Notices

Not such a great day :(

Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not such a great day :(

Feeling a lil lost, sad don't fit anywhere . Don't want to do anything . Not enjoying life need something for me . A job , lost my confidence been a mum forever. Looking for a good day soon.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Liss ,

Things will change given time , keep on with the right path

When we're sober we open ourselves up to lots of good things happening , it takes a bit of time that's all .

Keep resolute , you can do this , good things will happen ..

Bestwishes, m
Old 06-17-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It will all get better Liss Just remember that by drinking we hold ourselves back from our true potential, hang on in there and the awards of sobriety will come
Old 06-17-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Liss, keep your head up. You'll soon find your way. It's important now to get some sober time. As you move forward the opportunities will find you. Work on the little things to bring some joy into your heart.
Sending positive vibes your way.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Liss...I think it's natural to feel empty, like there is a bit of a void in our lives when alcohol is removed.

The answers will come to you over time, and it's natural to look at what we have and wonder what we need to move forward and live a full life.

All completely normal and natural.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys needed that x
Old 06-17-2014, 12:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very natural to feel low in the early days Liss - things will get better - you'll be back on top of the world soon enough - just keep working on your recovery

D
Old 06-17-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang tough, Liss. You know a drink won't provide what feels missing. It'd only put a flimsy false floor over the hole, just waiting to cave in. Leave the hole open and keep walking around it for now. It'll fill in with something solid eventually.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hey, Liss...i only recently got a job but i know i needed sober time before i could be a productive worker and not a basketcase, freaking out over coworkers liking me or not and keeping a clear enough head to do my job. Basically, my brain and emotions needed an overhaul before i was fit enough for the workforce.

Boredom, feeling lost, feeling like life is lacking...this happens a lot in early recovery. What helped me was going to meetings and hanging out with sober alcoholics. I took on service positions and that gave me a sense of purpose. Have you considered joining a support group or AA? That way, you can find a place where you fit an and can be of service.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know it's hard to tell ourselves to stop thinking.
Set small tasks for right now.
Use a white board ~ anything. Look at your progress. Sober. Done. Mum ~ been there for my kids. Done. Cat litter ~ done. That's it for right now.

Really. Stop. Rest. Know that you are loved.

V xx
Old 06-17-2014, 02:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yep I go to AA might go volunteer work once a week.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I know it's hard to tell ourselves to stop thinking. Set small tasks for right now. Use a white board ~ anything. Look at your progress. Sober. Done. Mum ~ been there for my kids. Done. Cat litter ~ done. That's it for right now. Really. Stop. Rest. Know that you are loved. V xx
xxxx
Old 06-17-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi liss

I remember when I stopped drinking feeling like I didn't know how to have / feel feelings if you know what I mean.
All of my life I had numbed the "bad" feelings with alcohol and now
that I wasn't drinking, I just felt . . . well. . "bad" and didn't know how to deal with that at first.

The funny thing was when I was ready, not the first few weeks, but finally I just went
ahead and sat down and felt "bad" and didn't judge it and just let it be and labeled the feelings as they came and went
"feeling guilty" "feeling unworthy" "feeling angry" and so on and just let them wash through my belly and heart in waves instead of suppressing them.
It was very strange at first but after a few times it felt like I was feeling them and then they were going away instead of being pushed down.

It's a classic mediation technique but very powerful.
I have come to the conclusion I just didn't know how to process negative feelings.
I had always drank them away in the past.

I'm glad I took the next step as my emotional load is so much lighter.
I do still feel empty much of the time but it doesn't hurt like it did.
I view that as progress. I never had to grow up in some ways while drinking
and now I am.

You're doing great. Hang in there.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hang in Liss...I like what others are saying in terms of doing "small" things....the slowly start to add up and rebuild those good feelings inside of us.
I came right back to work after a horrible, wretched week in detox. I wanted to go away to a 28 day program somewhere but I was on the verge of losing my job...and for the most part, it's a good thing. It keeps my mind from wandering to place I don't want it to go, but there are times where I think "gee, I coulda used some downtime to regroup"

Day 38 here and feeling better than yesterday. I'm FORCING myself to go to the gym after work for the first time in months. It's these small barriers we need to be vigilant with.
I think volunteering is a GREAT idea and you should go for it
Hope today gets better.