Notices

Don't want to drink anymore

Old 06-13-2014, 01:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Don't want to drink anymore

Hi everybody

I am new to this forum, but I have been reading posts on SR for the last year or so. I am 50 years old, have been drinking for the past 20 years. I never drank every day, could not face alcohol when I was hung over, but at least twice or three times a week, everytime untill I blacked out. I can think of many reasons to mention here why I started and continued my drinking habit but, in the end, it's my life and I know it was my own choice and my own free will. I could have dealt with my circumstances in a different way, but, the fact is I did not and turned to alcohol for comfort.

On 21 May 2014 I had my last drinking session and decided that I had enough of this, I cannot live with the self-hatred, self-loathing, disgusted, depressed feelings any longer. I sat and made a list of the pro's and cons of drinking. Guess what - I could not come up with one pro.

Today is day 23 of sobriety for me. It feels so good to wake up in the morning with NO hangover, NO more worrying of what I said and did not say the previous night that might have offended someone, NO more searching of where the heck I have hidden my bottles of wine this time, NO more self-hatred and self-loathing, NO more submissive feelings, NO more black and blue marks all over my body which I had no clue where it came from, NO more wondering who I contacted or text the previous night and what was said in these conversations, etc, etc. I can now look life straight in the eye and feel confident about myself knowing that I am getting better and better each and every day. From now on my motto in life is: don't try and fight the past, live for the future. So I am trying not to think of my alcohol-filled days that are in the past, but am looking forward to a new me and a new life, trying to live it to the fullest.

The road is not easy and each and every day brings its new challenges, cravings come and go but I am determined to fight this deamon, like I said I am nog going to fight the past, once and for all. And luckily I have a very supportive husband, who is really trying hard to be a pillar in my life right now.

I hope you all have a super duper day and, thanks for listening. I find great comfort in reading everybody's posts. At least I don't feel so lonely anymore. Your posts really help me to stay on track and some days I also get my daily smile in when I can so relate with all these posts.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things dejavu
happy to have you join us

D
Old 06-13-2014, 01:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Welcome to SR. I found this site really supportive in my goal to remain long term sober. I hope you stay around and help others who are just starting out.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome! No loner waking up with mystery bruises. So simple but so nice!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They really are mystery bruises, I rarely drank to the point of blacking out, but still woke up with bruises, scratches, scrapes, and no idea...

Welcome to SR dejavu and congratulations on 23 days
Old 06-13-2014, 02:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome, dejavu, congratulations to you on your decision, and on your success! I think it is a very important first step to do as you did, make that pro and con list. It can really help to solidify that plan about ever using alcohol again. For me, the most important part of that was the list of things that I could have or do ONLY if I were sober. It led me to the realization that I could drink, OR I could have a life worth living, but there is no way on God's green earth I could do both.

Best to you, and onward!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everybody for all your kind words. I am really looking forward in having this journey ahead of me together with you guys as my inspiration and I hope that I could also be of help to other people in this same situation. We are all in this boat together.

Love you All !!!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Welcome, dejavu, congratulations to you on your decision, and on your success! I think it is a very important first step to do as you did, make that pro and con list. It can really help to solidify that plan about ever using alcohol again. For me, the most important part of that was the list of things that I could have or do ONLY if I were sober. It led me to the realization that I could drink, OR I could have a life worth living, but there is no way on God's green earth I could do both.

Best to you, and onward!
You are absolutely right freshstart, you cannot both drink and have a life worth living, the two just do not go together.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome and congrats on 23 days!
when I came back to my apt. after being in detox for a week, I was slightly terrified that my BF hadn't found all my wine bottles I hid...the last couple benders were bad and I was hiding them everywhere, some places not even well!!!
and the bruises. my god, I was like a friggin peach!
don't miss those days!

stick around here, you'll find all kinds of support
Old 06-13-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome.

Alcohol, besides making us prone to running into things, makes us more susceptible to bruising as well. Double whammy!

Where in South Africa if I might ask? I used to work for a South African company 20 years ago.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
welcome and congrats on 23 days!
when I came back to my apt. after being in detox for a week, I was slightly terrified that my BF hadn't found all my wine bottles I hid...the last couple benders were bad and I was hiding them everywhere, some places not even well!!!
and the bruises. my god, I was like a friggin peach!
don't miss those days!

stick around here, you'll find all kinds of support
Thank you so much Jupiters, you have definitely put a smile on my face today with your comments.

I was so embarassed the other day when my friend asked me what was in my coffee flask that was in the back of one of my cupboards and I told her there shouldn't be anything in it because we haven't used it for ages. She opened it up and said I must smell it, and oh my word, it was flippen wine. I cannot even remember pouring it in there, but just shows you how clever one thinks one is when you are so out of it, thinking that no one will know you have put the wine in there, in the meantime you cannot even remember yourself. It is crazy.

Never, ever, ever want to be in that situation again.

Good luck to you as well, I hope, no, I know we can stick this out together.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! Great job on 23 Days!!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wait til you move house sober, I bet you'll find more hidden bottles.

Damn crazy.

Glad you are on the mend.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
Welcome.

Alcohol, besides making us prone to running into things, makes us more susceptible to bruising as well. Double whammy!

Where in South Africa if I might ask? I used to work for a South African company 20 years ago.
You may ask Taking 5. I am in the Joburg area. Please to meet you.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That's a great motto to have dejavu and I'm sure it strikes a note with pretty much everyone on here. Consider it officially stolen!! Haha......

I've only recently rejoined SR and I'm on day 6. So many things in your post I can relate to, great to know there is a community on here that share experiences, both good and bad. Looking forward to your future contributions and welcome to SR.

OTL
Old 06-13-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

thanx for that post! i cracked up at jupiter's "like a peach" description of bruising.

i listened to the birds again this morning. -not one of my old habits, for sure!