Notices

Wish I didn't, but I did

Old 06-16-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JJ9

Wish I didn't, but I did

Yesterday was my day 3 and last night I had a couple of drinks. Very disappointed with myself. The craving wasn't even that strong, it was like I talked myself into it. I wish I would have gotten on SR instead, but I didn't. So today, I start again.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're back. So, what can you do differently this time so you get past day 3? We're here for you.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back JJ9

Why not use what happened as a lesson - be prepared for those kinds of situations this time?

D
Old 06-16-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Learn from it so it doesn't happen again.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back, try not to beat yourself and set some positive goals going forward.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It happens. My hurdle day is day 3 as well. Main thing is not beating yourself up about it. You got this.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That third and fourth was a problem for me also. I'd drink for a while, than not drink for four days, etc. Just nuts. I didn't start to feel solid with not drinking for at least a week, and felt stronger each day after that. Took around two weeks before the urges really started to subside. Get past that fourth day, and things will get better.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JJ9

Wow! You are all so encouraging! You put a smile on my face, thank you all! I will definitely learn a lesson from my slip and make a plan to thwart future failures. I am writing out my schedule for the next few days and I think just having more structure and making sure my time is filled will help me a lot.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Determined

Keep at it, its a long road. It helps me to not even think about alcohol. Very hard but effective
Old 06-16-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJ9 View Post
Wow! You are all so encouraging! You put a smile on my face, thank you all! I will definitely learn a lesson from my slip and make a plan to thwart future failures. I am writing out my schedule for the next few days and I think just having more structure and making sure my time is filled will help me a lot.
Great idea!! Have a plan in place and stay real busy. Stay busy, drink lots of water and make sure and eat something. I rested a lot in the beginning, but would also find simple things to do at the same time. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jj9 don't be so hard on yourself, so you failed once, but you have already picked yourself off the ground and started again... Beside day 3 is the worst day. Just keep trying..:-)
Old 06-16-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by JJ9 View Post
Yesterday was my day 3 and last night I had a couple of drinks. Very disappointed with myself. The craving wasn't even that strong, it was like I talked myself into it. I wish I would have gotten on SR instead, but I didn't. So today, I start again.
So many times I drank under those circumstances. There was no mad craving. It really wasn't even a preoccupation. It just seemed to be a foregone conclusion that I was gonna drink, just because... It's stubbornness, willfulness, and when you feel that way, you don't want to tell anyone because you don't want anyone trying to talk you out of it. That used to frustrate my ex-SO to no end. "Why didn't you just come to me when you felt the urge?" Because I knew I would get one of two answers, either "No" or "If you do, you can just go ahead and leave right now and don't come back." So, I opted to do what I knew how to do, hide it. Just because...

But don't beat yourself up. With more time under your belt, you will get used to telling yourself "No." That is the only authority you will truly obey when it comes to whether or not you drink.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 1: Hungover
Day 2: I feel better, time to be productive!
Day 3: Waiting for work to end so I can go buy beer.

I did this for 8 month straight. Prior to that I was drinking every night for years.

Anyway I just broke the cycle last week and I'm on day 10. Do it. It is so worth it! The last 10 days have been amazing.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sometimes it takes a few kicks at the can. You're back...you're here. Quite recently I had 9 days of sobriety..and I drank. Then I put together another week...and I drank.

I'm now closing in on about 3 weeks...and I'm feeling pretty darn good about it. I gotta be honest...the first while...I was just putting in sober time so to speak. I wasn't "feeling it"..

But..it's starting to feel like some clouds are lifting. I can see the sun...and everything is starting to get clearer. Grass is looking greener..sky is bluer..

Just do it again friend. We're all here with ya.