Notices

Yard Work and NERVES

Old 06-18-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yard Work and NERVES

I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but doing lawn work, especially mowing, is one of my biggest triggers. Can't remember the last time I did it sober. Just seemed to go hand in hand for me.

Today I have to do it, and I am nervous. It's hot and humid too, which is driving the little devil on my shoulder to say...a cold beer would be nice.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't do a ton of yard work right now, but one of my favorite memories of drinking in the early days (just months after I started) was planting flowers with a nice buzz. I'll always remember that, the first few drinks seemed to motivate me back then. Oh, the good ol' days, they are so long gone..
Old 06-18-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Totally makes sense to me! Part of the work in sobriety is retraining ourselves and developing new habits. Take on this project in little chunks giving yourself a break to come on inside and cool off. Pour yourself a glass of ice cold water, soda, iced tea...something different. The only way through this stuff is through it. Don't avoid but figure out a new way to do things. You got this
Old 06-18-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yup, give me a mower and a warm summer day and I can still have the thought of an ice cold beer.
great thing is I don't have to act on them thoughts today.
id suggest workin on turning your thoughts to something more useful while doin the yard work. maybe think about things yer greatful for.