Notices
View Poll Results: Shoud RO go?
yes
21.74%
no
78.26%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Should I go to a Work Pub Crawl tonightl?

Old 06-13-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by airwick View Post
Just the name "Pub Crawl" sounds a bit freaky to me. For a person who is trying to stay sober, even asking the question seems a bit silly
Thanks for coming out to play and calling my question silly!

This is the name they gave the event, as it was about four pubs over the course of the evening. I was considering attending ONE of the first locations (as stated in the beginning of this thread).

People going out to drink over the course of the night at the same location versus going out to drink at multiple nearby locations isn't too much different. The point was, should I go and hang out -- for a short period of time -- with some colleagues as some odd stressors have happened lately at work, and I thought it might be good to reconnect as well as get out of the house for a bit.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

No.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

No way!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

When in doubt, I always ask Grumpy cat: Here is what she had to say so I voted NO

Old 06-13-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

RO, i'm glad you stayed home but i am concerned for you. You spent a lot of this thread trying to defend the reason you want to attend. I'm wondering if you came here hoping that someone would give you permission to go. I'm glad you came here for advice and i'm glad you stayed home but i am concerned. Read this thread again later and see if you are okay with your responses. I just see a lot of attempts to justify going to what is essentially a drinking party.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Pub crawl = no
Briefly go to pub to socialize with colleagues = if you feel comfortable being around your colleagues while they drink and you don't

I voted no because of the title of the event. Only you can know what sounds comfortable, and it sounds like you made the right choice by staying home.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
Felt some weirdness at work that might be smoothed over with some socializing with certain colleagues. My sobriety date is at the bottom.

I'd seriously only attend for an hour - no longer than 2. If I had no apprehension about it though, why wouldn't I just be there now? Anyway, thought I'd see what kind of responses I'd get to maybe help solidify a decision.

What do you think? Should I stay (home) or should I go? {insert music}
Is there a legitamate reason for you to attend, or are you trying to recatch old-times? Is this for business?

You should stay home, no official business matter normally is done on a pub crawl. Have you asked any real live, face to face friends? perhaps a sponsor? maybe family members?
Old 06-13-2014, 11:19 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

No stay home!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
Yeah. It does sound pretty torturous. My sole reason would be to try to feel out a work situation and, hopefully, reconnect a little with people who are in my dept. Well, and to socialize and (maybe?) have a few laughs.As for other enjoyable things that I could do tonight; I can't think of anything except watch tv, surf online, and snack on something--the same thing I do nearly every damn night.
I have mixed feelings on this.I have similar sober time to youand for me I'd think as follows:

- I agree with others and there are many better ways I'd rather spend an evening
- That said, I could go for an hour or 2 and not fear I would somehow drink
- I'd look at your motives for going. I've highlighted what jumps out at me. If all around you are drinking and perhaps asking why you're not, maybe think you're a party pooper/boring for not having 'oh just 1' is this really an ideal environment for reconnecting?
- For me others being drunk and me sober is not an environment for a few laughs
Old 06-13-2014, 11:35 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Maybe I should step put of my comfort zone and try to deal with uncomfortable situations
When I find my comfort zone I make darn sure I stay in it. Life is pretty uncomfortable and difficult so much of the time when I find a comfortable bit I do all I can to stay in it
Old 06-14-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Comfortable is safe... but one sometimes has to venture outside it to grow. It can be dangerous though. I guess the trick is to avoid reckless.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Ophelia, unsure if your workmates are similar to mine but when they go on a pub crawl they mean business. How much they can drink. Not that they need an excuse, their culture is drinking.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

RO , i absolutely know where you are coming from re this question as i have been contemplating the exact same thing of late .

One of the girls at work asked why i never go to any of the send offs and functions we have . I just laughed it off and said I'm a hermit . I feel that you think at 18 months sobriety you think its time for you to give it a go and reconnect with workmates and get out of your lull.

You and only you are the only one who can really answer this .i go to a pub every Wednesday night for a counter meal and 5 scrabble games .I'm confident enough in my sobriety to decline drinks , even when they have been bought for me . I just know I'm confident enough not to drink .

Can you honestly say you are ? If you hesitate even for a second or have a flash of having a drink or romanticise it even momentarily , then noooooo .

My immediate response was to say NO! but i thought about it . Pub crawl sounds like a big booze up and that's the sole purpose for them but you seemed to have rationalised it by only staying a while and at one place .

If you feel like you are ready , give it a try . If you feel the slightest bit uncomfortable , leave .

I could think of nothing worse than being the only sober one around drunks . Ironic hey !

Maybe it is your time if you are confident enough good luck , i know you missed this one but only you can decide this and only the day can decide it , cos we know as alcoholics , what we say we are going to do one day with conviction , could be totally the opposite to the way you feel on the day of the event.

Hugs xxx :-)
Old 06-14-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
... when they go on a pub crawl they mean business.
Lol, yeah, I seem to remember something like that too. We called it bar hopping but same effect Fortunately, most were within walking distance. Not that that mattered much. We weren't walking very well for long. Easier to drive sometimes.

Great post SnoozyQ!
Old 06-14-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Too bad we are so scattered around the world and "virtual". We could have all had a roaring good time last night if we met up with our "chocolate and icy diet coke", "root beer floats", mineral waters, ice teas, sodas - and I mean that seriously; we could have had a blast.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Should an alcoholic go on a pub crawl? Hmmm, let me think about that...

Shocked to see that as of now it's 34-10 in favor of "no". I would think it would be 44-0.

You are an addict. Would you send a crack addict on a "crack den crawl"? Would it be okay, as long as she doesn't do crack?

It's completely the wrong setting for developing socializing tools, IMO. Glad you didn't go!
Old 06-14-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Should an alcoholic go on a pub crawl? Hmmm, let me think about that...

Shocked to see that as of now it's 34-10 in favor of "no". I would think it would be 44-0.

You are an addict. Would you send a crack addict on a "crack den crawl"? Would it be okay, as long as she doesn't do crack?

It's completely the wrong setting for developing socializing tools, IMO. Glad you didn't go!
It should be 35-9. I clicked incorrectly on my mobile and can't undo it.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I've always believed if you have to ask don't .
Through out my years sober, I've had numerous wedding receptions birthday paries etc. where alcohol was flowing freely.

It's so much being around place where alcohol is being served, it's the atmosphere.
I've never had much of a comfort zone at a bar. Bar and grille if I'm there to eat isn't a concern. A concert where I'm there for the music or a sporting event.

Finally, am I with social drinkers or people that drank like I used to.
Once the people I'm around start slurring words, time for me to look for the door.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

So that was a no sombrero?
Old 06-14-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Too bad we are so scattered around the world and "virtual". We could have all had a roaring good time last night if we met up with our "chocolate and icy diet coke", "root beer floats", mineral waters, ice teas, sodas - and I mean that seriously; we could have had a blast.
I absolutely agree with this SoberLeigh ;-) it's nice to have got to this point isn't it ;-) don't forget the potato chips and chocolate ...ye hah !