Notices

Feeling lost and scared

Old 06-15-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amester View Post
I've been clean for 46 days, every one of which I have spent with my boyfriend living together with my parents. We broke up today rather suddenly and unexpectedly and I don't really know how I'm feeling about it. He's moving out tomorrow and my whole world changes. One of my main motivations to get clean was to have a future with him. So I'm scared and confused, yet also relieved that the relationship is ending because it was becoming pretty dysfunctional. But I wasn't quite ready to let go.

He moves out tomorrow and I think it's all going to hit me once his stuff is gone and I have to get in that big bed alone without having his arms to curl up in or hearing him say he loves me. I'm getting emotional just writing about it.

Can I get through this without picking up? Am I strong enough to feel all of this pain and discomfort without self-medicating? I'm scared
For God so loved you, that He gave His only son, as ransome for your life.

For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I give Egypt for your ransom, Cush and Seba in your stead.

Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you, I will give people in exchange for you, nations in exchange for your life.

Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

He's fine, he texted my dad. He lied, he didn't take any pills. The fact that he would play such a sick little game helps me feel better about the break up, it's obviously the right decision, he has some serious issues and I hope he gets some help.

I'm still sad though and I already miss him. Or I just miss the relationship we had at the beginning. I really thought I'd found the one, we made each other so happy, he was so loving and patient and nurturing. Then as I got into recovery everything changed between us. It just wasn't meant to be, but really accepting that is going to take a little time and is gonna probably be somewhat painful. I may need to lean on you guys a bit this week while I make the adjustment.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I'm glad he's fine, but I definitely think you deserve better than this, Amester

Stay strong. A whole new life awaits you
Old 06-15-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

That whole thing about saying he took 90 pills and you wouldn't hear from him anymore... how old is this guy? That sounds like a threat I would have made as a teenager. Pure drama. And then to find out he was just bs'ing, which is good - we wouldn't want him dead - but that kind of immature, attention-getting, manipulative behavior would be all the reason I need to drop someone forever.

You can definitely do better.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Amester: I see that you said, "Then as I got into recovery everything changed between us." Does this tell you anything? Sounds like he had some vested interest in your not getting yourself into recovery. You said he had 90 pills. Could it be that one way to reinforce your recovery is to terminate this "dysfunctional" relationship. I put it in quotes since I believe you said that it was that way. Good luck.

W.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

GetMeOut, he is 40 but tends to act more like a 4 yr old. You are absolutely correct that he is immature, attention-seeking and manipulative, among many other things. I am relieved that the relationship is over.

Wpainterw, he thought he wanted me in recovery. He met me as a drug addict and prostitute who was about to end up in jail or in the morgue. He immediately stepped in and worked with my parents to do my intervention and remove me from my apartment and out of the city. He took care of me round the clock for weeks trying to find help for me as I continued using. When I finally put the drugs and alcohol down and started feeling better I wasn't as willing to let him have any authority over me as I did when I was so sick. He admitted I was easier to handle when I was using and that he missed "having the upper hand."

It's almost 2am and this is the first night in over 2 months that we have not been together. It's strange and something I need to adapt to. But I feel ok, no thoughts of using and no regrets about ending things.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

When I finally put the drugs and alcohol down and started feeling better I wasn't as willing to let him have any authority over me as I did when I was so sick. He admitted I was easier to handle when I was using and that he missed "having the upper hand."
OMG, what a terrible thing to say! That's incredible! You finally get your life in order and he misses having control over you?! I'm glad you are seeing just how much better off you are without him.

It's almost 2am and this is the first night in over 2 months that we have not been together. It's strange and something I need to adapt to. But I feel ok, no thoughts of using and no regrets about ending things.
You sound very different from the way you sounded at the beginning of this thread, and that's a very good thing! You can make it. Keep hanging around here. We can help you through the rough patches.