Notices
View Poll Results: Shoud RO go?
yes
21.74%
no
78.26%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Should I go to a Work Pub Crawl tonightl?

Old 06-13-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Nope.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I might be off base, but it sounds like you think going to the pup crawl would be more exciting, that you're bored with your routine. I think that is the worst time to "try" going to a pup of any kind. JMHO.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Old 06-13-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Thanks for adding a musical accompaniment (and flowers!) to your opinion, Nerferkamichael! I'm grooving to it as I type this!

"no no no no, i don't drink it anymore, i'm tired of waking up on the floor!" -- never ever heard this song before! LOL

(you know what's weird, i DID actually used to sneeze sometimes when i first started a drinking night)
Old 06-13-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Depends how you feel and if there really would be an opportunity to feel out a situation before everything gets too loose.

I totally get why others say no...I'd be waiting to see how I felt after work. If I was tired or not interested, don't go. If all good, go for a lemonade, tell them you have visitors coming over, and leave. The snub factor is then gone.

I understand the vehement no's. But I'm ok with a lemonade and half an hour chat for me personally, but only if it's genuinely when I don't feel tired or done with the day.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
From personal experience, I'm not a big fan of this approach. Tests are what they give you when it's not an actual emergency. This is not a test, this is your life. I don't play games by "testing" my addiction -- anymore.
Good point, "test" was probably a poor choice of words. But at some point all of us have to reengage with the world at large, and in the world at large there will always be some event, celebration, party, get together, business function etc. where alcohol is available.

I understand that we should limit our exposure, but a strong sobriety should make us capable of being around alcohol for at least limited periods of time.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Depends how you feel and if there really would be an opportunity to feel out a situation before everything gets too loose.

I totally get why others say no...I'd be waiting to see how I felt after work. If I was tired or not interested, don't go. If all good, go for a lemonade, tell them you have visitors coming over, and leave. The snub factor is then gone.

I understand the vehement no's. But I'm ok with a lemonade and half an hour chat for me personally, but only if it's genuinely when I don't feel tired or done with the day.
I was home from work around 3:30. The pub night started at 6:30. It is now 8:49 PM. I'm watching a stupid cooking show (and getting hungry) and reading about some dumb comments Texas governor (idiot) Rick Perry made (and getting angry).

If I don't go soon, I won't go.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ok my initial response... on an alcoholic website was- um no... However I didn't really avoid any kind of drinking scenario when I quit because it's the socializing I desired. I still go to bars and parties. Most all of my friends drink but not excessively and I love to spend time with them. They aren't alcoholics (that I know of). So if you want a night out and think it would be fun and you won't be tempted you should go. However I think Pub Crawls might be ONLY about drinking. I personally love to get out of the house and whenever I do I generally feel better. I second Feenix that if you feel like you might cave, just excuse yourself and leave.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well since they're already two hours into the crawl, I'd say it's best to just skip it. I'm guessing your friends and associates are probably well lubricated at this point, making any kind of decent sober social interaction impossible.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Ophelia, you might have heard this, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". Watching a stupid cooking show is better than being stupid drunk, rootin for ya.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I *have* been at establishments that serve alcohol before this event. It's just that work stress was one excuse for drinking and I'd have to order something, and people would notice and ask...in fact, there's one woman who has mentioned alcohol to me a handful of times in the last five months. It's almost like she's wanting to KNOW if I stopped or someone (one person knows I stopped) told her I have. Something's off there. She'll be watching but who cares, right?
Old 06-13-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
Ophelia, you might have heard this, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". Watching a stupid cooking show is better than being stupid drunk, rootin for ya.
They are actually cooking Italian!

Thanks
Old 06-13-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I'm kinda stressed out thinking of going. It isn't holding much fun in my head when I think about it. The work crud will have to be handled during regular hours.

I do deserve some popcorn and chocolate though, don't I?

Thanks for everyone's opinion and support.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Oh God, if you are home, then nope....I'm for the couch, not the bar.

If it was straight after work and you weren't tired is the only scenario I'd bother with.

Sounds like a great night in!xx
Old 06-13-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I agree.... Now that you are home and they have been drinking for 2+ hours...definitely a no. Maybe if you went at the start for half hour or so, but now...I say stay put.

What show? I love the Foodnetwork!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm only on Day 6 so I have no idea what it feels like to go 18 months. I can't imagine myself not going to bars in 18 months. Then again, I'm an alone drinker... It's much more difficult for me to be alone and be sober... and the high prices for drinks at the bar are a huge turn off for me. It's day 6 and I could probably go to a bar tonight and easily not drink . However, staying at home alone...it's killing me tonight.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi RevivingOphelia - I think that I would have to vote "No" as the whole point of a pub-crawl is drinking, drinking and more drinking. There isn't much quality socializing going on - which for me now, as a sober person, is the whole point of going out. I can now be around people who are drinking but not those whose main purpose for the evening is drinking. The pub-crawl for me would be a total waste of time.

I like your idea of chocolate and an icy diet coke. It reminded me of a root beer float.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I vote "no" mostly as I spent last weekend at a family event where they went on an american version of a pub crawl. I went out of obligation, social pressure, to spend "quality time" with family...I did not drink/did not want to drink and was the only one not drinking. It wasn't much fun and definitely was not quality time. But, I survived!

Just my two 1/2 cents....Pan
Old 06-13-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I'm (still) in bed; have moved on from popcorn and onto birthday cake ice cream. I need to get back to the treadmill this weekend!

Thanks voters and supporters!
Old 06-13-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
Felt some weirdness at work that might be smoothed over with some socializing with certain colleagues. My sobriety date is at the bottom.

I'd seriously only attend for an hour - no longer than 2. If I had no apprehension about it though, why wouldn't I just be there now? Anyway, thought I'd see what kind of responses I'd get to maybe help solidify a decision.

What do you think? Should I stay (home) or should I go? {insert music}
Just the name "Pub Crawl" sounds a bit freaky to me. For a person who is trying to stay sober, even asking the question seems a bit silly