Notices

Easiest to avoid drinking when around drinkers

Old 06-16-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Easiest to avoid drinking when around drinkers

Does anyone else experience this? My strongest temptation to drink always happens when I'm alone, presumably because that's when I did most of my drinking. But when I am in social situations and everyone is drinking, especially if they're drinking too much, I don't envy them or feel left out in the least. I hear a lot of people say that's when the temptation is the strongest for them, but it's when I feel the most confident in my decision to stay sober.
I once went through a 2 year period of sobriety. I worked with a bunch of lushes who actually kept liquor at our place of business and couldn't seem to have any function without getting hammered. It was so easy to stay sober when I worked there! Maybe it was just watching them make idiots of themselves and knowing I was going to go home sober and guilt-free.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else feels that way.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sometimes yes. When I am at a party and see someone drunk, slurring their words and stinking of booze, I usually feel grateful to not be drinking.

I don't usually crave at parties. I too did a lot if my drinking alone, so it's not the party situation I struggle with.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes! Me too, drinking alone is my issue. We were at a pub tonight for soccer match and surrounded by drinkers. The overwhelming beer smell made me queasy. I had two virgin Mary's no desire at all. For me being home and having the house empty except the cats is my danger zone. Need to keep busy and take breaks to self check. I'll be heading here to read regularly. I completely get it. Sea
Old 06-16-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

GetMeOut, I am (was) the same way. In public at bars or events, I have no desire to drink. But when I am at home, especially doing busy work, I want to have that beer. The desire has gone down tenfold over the past couple months, but early on I had to get away from the house to get over my urges.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Being around social drinking is not a problem for me (since my brain craves binging and party drinking). I would have difficulty being around people heavily drinking as my mind gravitates to that. I guess it depends person to person what may trigger you
Old 06-16-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have the same feelings you do, except for one difference.
My reason for not feeling the need to drink around people drinking is faiIrly simple.

I am as stubborn as they come and at the same time so strong willed. I REFUSE TO allow anyone to prove me wrong

So when I am in a group setting, I shiver at the thought of someone seeing me fail.
But the opposite occurs when I am alone. No one is there to see me fail, and who am I to tell?

When my son goes camping for the week, I just might go out to the bars to be by alcohol in order to keep me away from it Reading my logic sound SO STUPID....but if it works who's to judge?
Old 06-17-2014, 01:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeap home alone was where the real party started for me, I couldn't drink a half bottle of liquor in the space of a few hours in a bar, without getting kicked out, but in front of my TV I could drink a whole bottle if I liked and didn't even need to make it up stairs to bed!!