Notices

3 Days....

Old 06-17-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 Days....

Hi I'm new here. Having a tough time. Have three days sober today. Been down this road many times before but I can not live like this anymore. I have been on a consistent path of staying sober and relapsing for a day or a few days for about two years now. I feel really crappy today (mentally-really beating myself up) but I am trying to remind myself that I can't change the past. Just need to make it through today...
Old 06-17-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My mantra is one hour at a time. Didn't work for me yesterday, but I'm not giving up the fight. Neither should you.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I went through that cycle hundreds of times. Dumping out the booze, solemn oaths and vicious hangovers. Never stopped me. After the third day, I was feeling better, could function again and 'Hey' I can drink!
No, we can't change the past. But we can change the future. One day at a time.
It's been three and a half years sober for this falling down drunk. So it can be done.
Have you considered AA, or another support group? They can be invaluable.

Remember how you feel now the next time you want to drink. That works great for me, along with coming here and reading stories like yours. I know I'm one drink away from a drunk, but I don't have it in me. Alcohol beat me. It won. I gave up. You can too.

Best to you.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

Great job on 3 Days!! You'll find loads of support here!!
Old 06-17-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ghostlight, Thank you. Yes I have been to AA before and am considering going back. I also go to outpatient treatment and see a private therapist. I thought this site would also be helpful. Reading through other peoples posts and posting my own thoughts so far has been helpful today. Certainly reminds me I am not alone

Gonnachange, Thank you as well. Glad your not giving up THANKS for the encouragement!
Old 06-17-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome aboard KeepOn....

Whatcha gonna do DIFFERENT this time?

You say you're 'considering' going back to AA.

I wonder, why just considering?

What have you done in the past, what have you NOT done, what proven avenues to sobriety have you not given an honest shot.

HONESTY and ACTION

Those two things will help you succeed.

Get totally down and dirty HONEST with yourself
Set a course not only of intent - but of ACTION

If we don't change nothin'..... nothin' changes.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome KeepOn. I too have been in the vicious cycle of drinking-swearing off it-drinking again. Just last week I made it to four days, only to mess up again. Had an awful weekend. Today I am on day 2 and determined to see it through this time.

Lots of support here, glad you found us.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

FreeOwl, Thanks for your feedback. I am currently in outpatient treatment and see an individual therapist. I am about to move this week so once things get settled I am thinking AA might be a good option but things are a little crazy right now. Thought SR was a good addition to my routine to change it up as well. I am not ruling anything out and AA has offered me a lot in the past so I think going back would be very helpful.

Avra, Glad you made it to day 2. Sorry to hear you had such a tough weekend. I'm glad I found this site too. Hopefully you made it through today. Let me know.