Notices

Trying something new

Old 06-17-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying something new

Hello,
Still a little hesitant about this decision but I have failed so many times on my own I need to change something so here goes.

I have been drinking nearly 20 years straight, and can seeming count the number of days without, it is that bad. I don't know how it happened I don't care I just need help.

I have so much to say but seeing as this is my first post will go slow.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome gottatry - it's not failure if you keep trying. SR is a great place to learn what works for others, stick around and join in the conversation if you choose - or there is much reading to be done as well.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey gottatry, Welcome to the Forum!!

You'll find loads of support here, great job on making the decision to make a change!!
Old 06-17-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm a newbie, but can tell you you'll find a tremendous amount of support and advice.

For what it's worth, in my initial post two weeks ago I took the opposite approach that you have and threw a kitchen sink full of information out there. My opinion was that the more folks here knew about me the more I could get the proper help I need. Not implying it's the best approach, just that writing that it worked for me.

I wish you well.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR family!

20 years is what I packed as well. Sober since may 30. If I can so can you ;-)

One day at a time. Telling you it's easy would be a lie but it's so much better. Specially waking up without a hangover and rested.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anything I should know about the site to help me out?
Old 06-17-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! I was a 'serial quitter' too. The best stretches so far (including right now) have been with the help of AA. Worth a try perhaps?
Old 06-17-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anyone quit without AA? Just using this site for support?
Old 06-17-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gottatry View Post
Lots! The research concerning recovery is pretty flaky but non AA methods can be effective too. Personally I go as much for the fellowship of other people who know exactly what I have gone through. Helps me hugely.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by gottatry View Post
I don't think I know anyone for whom AA was a first choice. Probably the majority of problem drinkers recover with the help of SR And /or the many alternatives about which you will hear on this site.

As we go down the scale, there are some like me who fail at the alternatives. If we don't die on the journey, which does happen, we end up in AA as the last resort. As one psychiatrist put it on the radio the other day, " AA is a fantastic organisation for the more serious cases" (of alcohol use disorder). He also said there is a new generation of much better informed doctors and services for people with less advanced alcohol use disorder.

Of course the nature of alcoholism is that it will try and convince us that our case is less advanced, we are not that bad ( yet!).
Old 06-17-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AA is a WE program. WE admitted WE were powerless... I go for the fellowship too. Nobody understands what a drunk is going through better than another drunk. And my recovery is about learning a whole new way to live, not just quitting drinking. Meetings help me stay focused and remind me I don't want to ever go back to that old life. They give me a safe (as in safe for my sobriety) place to socialize, are something to do when I'm board, and WE laugh. A lot!
Old 06-17-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi gottatry
you sound a lot like me - I had 20 years of basically daily drinking too.

I just used SR, but there's a lot of methods on offer here. Some people need the face
to face support.

I recommend you read around a little, and post as much as you like. The more support you can garner the better it will be for you

Welcome

D
Old 06-17-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I will continue to read the posts, any recommendations as to where to start? I still don't feel comfortable putting stuff out there, I hope one day soon I will be braver and be more open.