Notices

please help me understand (im new)

Old 06-17-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

please help me understand (im new)

Hi my name is Laura and im new here. I just need to get my feelings out there, so here goes.

I was in a relationship with a chronic alcoholic for a year and a half. his name was Steven and I loved him dearly. He was great with my 2 kids and we had this instant connection, he moved in after 3 days (huge mistake)

to cut a long story short I noticed quite quickly that he drank a lot, yet when I asked if there was an isue he said no, finally after 5 months he admitted it, but told me he was going to get better, a hope I clung onto for a long time. things got gradually worse. He was drinking more, we could never go out without him falling asleep, everything was my fault, he verbally and physically abused me, stole all my confidence, didn’t work, I paid for verything, he had lost his driving licence through drink so I ran him everywhere, basically gave him everything I could, until it just got too much. I sent him packing back to his mums but I always gave in and he came back, but now he has moved on and met someone else, and im heartbroken. I know in my mind it wasn’t a good relationship to be in but I cant forget how good it was when it was good. why do I feel this way?
I think about him contantly and cant believe he can just walk away from the family he had and move on within days to someone else? hes cutting his drinking down and seems to really want to change for this girl. why was I not enough?
Old 06-17-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Laura.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been through so much with your relationship with Steven. Unfortunately addiction causes behaviour that makes no sense, the addict (and I was one) will do anything to get their drug of choice even if it threatens their relationships, jobs or homes.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Probably you enabled him by accepting a bunch of bad behavior. He may have lost respect for you because you allowed him to mistreat you. I know my husband did not respect me for 18 years. Now I tell him calmly but definitely when he crosses the line.

It may hurt for awhile, but in time you will be OK again. I'm sure his problems will resurface with this new woman.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi MrsP, it must be really painful for you and the kids, but I'm sure you know it's done you a big favour once the initial grief recedes. Not so for the poor lady he's picking on now. Just to sum up:
- He was an alcoholic and lied to you about it
- He verbally and physically abused you
- He let you support him
- You were his chauffeur
- He blamed you for his problems
I bet he's been repeating this pattern all his life, and you're just one of a string of women who've supported him in the way he's accustomed to.
Please don't let him within cooee of you or the kids no matter what he says or does. And be careful of letting any men you don't know well near your kids, because they target vulnerable mothers.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If he is just cutting down for the other girl, the unfortunate odds are that he will be right back where he was. For the sake of your children, move on and be thankful they aren't being brought up by an active alcoholic....I am sure it's hard, focus on yourself and keep chugging ahead.....
Old 06-17-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Mrspeanut,

I'm sorry for your pain and what brings you here, but I would imagine things aren't so great with the new girl even if it seems that way right now....an untreated alcoholic will continue to drink unless and until they decide to get help.

You are worth far better treatment than you received at the hands of your ex....I hope you will believe that as well someday soon!
Old 06-17-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is just speculation, but I imagine he knows what he did to you was wrong. If he ever decides to get sober, one of the first things that is going to "come back" to him is the wrong that he did. I'm newly recovered and I'm a guy and I cried a lot last week. And I didn't even really harm others with my drinking. I mostly harmed myself and people felt bad for me. The worst thing I did was lie to people and tell them that I'm not drinking anymore, when I was. Even something as small as that comes back rushing back and hurts when you get sober. "How could I let drinking do this to me??" These people care about me!
Old 06-17-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

it reads like you would have been a perfect candidate for a relationship for me when I was drinking. I didn't have relationships- I took hostages. id set a ransom and if that was met, a new ransom would be put in its place. if the ransom wasn't met, forceful coercion would be used until it was, that included some very sick behavior. if that didn't work, I was gone.
"I know in my mind it wasn’t a good relationship to be in but I cant forget how good it was when it was good. why do I feel this way?"
welp, I think theres the possibility that its normal to feel that. could be grieving.

"hes cutting his drinking down and seems to really want to change for this girl. "
don't believe it. if he follows my pattern, he'll be drinkin heavily real quick and have another hostage.

"why was I not enough? "
no matter what ya did, it would never be enough-for him. but that does not mean you are not an awesome woman. ya made a bad choice- one I hope you don't forget.

the best move any woman I was ever with was to throw me out of their life or walk away from me when I was drinking. it was the best move for them.

I would suggest taking time to look at yourself and find out exactly why ya let this happen. im thinkin this isn't the 1st time something similar has happened. is there a pattern goin on in your relationship?
Old 06-17-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's normal when a relationship ends to look back fondly on the good times and perhaps let the bad times be less significant in your mind. Being verbally and physically abused by a partner is not acceptable, under any circumstances. He will treat his new partner in exactly the same way until he gets help. You and your children deserve better than him.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mrspeanut View Post
I think about him contantly and cant believe he can just walk away from the family he had and move on within days to someone else? hes cutting his drinking down and seems to really want to change for this girl. why was I not enough?
Is it possible this is exactly what he did in the early days with you? Put his best foot forward, let the woman get to know his potential, and then relax once he feels its safe to do so?

