Notices

Big Book

Old 06-14-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Big Book

Can the big book be used for any type of addiction that has taken control over your life,or is it just for alcohol?
Old 06-14-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

In my opinion, the principles discussed in the book Alcoholics Anonymous can be used for any addiction. But much of the wording and examples are geared towards alcoholism. The literature of Narcotics Anonymous is more neutral.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

there are many variations of the twelve step approach, look them up. Basically the same principles
Old 06-14-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I will. Thanks
Old 06-14-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The BB is primarily for alcohol, when Dr Silkworth wrote his letter in the 1st Chapter, The Doctors Opinion, he was mainly referring to Alcohol,
reference point:
We believe, and so suggested a few years ago, that the action of alcohol on these chronic alcoholics is a manifestation of an allergy; that the phenomenon of craving is limited to this class and never occurs in the average temperate drinker.
Then from what seems universal is where Dr Silkworth writes,
On the other hand-and strange as this may seem to those who do not understand-once a psychic change has occurred, the very same person who seemed doomed, who had so many problems he despaired of ever solving them, suddenly finds himself easily able to control his desire for alcohol, the only effort necessary being that required to follow a few simple rules.
The keys here may be worth considering,
able to control his desire for alcohol
change alcohol to gambling or whatever else suits.
if one is willing to, have a
psychic change
and willing to
the only effort necessary being that required to follow a few simple rules.
psychic change may refer to, how one thinks
and, follow a few simple rules may apply to other obsession or addictions.

When I sobered, I still had drug issues and went to a few NA meetings.
In NA there were some members who did not have a problem with alcohol, but had immense issues with other substances other than alcohol.
My problem was this "hole" and my mind was trying to "tell" me to go back to drugs if I am not going to drink.
NA members were very helpful, and still go to a few NA meetings just to keep things in check.
AA,NA or 12 step fellowships, just grateful they are there.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You could use the Big Book; however, NA has a book of their own, called the Basic Text. It addresses addiction, including alcohol. I've sent you a PM with a link.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I have a friend in Overeater Anonymous and they use the Big Book.
While the Big Book talks specifically about alcohol, the steps can be used for any addiction as well as for developing healthy relationships.
Al Anon which is for friends and families of alcoholics uses the 12 steps.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey autumn, what other addiction are you referring to? I think more accurately the 12 steps in the Big Big will help with other addictions vs all the content in the Big Book. For example the Big Book has a lot of alcohol related stories. In the 12 steps just substitute alcohol to another addiction. keep in mind, this is a spiritual program. Good Luck. All the best
Old 06-15-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

rowd,it is mostly for substance abuse. I like that it is a spiritual program. Maybe that will fill the void .
Old 06-15-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I have a friend in Overeater Anonymous and they use the Big Book.
While the Big Book talks specifically about alcohol, the steps can be used for any addiction as well as for developing healthy relationships.
Al Anon which is for friends and families of alcoholics uses the 12 steps.
The Big Book may seem a little out of place when applied to overweight, as, for example,"making amends" to those who may have been harmed. But then again, we were harmed by an overweight caregiver who sat on one of our best living room chairs and went right though it on to the floor. We had to extract her from the wreckage and then reupholster it. She herself was well upholstered.

W.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by autumn2 View Post
rowd,it is mostly for substance abuse. I like that it is a spiritual program. Maybe that will fill the void .
The spiritual piece is the key. Personally what I couldn't do on my own the spiritual piece which means God to me was the answer. I wish you the very best! Miracles happen with the hand of God.