Notices

It's a mystery to me how any real alkie recovers......

Old 06-17-2014, 01:44 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
Stay open minded. There are many real alcoholics who can and have recovered.
Yep. Sure feels real enough to anyone caught smack dab in the middle of it. I know what it took to get me the f*ck out. That's real.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:52 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
My concern would be where is Robert? his last post was 60 posts and 28hrs ago!!

I hope he's doing alright!!
Me too. Please check in when you can and let us know how you are doing.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
One is to drink with wild abandon to the detriment of my health, my relationships, my self respect and my sanity. The other is to not drink at all. For me to not drink at all, i have to work my ass off every day. If i was just a heavy drinker, i would just not drink. I wish it were so easy. Instead, i devote hours a week, if not hours a day, to my recovery program. For example, i am writing here now while my dinner grows cold. Why? I have to. I have to stay in contact with other alcoholics. I need this more than food. More than air. If i'm not practicing recovery at all times, i'm headed for a relapse and i don't know if i would survive that.
Thank you for sharing your story. This is the crux of it...the time that one MUST invest into sobriety. Going to rehab, attending your meeting of choice etc, isn't the magic panacea...

Originally Posted by Robert777 View Post
Non alcoholics do not obsess about alcohol. This is a good way to know if one is in fact an alcoholic or not.
To answer the original post...how would you know the extent of anyone's story to make a judgement that they are a "fraud", as you put it. I don't think you have to look far on this site to see most have been or are still obsessed with alcohol.

Who would want to "fake" being an alcoholic? In fact, it's misleading statements about problem drinking vs alcoholism that deters people, or tricks them into thinking they don't have a problem.

I hope you get help and put the focus on actually recovering and accepting it's damn hard work.....for life!
Old 06-17-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

i suppose we should say the only real alcoholics are those who are tramps out in the streets who have nothing anymore.

that's a real alcoholic, anything else is just a fake as they dont drink anymore ?

but i would suggest it might be a good idea to not go down to that level and keep hold of some of the luxury's you have in your daily life, like a wife. family, jobs, money home. etc

its just a suggestion as i wouldnt dream of telling anyone what to do

if you want to prove that your a real alcoholic then please feel free to drink yourself down into the gutter and you can wear the i am a real alcoholic badge with pride.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi guys, I am just now reading all your loving posts and I just feel total gratitude for all you great people. I am sorry for being so obnoxious the other day and saying people are frauds. I was just playing the blame game. My life is total despair and I was also drunk at the time. I am not the best of people when drunk. Your honest sharing and love really warms my heart even in the face of my obnoxious words. You are truly the salt of the earth. I would love to comment on each of your posts but right now drunk again, it's not possible. I leave for rehab tomorrow for 3months. I won't be able to reply to any comments because I will be going to try and get some sleep. I hope when I come back from rehab I can bring good news and be in a much better place. Thank you all again from the bottom of my heart. Take care all and keep fighting the good fight. Much Love, Robert.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Please return & let us know how you are Robert. You've made a wise decision - you can get your life back.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Robert777 View Post
Hi guys, I am just now reading all your loving posts and I just feel total gratitude for all you great people. I am sorry for being so obnoxious the other day and saying people are frauds. I was just playing the blame game. My life is total despair and I was also drunk at the time. I am not the best of people when drunk. Your honest sharing and love really warms my heart even in the face of my obnoxious words. You are truly the salt of the earth. I would love to comment on each of your posts but right now drunk again, it's not possible. I leave for rehab tomorrow for 3months. I won't be able to reply to any comments because I will be going to try and get some sleep. I hope when I come back from rehab I can bring good news and be in a much better place. Thank you all again from the bottom of my heart. Take care all and keep fighting the good fight. Much Love, Robert.
Good luck at Rehab Robert- glad you are getting some help. You are more than welcome here upon your return, and please do.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Keep us posted Robert!! . . . we'll all be here when you return, be well!!
Old 06-17-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

good for you glad to hear it and i hope it helps you
Old 06-17-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Oh that is great to hear. Xxx
Old 06-17-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes Robert - see you when you come back

D
Old 06-17-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Learn as much as you can at rehab so you can apply it to your life when you're back home.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good luck with your rehab. Great decision, and don't worry about some of the comments you made. The people on this forum have been where you are and understand what you are going through.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

I hope your stay helps clear up some of the mystery Robert. I believe it will.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

It's nice to hear from you again Robert. Good luck with rehab and come back to SR when you return.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Be well, Robert. I must say that I like the teddy bear side of you, a little bit more than the cynical Robert and I suspect once you heal from your alcohol problem, you are 99% teddy bear! Sending prayers for an excellent successful recovery!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I am so glad that you posted. Please keep us up to date if you can.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Yah Robert, you are a champion, I loved rehab. I got so much and learned so much from rehab, a lot of stuff I learned would wash over me at the time but was retrievable when I could absorb it and use at a later stage.
All the best to you and a wonderful future ahead.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Really glad to hear of your decision, good luck!
Old 06-17-2014, 11:57 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Work hard there, Robert. You get out of it what you put in. Rehab was a really great place for me. I was only there for a little over a month at a time. Honestly, I kinda miss it. It was kinda a vacation for me, lol. It helped me out a lot but AA is what's helped me really adjust to living in the real world. Be well, Robert! I'll be thinking of you and sending positive energy your way.