He may not be that calculating, but the amazing thing in sobriety is to look back and see the patterns of relationship problems. I could never manage to commit to marriage - in retrospect I believe it was tacit knowledge that I was exactly like my alcoholic mother and did not want to recreate that havoc (yet did not want to give up what alcohol did for me).

It's hard, but please don't analyze this as being about you - it absolutely is not. It's about him, and being able to drink without consequences. Don't ever fool yourself into thinking that he can fix himself just by being "in love." If love were enough to prevent alcoholism, you wouldn't see any stories like yours in this forum. The sad truth is, your story is not unique and the odds are that so long as someone will take him in, he will continue to drink.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi my name is Laura and im new here. I just need to get my feelings out there, so here goes.

I was in a relationship with a chronic alcoholic for a year and a half. his name was Steven and I loved him dearly. He was great with my 2 kids and we had this instant connection, he moved in after 3 days (huge mistake)

to cut a long story short I noticed quite quickly that he drank a lot, yet when I asked if there was an isue he said no, finally after 5 months he admitted it, but told me he was going to get better, a hope I clung onto for a long time. things got gradually worse. He was drinking more, we could never go out without him falling asleep, everything was my fault, he verbally and physically abused me, stole all my confidence, didn’t work, I paid for verything, he had lost his driving licence through drink so I ran him everywhere, basically gave him everything I could, until it just got too much. I sent him packing back to his mums but I always gave in and he came back, but now he has moved on and met someone else, and im heartbroken. I know in my mind it wasn’t a good relationship to be in but I cant forget how good it was when it was good. why do I feel this way?
Hi and welcome. On this site is a forum titled Friends and Families that would be very helpful along with Al Anon meetings in your area.
I would suggest re reading your post perhaps to see how you became a hostage to a manipulator alcoholic, a person who until they get sober for a long period is usually very untrustworthy. We did/said most anything to continue to drink. The big thing is we need to get sober for ourselves first.

BE WELL
Old 06-17-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yours is a description of how a good man and drink fall through into being an abusive alcoholic, his future is his , he didn't move on he changed partners where he will beg borrow and steal till that ends , then if he cant get anyone else he'll be back to his Mums or even worse knocking on your door.
If he finds help he has a chance of becoming himself again but it takes time and effort and is very frightening and confusing , but that's for him not you.
You have done nothing wrong he had all the qualities you liked though he also added a few that we're not.
Get your life back and move on, if you end up in another relationship with a drinker gone wrong be strong and firm and supportive, moderation in a problem drinker never really works its sober or over. You are worth more.
John.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

there's a book you may benefit from reading, called

"Co-dependent no more"

by Melody Beattie
Old 06-17-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

I know in my mind it wasn’t a good relationship to be in but I cant forget how good it was when it was good. why do I feel this way? I think about him contantly...
The very same thing could be said of alcoholism and our relationship with alcohol, both while we're drinking and particularly once we've first ended the relationship as a means of saving our lives. Just substitute the word 'alcohol' or 'it' for the word 'him' in the second sentence. Different addiction, same process.

He did you a favor by placing you in a position in which you either get involved in the business of living your own life, or in which you stay stuck by ruminating about the "good times."

When you work on living a better life, the heartbreak will fade, and you'll wonder why it was that you ever got so upset about losing such a toxic partner.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Hi and welcome. As far as this "hostage taker," as another user so accurately put it, is concerned, his behavior is not likely to change consistently, no matter who he is with. He may clean up his act temporarily, but until he is ready and willing to make real, serious changes, he will not change.

Maybe the issue you should be dealing with more is why you would put up with someone like him. You said you sent him packing, but then you took him back, in spite of verbal and physical abuse, lying, mooching off of you, and all that other bad stuff. What issues do you need to address within yourself that would cause you to allow such abusive behavior to be perpetrated against you? Never mind him. His problems are his responsibility to address, but I worry more about you. You sound like a very kind-hearted, compassionate, and generous woman. You deserve so much better than the likes of him.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Laura!!

When addiction is involved it's very difficult to understand events, this new girl definitely didn't cause him to change his life, only an addict can do that, plus he used you with giving very little back, so it could happen the same way, didn't he tell you he was going to change at one point? it could all be Deja vu in time!!
Old 06-17-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome:

Short and to the point:

Others will do to you what you let them do to you.

Be thanksful he is gone and never take him back.

Focus on yourself and your kids, you guys deserve better.

L
Old 06-17-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This too shall pass
Old 06-17-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Don't take any blame for his bad behavior. He had an abusive problem before he ever met you. You could be perfect and he would still abuse you or anyone he gets close to, mentally if not physically. That's how people like that just are.

You are probably missing the "honeymoon phases". Check out the Cyle of Abuse online. And you can't always blame alcohol for abusive behavior either. Getting sober may not make him a good guy.

Just be glad you're away from him now, and hopefully you won't take him back if he tries to wiggle back in your life. I know it's hard to let go at first. You can find someone better someday