Notices

Step & Tradition

Old 06-16-2014, 03:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step & Tradition

I looked up AA meetings and step & tradition is what it said in the details. What does it mean exactly and can I just turn up?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep, you can just turn up. Step and tradition means that the meeting topic for that meeting is going to be either a step or tradition. (pretty common)
Old 06-16-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

You are more than welcome to just show up! In Step and Traditions meetings, a specific step and/or tradition is discussed. Many of my groups discuss Step 6 and Tradition 6 in June. Usually, it's just one step or tradition discussed. I have been at a meeting that was large enough that the group split in 2 and one discussed a tradition while the other discussed a step.

Tradition meetings can be rather confusing or uninspiring to newcomers. The Traditions are how AA as a whole is organized and our policies regarding how groups conduct themselves, how we represent ourselves, how we organize, how we support ourselves and sets the guidlines for anonymity. Traditions can be a bit dry to newcomers.

Step meetings focus on a specific step. You don't have to have worked the step to discuss how you feel about it or how you expect to work it or whatever you care to say about it. I often find that i prefer to listen during step meetings as i have not made it past Step 4 and i like to hear other people's experiences with the steps. This can seems confusing or unsatisfying for a newcomer but many like that they aren't expected to share on a step they have no experience with.

One thing i would recommend is to arrive a little early, find out who the secretary is and ask them if they do first step meetings for newcomers. What may happen then is that the entire group may discuss Step 1 to share their experience, strength and hope to someone in a way that is informative and engaging. Many groups will ask for volunteers to break off into another room or area for a First Step meeting while the rest of the group goes on with whatever was going to be discussed.

Above all, do not hesitate to let people know that you are new. Tradition 5 states that "Each group has but one primary purpose - to carry the message to the alcoholic who still suffers." That means that if you need help and want to find out what's kept those people sober and how you can achieve sobriety as well, you are the most important person in that room. You are our primary purpose. For us, it is an honor and a privilege to share with you. Please let us know if you want our help. We will be there, ready to carry the message to you.