Notices

Need some advice

Old 07-09-2004, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Need some advice

I'm not sure if I should just read and learn and just jump in and scream HELP. My husband has been drinking for years. He consumes about 6-8 beers a day and some whiskey if its around. He decided on Wednesday that enough is enough and quit cold turkey. Since Wednesday he has not slept and is shaking, sweating and feels miserable. I have called the doctor and they are urging me to take him to the ER. He won't go. He wants to fight this on his own but I know he probably won't be able to do it. My question, for this very momemt, is how long will this withdrawal period last. How long will he shake and sweat and is there anything I can do for him. He wants to sleep and wants some sleeping pills to help right now. Any suggestions - he won't go to the hospital or doctor.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sam082602

Smile My experience is...

I was sick for about three days when withdrawling from everything except for alcohol (which took five days to withdrawl from) and heroin (which took seven to fourteen days); and of course, if I was withdrawing from a combination of things, there was no telling how long I would withdraw.

My suggestion is tylenol pm, gatorade (any sports drink), and saltine crackers. Water is always good too. Cool baths & soothing music or no music.

Next you should go to Alanon for yourself & AA for him. Now just go to AA long enough to find a couple of gentlemen to do a twelfth step call on your man (basically, they will talk to ya'll as a couple & also separately as individuals).

You should eat healthy, exercise, get plenty of rest, and drink plenty of fluids to keep up your strength because you are going to need for the both of you.

Finally, pray your behind off, journal, and meditate!! Oh, remember to have an attitude of gratitude at all times.

Hang in there!! Welcome!! Love ya!!

Old 07-09-2004, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

multivitamins help alot, and b-12 also. biggest thing to remember is that you are powerless about it. the only thing you can do is be supportive and look out for yourself.

also try candies!

the sleep thing is a toughie, sleeping pills might work, then again might not, they didn't for me. they can also become a substitue for the alcohol and your hubby could become addicted to them, even the over the counter ones. any meds should be administered under doctors care.

the advice sam gave above is awesome!
Old 07-09-2004, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you!

Thank you both for giving me some great advice. I've called so many 800 numbers and my own doctor and didn't learn anything. I then thought of finding a chat room. When my Mom had cancer two years ago I found a great chat room that helped so much.

I'm going right to the store to buy gatoraide, saltines, tylenol PM, candy (for me), multivitamins and some B-12! And I'll pray the whole way!

Thanks a bunch.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

LOL, you're very welcome karin, but get some hard candies for him to suck on too! his body will be craving sugar, sugar he's not getting from the alcohol anymore
Old 07-09-2004, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sam082602

Your welcome...Love ya!

Don't forget about alanon and taking care yourself first and foremost!! Pray, pray, pray some more, and keep right on praying!! Love ya!!

Old 07-09-2004, 10:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

sam is right. keep that praying up. he will need that sugar. glad he has made this decision and welcome to our happy little family. i am grateful another person has commited to being free.
God bless