Notices

Question about withdrawal.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about withdrawal.

Hello everyone. I am actually a Codie so I am asking this more out of curiosity of my bfs situation. Back story.. he used to drink every night (heavily) for about 4 years. He quit for about 6 months but now drinks only on weekends. When he drinks though he gets black out drunk every single time. Weird thing is, he feels amazing the next day (which I don't understand) but during the work week while he is not drinking he is very tired and run down and gets bad headaches. So I was curious to see if anyone has any experience with this. Is it withdrawals that he is experiencing every week from Monday-Friday? Or something else? It worries me because I know how dangerous withdrawal can be and he could basically be putting his body through that every single week. Any replies are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't give you medical advice of course but my impression is that he wakes up feeling ok because he is still for the lack of better words, half in the bag.

He feels awful during the week because he is dehydrated and his body is trying to heal from the abuse.

He probably feels better of the end of the week and thinks he deserves a few to reward himself because he was a good boy. He then looses control ad binges.

This cycle can take years to wake up from.

I hope there is a place in all of this chaos for you?

Loving someone is great, but you can spend 10 years supporting him without any progress until he decides to get sober.

Take care friend
Old 06-15-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We're not doctors here, and giving medical advice is against the board rules.

That said, getting blackout drunk every weekend is going to put your body and brain through hell. The longer you drink/use, the more time it's going to take to recover. It sounds like an addiction problem: and it sounds like everyone would be better off if he quit drinking. You are probably here because you wish your BF would quit, and it's become a problem. I hope he stops drinking for good, it might just save his life. All the best.

PS - there's a great "friends and family" forum here that is really helpful for questions like this. Check it out, they're great and very responsive!
Old 06-15-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like wear and tear on the body, I used to drink even more heavily at weekends, but it'd take me until Tue/Wed until I felt like I could function again at work.

The thing is though, the body is not indestructible, it can only take soo much abuse, at some stage it will all catch up, is he planning on quitting/cutting down? . . . and if so a trip to a Dr to do it safely would be the best way forward!!