Notices
View Poll Results: Shoud RO go?
yes
21.74%
no
78.26%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Should I go to a Work Pub Crawl tonightl?

Old 06-13-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Should I go to a Work Pub Crawl tonightl?

Felt some weirdness at work that might be smoothed over with some socializing with certain colleagues. My sobriety date is at the bottom.

I'd seriously only attend for an hour - no longer than 2. If I had no apprehension about it though, why wouldn't I just be there now? Anyway, thought I'd see what kind of responses I'd get to maybe help solidify a decision.

What do you think? Should I stay (home) or should I go? {insert music}
Old 06-13-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A definite . . . NO!! pub crawls are organised for one reason, to get as many people as possible drunk!! this is not an environment to find yourself in!!
Old 06-13-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
A definite . . . NO!! pub crawls are organised for one reason, to get as many people as possible drunk!! this is not an environment to find yourself in!!
Well, it just started. I wouldn't go to more than one pub. I'm sure people aren't loaded...yet.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm gonna vote no. I can't imagine any worse torture in hell that a pub crawl where I'm the sober non drinking one, Ophelia.
Even 2 hours is 1 hour and 55 mins too long, I think.

why not do something else that you enjoy tonight?

D
Old 06-13-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You gotta be sensible . . . does the words "pubcrawl" and "sobriety" go together?!!
Old 06-13-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm gonna vote no. I can't imagine any worse torture in hell that a pub crawl where I'm the sober non drinking one, Ophelia.
Even 2 hours is 1 hour and 55 mins too long, I think.

why not do something else that you enjoy tonight?

D
Yeah. It does sound pretty torturous. My sole reason would be to try to feel out a work situation and, hopefully, reconnect a little with people who are in my dept. Well, and to socialize and (maybe?) have a few laughs.

As for other enjoyable things that I could do tonight; I can't think of anything except watch tv, surf online, and snack on something--the same thing I do nearly every damn night.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
I can't think of anything except watch tv, surf online, and snack on something--the same thing I do nearly every damn night.
Surely these things are a better option, you gotta do what you gotta do to remain Sober!! no matter how boring they may seem!!
Old 06-13-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

So, even with 18 months (!), it seems that everyone agrees this would be a crappy decision?

If I hadn't said it was a pub CRAWL and that I just was going to A pub with some colleagues, would that have made a difference?
Old 06-13-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
Surely these things are a better option, you gotta do what you gotta do to remain Sober!! no matter how boring they may seem!!
So, you think I wouldn't remain sober?
Old 06-13-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

LOL, always liked that song.

Sorry, can't help you with this one. I wouldn't, yet at least, maybe never, dunno. I don't have as much time as you though. Seems to me it depends on how secure you are in your sobriety.

Although... the fact that you're asking says something I think...
Old 06-13-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm sensing a certain little bit of testiness about your alternative at-home evening. Maybe you're not finding enough fun in your life since you gave up socializing in pubs? I'm sticking to my vote against an evening in the pub, which sounds grueling to me, and suggesting that you spend some of the money you're saving by not buying booze shopping online for supplies for a new & fascinating hobby -- bee-keeping? Latex fetishism? Or maybe eco-tourism?
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, the 'boring' options you mentioned are the best choice.

No, I wouldn't go.

No, it would make no difference if it was one pub or ten.

If you want to smooth things over with work colleagues invite them for coffee.
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I hear ya. Maybe that's a bigger issue than the pub crawl in a way?

I think it would be good for you to think about other things you want to do or try now you're sober Ophelia? Hobbies interests?

When the only social occasions on offer are drinking ones I think we have to explore alternatives or risk becoming a hermit?

So, even with 18 months (!), it seems that everyone agrees this would be a crappy decision?

If I hadn't said it was a pub CRAWL and that I just was going to A pub with some colleagues, would that have made a difference?
LOL if you want to go, thats your choice - but something made you ask.

Building a sober life you love takes time, but I really think it's worth it.
I really think that's where you're at right now.

D
Old 06-13-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
I'm sensing a certain little bit of testiness about your alternative at-home evening. Maybe you're not finding enough fun in your life since you gave up socializing in pubs? I'm sticking to my vote against an evening in the pub, which sounds grueling to me, and suggesting that you spend some of the money you're saving by not buying booze shopping online for supplies for a new & fascinating hobby -- bee-keeping? Latex fetishism? Or maybe eco-tourism?
Your eclectic hobby choices cracked me up.

Shopping online IS always fun, and finding a fascinating hobby might do the trick.

*thinks hard and wishes for interest in anything beside lit up screen entertainment.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Everybody is different. You have to do what feels right. You could always go and the second you feel uncomfortable (if that even happens) just leave. As for me, I just turned down a pub crawl a couple weeks ago, but I am only 90 days sober. I hope you make the right decision for yourself. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

doesn't sound like fun for this sober guy
but then
to each his or her own

if not very firm in our sobriety a no would be the best answer

Mountainman
Old 06-13-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't think it's crazy, but you need to decide if you're prepared to spend some time around booze and people drinking booze? At some point it's going to happen, maybe now is a time to test yourself? If you feel weak, then excuse yourself immediately and go buy a big ice cream cone
Old 06-13-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
I don't think it's crazy, but you need to decide if you're prepared to spend some time around booze and people drinking booze? At some point it's going to happen, maybe now is a time to test yourself? If you feel weak, then excuse yourself immediately and go buy a big ice cream cone
mhmm...true true...good point.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by SigChiScooby View Post
Everybody is different. You have to do what feels right. You could always go and the second you feel uncomfortable (if that even happens) just leave. As for me, I just turned down a pub crawl a couple weeks ago, but I am only 90 days sober. I hope you make the right decision for yourself. Good luck!
"Second[s]" that make me "uncomfortable" come often (one thing that drinking soothed) for me.

Maybe I should step put of my comfort (bed) zone and try to deal with uncomfortable situations (I do this ALL the time at work, though!) and talk to the adult human beings (at night!) without the balm of booze.

ugh. I need chocolate and an icy diet coke.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
maybe now is a time to test yourself?
From personal experience, I'm not a big fan of this approach. Tests are what they give you when it's not an actual emergency. This is not a test, this is your life. I don't play games by "testing" my addiction -- anymore.