Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

weeKender , 13th 14th & 15th of june 2014 lets get through together.

Notices

weeKender , 13th 14th & 15th of june 2014 lets get through together.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Yes on speak up before you pick up! Speak up early and often to nip things in the bud.

Just dropped kids at school. Last day. I got weepy talking to one of my son's teachers. She was weepy too. She is a lovely woman who has helped me see my son through different eyes. Calls him a lovely soul. Sometimes hard for me to see when he is running around screaming and throwing things at his sister and me. My kids are in a school which has split grades so they have the same two teachers for two years. My daughter moves from kindergarten to first grade and keeps her teachers. My son is moving on to fourth grade and leaving his second/third grade teachers behind. Hence the weeping. I have to accept that my babies aren't babies anymore.

Time to stop pondering and get ready for work. Friday, it's Friday! Weather is cool, breezy and brightly sunny. A bit of a nip in the air. Gorgeous.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I'm in!!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I couldn't find the tea room. BUT!, I'd rather die in the gutter before I patronize a starbucks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hotlYa3JL04
Brain why are you anti-Starbucks? Don't you like their coffee?
Old 06-13-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good morning, Everyone!

Occasional anger-surfing over here. Luckily not rage-surfing. Just huffy and irritable at times. Sometimes getting worked up over completely imaginary confrontations (not new to me).

Also snark-surfing. May I watch my tongue and typing fingers throughout the day.

Otherwise it's a very nice sober Friday morning, the beginning of Sober Weekend.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good to see you fogetfulK! Mood swings go with the territory so you must be doing something right!
Old 06-13-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

In,

Looking forward to a lot of sports this weekend,
US Open Golf
World Cup
Stanley Cup
Beautiful morning here in Vegas
Old 06-13-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Just went back to the doctor: he took my eyepatch off, checked me out and said the eye is doing great. Vision is pretty darn good. No real double vision yet--maybe just a tad, intermittently. I would be very happy if I didn't have to get surgery on the other eye to match the vision up.

Tomorrow my family and my daughter's family are going to drive to a resort community that my in-laws have invested in. They have a pool there, and I definitely plan to splash around in it with my three-year-old granddaughter.

(Last time I swam was two years ago, when I jumped 30 feet off a deck into a lake. Believe it or not, the only thing that hurt was my ear!)
Old 06-13-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Happy weekend everyone!

Going to get some work done today and enjoy the World Cup! Mexico plays this morning, Spain vs. Netherlands this afternoon! And the Aussies play this evening (at least, here in the States)...what a great way to kick off the weekend. England vs. Italy tomorrow is the big draw. What a match! I know you Brits are freaking out. And Costa Rica plays this weekend, go Ticos!

I'll spend the rest of the weekend working on my side business and preparing for my trip to Central America which is coming up in 2 weeks. I've been slowly taking care of 1 or 2 "small things" each day, making sure things are all set for my long absence from Chicago.

Plus: a local yoga teacher asked me out for coffee this weekend...yeeps! Dare I go out and meet a woman for coffee? I am going to be leaving for a month in just 2 weeks. I suppose I should still go - what's the harm in making a new neighborhood friend? I am hesitant for another silly reason: I am growing a scruffy beard so that I can "rough it" in Central America, I am feeling my wild side! I don't want to come off as a "slob" on a coffee date - but I don't want to shave because growing this "travel beard" is a tradition and a labor of love! What to do????
Old 06-13-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Just be yourself, BigSombrero! If she can't handle a little scruff on a man, what kind of woman is she, anyway? Explain it to her just the way you explained it here. She'll understand that you meant no disrespect.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Why don't you just tell her what you told us? You're growing it for your trip. That way it sounds like a plan and not a slovenly act.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Just a hunch bigsombrero but if you asked the women on SR if they like some stubble I think most would say yes. I personally go with the designer stubble and the feedback has been good.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

BigSombrero, I would keep the beard as a conversation starter ...

