Notices

Am I addicted to Alcohol?

Old 06-14-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I addicted to Alcohol?

I personally don’t like many of the questions asked on self-tests that you can take in private. People with addictions are masters of manipulating questions and answers in order to evade their own truth. Addicts become adept at looking at reality in a way that helps them avoid cold, hard facts. Most will do anything to hide the fact that they do indeed have a problem.
They may twist the questions so that they answer positively. Or focus on the answers indicating “No Problem” and not the answers that indicate a problem. If there are 25 questions and five answers indicate “No Problem,” an addict will focus on the five and ignore the other 20! The differential piece is whether you are addicted or just have a problem that needs you attention.
I am not a doctor so I won’t pretend I understand the science. This is only my opinion based on my own personal experience and the experience of others I’ve met along the way. Saying that, there are two points I want to make…
• If you think you might have a drinking problem, chances are you do.
We don’t generally wonder if we have a drinking problem if we don’t already realize we have a problem with alcohol. You don’t think about going on a diet if, at some level, you don’t believe you should lose some weight! And much like going on a diet, this is a simple, private way to find out if you have a problem with alcohol:
• Stop drinking for three (3) months.
Cold turkey, completely give up drinking for three months. During the three months, see if you obsess about drinking, if you look forward to your next drink, if you can’t wait to for your next drink. Normal drinkers won’t obsess about alcohol. Addicts obsess.
I’ve compiled some questions that you can ask yourself privately. You don’t have to hide your answers; no one else is going to know. And don’t lie to yourself! Be brutally honest, this is your life!
• Have you ever been unable to remember part of the previous day/evening?
• When drinking with other people, do you try to have a few extra drinks when others
won’t know about it?
• Do you sometimes feel a little guilty about your drinking?
• Have you been having more memory “blackouts” recently?
• Do you often want to continue drinking after others say they’ve had enough?
• When you’re sober, do you sometimes regret things you did or said while drinking?
• Have you sometimes failed to keep promises you made to yourself about controlling or
cutting down on your drinking?
• Have you recently noticed that you can’t drink as much as you used to?
• Do you ever feel depressed or anxious after periods of heavy drinking?
• Have any of your blood relatives ever had a problem with alcohol?
If you answer yes to a few of the questions, you should probably talk with your doctor or another addiction professional for further advice. If you don’t want to see a professional just yet, find a recovery meeting in your area. Take these questions/answers with you. Someone should be able to help you determine if you have a problem and give you some good advice.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wild Child

Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-14-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JJ9

Those are great questions. My answer is "yes" to almost every one.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Quitting cold turkey can be very dangerous, fatal even in some circumstances. Other than that I like your list.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I stopped at the 3 question. LOL!

I know I'll score 120% on the test
Old 06-14-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice list! Keep up the good work
Old 06-14-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Solid yes to 7 of those, but it's easier for me to answer honestly now that I have been sober over a year and had already owned up to my drinking problem.

Because you are right...back in "pre sobriety", I would have done my best to manipulate those questions to suit my needs.

Thanks for this refresher:-)
Old 06-14-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Solid yes to 7 of those, but it's easier for me to answer honestly now that I have been sober over a year and had already owned up to my drinking problem.

Congratulations on 1 year sobriety Dollyangel17 - keep up the awesomeness!