first joined SR in the Summer of 2011.
SR join date? December 2006.
Apparently I too have had "hard time coming to grips that I am out of control".
Put together some sobriety in 06/07..drank.
Came back last year. Was here bout 4 or so months.
Yup back again...3 weeks sober..today I believe.

I hit AA the first time in my 20's...

I having been kicking that poor hope-for-control cat for years.

I really hope that poor thing is dead....I think she's down for the count...and she gets back up again.

I just got get up everyday and keep kicking til she's dead.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep, just recently dealt with it and I started actually crying in a mix of emotions. Sad and angry because I can't drink, sad and angry that I can't just have a couple and be happy. those thoughts are going away and I am embracing my sobriety and I am starting to think that it is cool to be sober, to feel great, to be able to drive, to look amazing, to not have hangovers, to save money...

Everything is starting to get better. It's your AV and you have to put it in its place!!!

Don't worry about sulking, we are all here to listen to you and believe me: it is totally normal and it DOES get better.

L
Old 06-18-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So true, it takes time, but the urges (IMO) tend to be less frequent, the longer one remains sober. What worked for me was not projecting into the future too far, just taking it day by day.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

NewFighter - You're definitely not alone. I 100% know the feeling...the "it's just one drink" that leads to "screw it, I'll start tomorrow" which leads to waking up feeling like hell and starting the cycle again.

I'm a newbie so no really "advice" but what you're thinking and feeling are totally what goes through all of our heads at some point.

I've also not gone to AA for the same reason you've mentioned. I've been using this site and also following some sober blogs which have helped tremendously. I still want to get up the courage to get to a meeting at least once though....we'll see.

Good luck, keep posting!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's the nature of the beast. Hope you explore some recovery programs and techniques out there... AA, SMART, AVRT, etc. because the additional support can make all the difference. Some use SR alone. Find what gets the job done, for you. You can do it.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I did a LOT of sulking in my early sobriety. Gradually I focused on the acceptance and reality that I cannot drink again. Alcohol and I have a very bad relationship. If alcoholics were able to moderate alcohol and not have negative consequences, trust all of us; we would have found it. Instead, we are here like you. We are all on this journey together. My wish for you is that you can find some acceptance around your relationship with alcohol and let drinking go so you can move on with your life
Old 06-18-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes, so ready to enjoy living life again
Old 06-18-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Love this Nuudawn, keep kicking c011:

I having been kicking that poor hope-for-control cat for years.

I really hope that poor thing is dead....I think she's down for the count...and she gets back up again.

I just got get up everyday and keep kicking til she's dead.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-18-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I mourned the loss of alcohol in my life every day, even before I quit, knowing that I had to quit. I still miss having one once in a while. I could never stop at one though. I hated the idea of a vacation and no alcohol. Dinner out and no alcohol. Feeling stressed out and no alcohol. Feeling happy and no alcohol. Obviously, alcohol was a huge part of mg life so it isnt surprising that I would miss it. Even now I get twinges but I keep going. I dont miss the wreck my life was becoming. It doesnt seem fair that some people can have one or two and stop and I cant but I cant now change that. hang in there.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us did

My relationship with drugs and alcohol is probably the longest relationship, outside family I've ever had...toxic at it was, it would be odd for that relationship ending not to leave a wrench.

I don't know about anyone else, but I started as a teen and I pretty much stayed emotionally a teen for nearly 30 years too.

Fortunately reality has a way of making you grow up fast...

I really enjoy being an adult now