Notices

A Good Day

Old 06-13-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Good Day

Today I had a wonderful day. I saw my younger brother walk across the stage to receive his university diploma. Then we went out for a big celebratory dinner with friends and family. I have been having more and more good days since I quit drinking. It got me thinking about how things have changed since I quit drinking and smoking weed.

When I was focused on getting high I wasn’t there for my family the way that I should have been, not when times were tough or when they were good. I just wasn’t there. I was too busy getting my fix to be there for other people. If I was still using, I might not have even been invited to this event because I wouldn’t be part of the strong support network that helped my brother persevere during his studies.

Today I am the sister that he deserves, one that he can count on, look up to, and respect. My main priorities in life today are not scoring, toking, being high, ensuring I have enough alcohol, escaping difficult emotions, or recovering from hangovers. Although these were daily considerations for me only 4 years ago. Now I focus on staying sober, taking care of my family, and creating a life for myself. I am a different person without my old lifestyle. I am someone I can be proud of, someone that my family can be proud of, and I am so very grateful for that.

I just wanted to share a little bit of my success with you all. SR is a cornerstone of my sobriety. It is always here when I need to make it through a difficult moment. I have gotten sober right here with all of you one day and at time. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JJ9

What an awesome post Flying4Life! Congratulations on creating the life you deserve!
Old 06-14-2014, 01:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats! The longer I am sober the more I see myself becoming someone else, someone different than I was before. And I'm glad to say the new is me better. Sounds like you're undergoing the same transformation, Flying4Life.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fantastic post for a fantastic day Flying4life
Thank for sharing

D
Old 06-14-2014, 01:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for taking the time for sharing!

It really helps to read such a positive thread early in recovery like I am.

You reminded me that it will get better. One baby step at a time.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Flying4Life, brilliant post, and thank you for reminding us how life is so much better sober.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, that's fantastic!!