Tomorrow morning I will take my cat to the vet for her yearly shots. I plan to learn at least one good new card trick this weekend. Got a couple movies lined up on Netflix.

There's also a book on avoiding harmful speech that I plan to get and start reading this weekend ("Positive Word Power" by Chana Nestlebaum, saw it on Artscroll.com's website a couple weeks ago and have been thinking about that topic since then. I think I found their site because I was reading "The Gift of Asher Lev" by Chaim Potok and had to look up "chumash").

BTW, this is the last Friday the 13th with a full moon for about 35 years. There's a cool spooky/cinematic music track I think I'll post this evening to go along with that.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Yeah, Kevin, somebody on another thread said that the next full moon on Friday the 13th will be in 2049.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Greetings, my fellow Whee!kenders!

Saturday is shopping day in the Mandalay household (now that yours truly isn't locked away in her room with a bottle) so we're going to the farmer's market and then to the mall--Mr. Mandalay wants to get pants and I need a new band for my good watch. We usually have lunch or dinner out too. Sunday Mr. Mandalay is working in the morning so I might do a repeat of last Sunday's walk around the park/solo breakfast out. I might go somewhere different to eat, though. Richmond is very much a Sunday brunch town so I have a lot of choices. I'm also playing with a writing project and may peek in on hockey. It's nice to want to do things other than get obliterated.

Happy whee!kend to all!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
speaking of tea, maybe Olive can let me know the name of the tea shop just up the hill from the pedestrian crossover to the piers. It's on the corner. I still have some tea from there but want to get away from coffee and need to get back to the teas again. Got my official loose leaf tea pot.
Brain,

There is a shop called Market Spice in the Pike Place Market that has wonderful teas and spices. Their signature tea is amazing. Black tea with cinnamon, delicious. I always have some on hand.
It is an easy walk to the waterfront. Perhaps this is the shop you were thinking of?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Beards are HAWT!! I love a man with a beard! I prefer my women without though. To each her own, right?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hey All - in for my 36th sober weekend. For those who are new here and struggling I want you to know that you can reach a point in your sobriety where weekends feel normal again without alcohol. You will find a new normal, new habits, hopefully new interests ( or old interests rekindled) that you will look forward to and that will make the time fly by. This won't happen overnight, and there will be ups and downs, but you will find your own equilibrium and be grateful for your freedom. Give it time, do whatever you have to do, just don't drink. Lots of people here to help you.

Took my first yoga class, should say I survived my first yoga class, barely. If not for the 90 year old next to me I might have quit half way through. This was a big wake-up call, thought I was in pretty good shape walking and biking. I committed to 10 more classes. Figured I'd better use it or lose it ( too many years sitting on my arse behind a computer and behind a bottle).

Raining here, watching the killing on netflix ( weather suitably somber for this series).

Happy sober weekend!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I forget why I hate starbucks. Not actually the starbucks, just the fact that people are so gullible to fall for it.
The tea shop was a small place with an oriental theme. It is not really a cafe type. A small tea bar and sales. Walk down a steep hill next to it to get to the crossover.

Why am I here again. Had to burn off some frustration.

I did a complete clean of my grill, then cooked it at 550 for a half hour +, then set it to see what the lowest temp I could sustain - just under 240, a little too hot but I can work with it. Got back from market with salad fixins. And the skies opened up - it's a pouring rain on my grill. I'm still going to smoke them ribs if it's the last thing I do today (I am soaking my mesquite now). Make a big pitcher of iced tea. etc.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oldselfagain View Post
Brain why are you anti-Starbucks? Don't you like their coffee?
Here's a silly one. We were in Philly this past winter to see the symphony. Walking up toward city hall from Kimmel Center we wanted to stop for coffee. I passed two starbucks in the cold wet snow just on principal. Wife was pee-oood over that. Diner coffee is just as good and 1/4 of the price.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Nothing beats 7-11 coffee. If I take my own cup I can get any size for just one single dollar.

I do occasionally go to Starbucks, but it is super dumb paying over 5 bucks for a coffee.