Drinking a fifth of vodka every night

Old 06-14-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
JJ9

Yummy SoberLeigh! Thanks!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJ9
Thank you all so much for your kind and thoughtful responses!

Croissant--Thanks for sharing that experience. I was wondering if my short "break" from alcohol a couple of weeks ago might make this time worse for me. I had some sleep disturbance last night (woke up in a couple of bad dreams that felt like they were still occurring for a minute after I started to wake). I know only one day down is no indication that I am not going to have other withdrawal symptoms but, so far so good.

IOAA2--Spot on! Every feeling that you listed that may be lying under the "tip of the iceberg" are feelings that I have. Some occasionally and some constantly. Thanks for pointing that out. I think some time with a therapist might be in order.

MIRecovery--Good advice, thanks! I will be careful and will get to the ER if I start to feel bad. I have a portable blood pressure monitor too so I will monitor that and get help if it starts to elevate.
Care to expand on that? how long was the "break"?

One of the things i've learned from my time on SR is that the more "breaks" you take the worse the withdrawal will be when you finally do stop. Also, one day IS to early to tell with regards to symptoms, the worst of my symptoms manifested within 40-80 hours and the severe insomnia lasted for WEEKS. The more acute stuff i experienced like shakes and anxiety went away within 9 days or so, the severe insomnia lingered forever in comparison.

Proceed very carefully the next few days, if you start feeling bad or suddenly develop acute symptoms don't hesitate for a SECOND to go to the ER. Be safe!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
JJ9

Hi Grubby! I was referring to a 6-day break I took a couple of weeks ago without any withdrawal symptoms. I will be careful. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum! Great choice and all the best to you!
Old 04-17-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you

Originally Posted by JJ9 View Post
"Drinking a fifth of vodka every night" is what I googled several weeks ago when I found SR. I have been lurking here and soaking up every piece of knowledge that all of you offer in the forums since that night. I am so impressed by the level of insight and compassion that I have seen! You all are amazing!

My drinking has progressed over the past 10 years and honestly the progression is somewhat a blur, but to provide a summary: I had a long phase where I drank a couple of wine coolers or glasses of wine a couple of times a week, a phase where I drank a bottle of wine 2-3 nights per week, and a phase where I drank about a half of a bottle of vodka several nights every week. But for the past year or so I have been drinking a fifth of vodka virtually every night with very few "off" nights. Obviously, not good!

I have a fairly normal life. I have great, active kids. I have a full-time, long term job (although I work from home and I don't think I could handle the hangovers if I had to go into an office). Me and my husband also own a fairly successful business. But, every night when we are done with our activities and home for the night I sit with my husband and watch movies or TV and drink a whole freaking bottle! Sounds so ridiculous when I type it out!

Drawing strength from what I was reading on SR and also horror stories that I was reading about people dying young and painful deaths from liver failure I was able to put together 6 sober days a couple of weeks ago (from Thursday to Thursday right before Memorial Day weekend). I (very surprisingly) had no physical symptoms of withdrawal. So, I am going to start again today and this time I am going to make it permanent! Bottom line is I want a nice long life, and I want to live up to my full potential and live out the plan that God has for my life. I am going to use SR as a support system and an activity to fill the time that I usually drink. I am going to drink sweet drinks and eat ice cream if I need to to curb the cravings. I once heard a doctor that worked in recovery say that in all of his 30 years treating alcoholics he had only met 2 that were not also hypoglycemic. Very interesting to me.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Thanks for all of the insight you all have already provided me during my weeks of lurking. I will post or jump on chat if I start thinking of taking a drink.
Oh my Lord I am so thankful for this post. I have to stop. Every morning I beat myself up and it is so relieving to have this support blog.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lafaith View Post
Oh my Lord I am so thankful for this post. I have to stop. Every morning I beat myself up and it is so relieving to have this support blog.
Hi and welcome! Can you elaborate a bit more on what you're searching for and your particular problem? If you are at a fifth a day, I suggest the hospital. We are here for support. Contact me anytime.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR lafaith

D
Old 04-18-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome JJ and good luck on your quit. I was a big vodka drinker, too. It sounds like you are pretty squared away physically. I would only add that I, too, indulged in sugary snacks during the first month or so, as I craved it and felt I "deserved" something. However, I soon found that sugar gave me mood swings and made me feel rather crappy physically, so I cut way back and now just indulge in some dried fruit for the "happy hour" treat. You know, cavemen didn't get a lot of treats and they kept on going somehow with nothing but fire and cave paintings and tool sharpening for entertainment. Point being, we strip it all back and what is left is the pleasure of a healthy body and the knowledge that you are doing the best that you can.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Lafaith View Post
Thankful for your reminder of what it was like. Certainly others will read this post and nod in agreeent. I have to stop - but how?

I was grateful there were many others who got sober and lost the obsession to drink. Around 90 days sans booze that obsession was removed from me.
Reading others stories of recovery thread on SR forum was helpful. The program of AA paved a solid foundation

You don’t have to drink
Keep coming back
Old 04-18-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome Lafaith. Seems you want to quit drinking. SR is a supportive, nonjudgmental community. There are many years of cumulative sobriety and wisdom here. How can we help?