Notices

I know its a cop out but......

Old 06-13-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am a 38 year old pretty blokey Aussie. (No Dee I don't mean I am pretty) and I am in a heavy drinking job

When getting sober I did dry July and I also did Ocsober, similar thing but raising money for a different charity I think.

They were great stepping stones for me to get my head around the fact that I was capable of quitting and getting a feel for peoples reactions as well as seeing the physical and mental health benefits.

It really helped me and I eventually quit and am still sober, touch wood.

I say go for it.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

the "boring, and no fun" part is a lie. an absolute lie. you can holler, dance, get rowdy, and have "deep" conversations without drinking. no one is going to break out a breathylizer and make sure you are partying proper like.

took me awhile to figure that one out.

the exciting, fun things you could miss are the puking, car wrecks, injuries, skeezy hook-ups, hangovers, regretful statements, and slow painful death.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by donz View Post
Hi again, Im 38, not sure if that is considered young!
I decided a long time ago that I have a problem with alcohol, I just needed the courage to address my issue....the culture I am surrounded in is very much a drinking culture, a single woman in Sydney with a decent income finds herself at whisky tasting functions, winery tours, wine festivals, etc....what I meant about telling other people is simply that they will know from the onset that there is something 'not right' if im not drinking and if I tell them I am an alcoholic it may very well cause offence to my friends as they may think that if I have a problem, do they?
Dry July is just an easy transition into a bigger change.
I hope I make sense, I'm not trying to be annoying, I guess I just started this thread as means to think out loud because I'm not ready to talk to anyone in person about it yet...
Donz, I am a female in Sydney, had a reasonably fast professional career. Tried sobriety since last July. Sure, some were surprised, I worked with big drinkers and it was the professional norm, functions, lunches, you name it...and I always had glass in hand myself. I told them I made a lifestyle change, for my health....you owe no one an explanation, and as time goes on, they will either stop asking, or will think it's fantastic.

Good luck, it is possible and you will find lots of tips and encouragement here on SR.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
....you owe no one an explanation.
I like this.
B/C it's so simple and true.