Notices

Replacing one addiction for another

Old 06-18-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Replacing one addiction for another

I'm definitely struggling with not allowing myself to get addicted to something else now I've quit drinking.

Sex is one, I have a girlfriend and I'm not a cheater so I'm not putting myself in any kind of dangerous situation (going to bars etc) but the amount I think about it since I quit is ridiculous.

Exercise is another, but that's actually quite beneficial. My problem is what to do with myself when I'm not at the gym.

Food is another major one, I work out a lot so all this has amounted to is being a little tubby as opposed to obese. I've kind of let this one slide for now, the six pack can wait if it means having an ice cream instead of a whiskey.

Video games, once again, fine in moderation, probably not the best of ideas to spend about a week watching E3 game trailers.

Anyone else having this? It's like I have all this addictive energy I need to put into something.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah, I've just recognised some potential things that feel like I'm binge eating flaring up now I'm under prolonged stress.

I don't like it.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Oh yeah, I have a difficult time doing much of anything in moderation, including coming to SR. I tend to be a little OCD at times and have to force myself to stop doing certain things that I've taken to extremes. As an adjunct to that, I have a very difficult time staying focused on things I should be focused on, like work!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

well hey if you're gonna have an addictive outlet.... sex and exercise are pretty dang decent alternatives!!

Old 06-18-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think an addictive personality is something you can't really get rid of, so it's a case of finding productive things to get obsessed with.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree... as a 'zero or a thousand' person pretty much all my life, this is a conclusion I've come to as well.

Positive outlets for such tendencies;

exercise
mindfulness
sex (assuming 'healthy' sexual pursuits... this can be a big trap area)
volunteerism and social 'giveback'
chores and life responsibilities
creative pursuits

the list is probably never-ending and various but these are some areas that I find it helpful to try and channel my 'addictive personality'.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
I think an addictive personality is something you can't really get rid of, so it's a case of finding productive things to get obsessed with.
Yeah, like macrame.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, I noticed that I have general addictive tendencies -- always chasing a vague dream instead of appreciating what's right in front of me or using what I already have is a big part of it.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForgetfulKevin View Post
Yes, I noticed that I have general addictive tendencies -- always chasing a vague dream instead of appreciating what's right in front of me or what I already have is a big part of it.
Yeah I'm absolutely trying to work on being more content with what I have. I have the kind of personality that if I were a millionaire I'd probably convince myself I wouldn't be happy until I was a billionaire.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

with regards to sex and going to the gym, it`s well documented that quitting alcohol will increase your testosterone levels, so that`s quite normal to feel increased urges to do these things.
what i`v started doing is stacking Silver, I wouldn`y say it`s addictive exactly, but it can become an obsession.
all the money I would have peed down the toilet has been turned into silver bullion bars, needless to say after handling a few kilos of this, you`ll want more!
and to be honest, I don`t really care if I do get hooked on it, it won`t kill me, I`ll have something postive to show for it, it`ll eventually subsidise my pension that I should now live long enough to see
Old 06-18-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think most of us with addiction history have problems with moderation in a few ways, not only regarding our drug of choice. I personally find that the further I get from my drinking time, the more my obsessive thoughts and impulses subside. But I think there will probably always be some.

In my experience, what helps develop a healthier relationship with many things is when I let go of trying to control everything. Instead, give myself what I want, given it's not harmful. What FreeOwl said, for example, again in a healthy way. Also, try to introduce variety in your days instead of doing the same things over and over. This takes a bit of work in the beginning, exactly because we are hooked on certain specific things even just in our thoughts, but if there is variety in our activities, it's more likely that the obsessive tendencies will dissipate more.

I sometimes let myself do some things (that do not involve substances or other harm) to excess for a while, until I get bored/tired with it. Having hobbies is not a bad thing after all. Maybe make a schedule in advance that allows enough time for these things but also for what needs to be done. Easier said than done, but might be worth trying.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think being organised in time scheduling is important. For example I used to swim for around 3 hours a day- which is too much to the point of being detrimental to my training. So I decided in advance how long I was going to swim and stuck to it, now I'd say I enjoy it in a much "healthier" way.

I'm going to try that with video games. Because I love video games, but they are pretty much custom built for a addictive personality.