Notices

Newcomer

Old 06-13-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Newcomer

Hey everyone, I've been sober for almost a month. I've been to 2 AA meetings and am going to stick with it. I was wondering how long it takes to start feeling "normal" again. I feel so depressed a lot of the time. I'll have moments where I think that I'm doing great and I feel motivated, but then I sink back into depression. I've been doing a lot of nothing. Movies and TV aren't really interesting anymore and I don't really have the motivation to read or find hobbies. I have to find a new group of friends because I can't be around the people I was with if I want to stay sober. I'm hoping that this feeling of hopelessness passes. Can anyone relate?
Old 06-13-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! Great to have you onboard!!

Those feelings will pass, your body and mind needs to adjust to not having what it has always had, it'll take time, stick with it!!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, clvlcv. I think almost all of us can relate.

It is an emotional roller coaster at first. Your emotions will eventually stabilize; it takes time.

Congratulations on a month of sobriety!!!!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Clvcv. Congrats on your sober time, and glad you are finding help in AA and now hopefully SR. Someone is always online here so don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for support whenever you need it.

Regarding feeling "normal" - that's a pretty open ended question with many possible answers. For me it took several months to fully recover from the physical side of drinking. Regarding your depression, that could just take time - but it could also be a separate issue to address. Many of us have underlying conditions that we tried to escape from by drinking ( depression, anxiety, OCD, ect ) but while quitting drinking helps it doesn't always solve those problems. Have you ever spoken to your doctor or a therapist about your depression? It's a very common and very treatable condition.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Scott, I have been struggling with mental health issues for around 3 years. I've had a psychiatrist and have been on a ton of different medications. But being an addict, part of the reason why I hit rock bottom is because I started abusing even the psychiatric meds. I'm looking to find a good councilor and try therapy without drugs because I feel like medication might make me revert to old ways :/
Old 06-13-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome clvlvc37 - congrats on your sobriety. First month is the toughest. Just keep chugging along and you'll feel better in no time.
How long does it last? Many factors go into it, but don't expect to feel like superman for a few months yet. There will be ups and downs along the way, just keep positive knowing that it DOES get better.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi clvlcv, welcome to sr and congratulations on a month sober, brill.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and good for you for your 30 days. When I started to get sober I expected that the “cure” would occur within the first week, 2 at the most. Well I found out from the pros, this was back in the 70s, that during my drinking years certain damages had occurred and it takes time to get back to “normal.” We progress at different speeds and I wanted the fastest. That included 90 meetings in 90 days, getting and using a sponsor along with getting active in the fellowship. I was quite undisciplined and wanted things my way but as they said “how’s your way worked for you so far, and if you don’t like your results following our suggestions your misery is refundable.”
So far it’s working.

BE WELL
Old 06-13-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome
the first month is tough for sure - Day 32 here. And going through the same highs n lows. One minute, feeling fabuuuuuuuuuuuulous then the next not so great. I'm usually a pretty active person who likes to stay busy but I am trying to be gentle with myself and allow it (mind, body, soul) to just appreciate the down time.
but if you are worried there may be a deeper, underlying depression it may be worth a trip to the Dr.
I chant "THIS TOO SHALL PASS" a lot these days I tell ya!
Old 06-13-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR and congrats on your sober month. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome - it's so good to meet you clv.

I definitely needed more than a month to heal & start feeling more hopeful. It takes awhile for us to adjust to our 'new normal'. I'm glad you're in counseling. You will get there.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I felt I reached an equilibrium of sorts sometime around 3-4 months in. Definitely felt much better at that point than I did one month in, so perhaps you'll see some improvement in the next 2-3 months, but it's slow going and probably not visible with the naked eye, more of a time-lapse photography thing.

Just keep doing what you're doing and it'll come around.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome clvlcv

I think support really helps - especially in those low moments.
Really glad to have you with us

D