Notices

I went to a party last night . . . .

Old 06-14-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I went to a party last night . . . .

I attended a party last night as I want to get out of my shell and meet more friends. I was probably the only person there who did not drink alcohol, but most of the party goers drank pretty moderately with lots of water in between drinks. Only one person asked what I was drinking and she looked at my can and said, "oh, Perrier," and that was it.

It struck me how much easier my life has become without drinking. Last night, I didn't focus on where the alcohol was, nor worry about how much was left. I didn't worry about slurring my words, being loud, or being stupid. I didn't worry about getting too flirty (my husband didn't attend this party). I didn't worry about driving home safely or if there would be enough booze at home for my "night cap". I ate more delicious food than I normally would have and that was okay and very enjoyable because I wasn't sucking down hundreds of pointless calories of liquid poison. I had a wonderful time. I was dignified and I have my self respect intact. I had a wonderful night's sleep (no waking up to the fiery pain of my stomach ulcers or my overwhelming 3 am self imposed wake-up call filled with anxiety, shame and dread). I actually kissed my teenagers goodnight and conversed normally with them before turning in. I remember every moment of the entire lovely evening. And, I must not have been a terrible teetotaler bore because I have a lunch date set up with a new friend and another person asked me to be a facebook friend. I can't believe how much alcohol complicates everything. It feels so good to feel free! (btw, I was a drinker for 27 years since I was 15 years old and I have been sober 8.5 months) Do whatever it takes to get through your craving hurdles because the freedom and pride your get from sobriety are invaluable.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow DD so proud of you!!! Congrats on 8.5 months.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wild Child

That is awesome!!!!! So happy for you!! CONGRATS ,,,can't wait to be there!
Old 06-14-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's an inspiring story DD
Old 06-14-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

DoubleDragons, FANTASTIC, congratulations. I just love a thread with a sober ending, rootin for ya.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for painting such a lovely picture of what sobriety can be like. It is so great to realize that we gain so much by giving up that one thing!
Old 06-14-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you had such a good experience DD. I had a very similar experience at my friends husbands 55th B'Day party, and they live out of state so I even stayed over for it. They drank lots of really good wines that evening, no one got drunk however and I stuck to sparkling water without too much angst. Had a great time overall, and we even hiked a new trail the next morning. Normally I would have driven home from there totally hungover leaving as soon as possible to start into the wine again at home. Not this time, left on good terms with my head held high. No regrets, isn't it great!
Old 06-15-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's fantastic!! You are right, far less stress without drinking!!
Old 06-15-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8.5 months!