Notices

snoops, gossips, boundaries, privacy

Old 06-17-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

RE: "What other people think of us is none of our business."

On second thought, isn't this the mindset of a sociopath? Probably not what is intended, but that's how it looks at face value, although I think I vaguely get what is meant.

Any clarifications?
Old 06-17-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think if we focus on being the best person we can be, honor our own truth, take care of ourselves and generally be the best we can toward others....

then gossip won't matter in the long run.

I know that sounds somewhat simple and dismissive, but I really think it's true. Gossips are usually gossips because of a reaction and because they have nothing else going on. Over time, they move on to other things. The next big drama comes along. Whatever.

Take care of you, and let that stuff just roll off, recognizing it for what it is; weakness in others' character and self-worth.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForgetfulKevin View Post
RE: "What other people think of us is none of our business."

On second thought, isn't this the mindset of a sociopath? Probably not what is intended, but that's how it looks at face value, although I think I vaguely get what is meant.

Any clarifications?
My understanding is that a sociopath has no capacity to feel empathy for others. They may, however, find the attention and drama surrounding their activities irresistible. Take this with a grain salt, though. Everything I know about criminology I learned from Criminal Minds.

My personal experience with gossip has been that if you quit playing along, you eventually become much less interesting to those stirring things up because you aren't giving them the desired reaction or additional fodder.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

"The only thing worse than people talking about you is... people not talking about you."

People will always talk about other people - that's what people do. Accept it, don't worry about it and move on.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

pretty glad if people talk about me. theyre leaving someone alone that may not be able to handle it.