Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

weeKender , 13th 14th & 15th of june 2014 lets get through together.

Notices

weeKender , 13th 14th & 15th of june 2014 lets get through together.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Thanks Mecanix for bringing the Weekend thread to life!! Love being here with you all.

Leave it to you Ruby...I cannot WAIT to try out that apricot fizzy water. Apricots, especially the fresh fruit, are one of my favorite foods in the world. As soon as I get back to town, heading to Target is at the top of my list.

I'm still at home now. After 24hours of managing delays, flight rearrangements, more delays and rearrangements, I arrived at the airport ticket counter to find that the last flight out of town had just been cancelled. Argh.

My usual method of dealing with all the emotions surrounding something like this, or anything really, were not employed. Since drinking alcohol until oblivion is in my not too distant past, it was an opportunity to do something new. So far, so good. Fingers crossed for successfully flying out in the morning - Friday the 13th, day of a full moon?!? This should be interesting. I'll be thinking of you Olive Jupiters, I will be out and about and I am definitely a WHackadoodle. Watch out!!

Complacency. This was the theme of one of the Friday support chats here on SR not too long ago...rings true every waking moment. Always on my mind. Cannot be complacent with the single most important commitment to myself I have ever made in my life.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:56 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Am I late? Hmmmm...

M thanks for starting us off with a warm welcome!

*Ring Ring*

Had a busy Thursday but here for the duration.

Sent a postcard off to Olive. I have to say I have not bought a stamp in... What? .... Maybe 5 -8 years? I don't mail anything since everything I paid is done on my PC. So thank you Olive for the little trip back to a lost time for me! Lol I even had to write on it!!!! My penmanship is nasty!

Welcome everyone! Happy Friday indeed.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm in. It's my first sober weekend in quite a while. Possibly first this year. Feeling great but big test will be tomorrow night when friends arrive for dinner with numerous bottles of wine. Oh well, I'm up for it. Up for a sober weekend that is. Good luck everyone xox
Old 06-13-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Chicken cracklings? If they can even be compared to bacon I am up for trying it!

Spending time with my brother is great, but like any house guest I am ready for him to leave after 3 days. I like my routines, and house guests interfere with them. I am probably destined to be a grumpy old man one day.

My brother drinks a brand of beer that is very popular in the USA, but one which I hated even when I was drinking. I would only drink it if I was already totally skunked, and sometimes not even then. He likes it, though, and he bought a 6-pack on Tuesday and finished it last night. 2 beers a day. One at around 5 and the other around 8 or 9. I think he just likes the thought of having beer while he is on vacation. Anyway, apparently he was coached by MamaNon or SisterNon (or both) to not drink beer around me and they were unhappy to learn he was having some. They were blowing up his phone and I had to tell them it was no big deal. He could dump a whole bottle of that ratpiss over my head and I wouldn't even lick my lips. Interesting family dynamics coupled with people who don't understand, but who are trying to help. It's almost as frustrating to not be able to explain the great place I am now as it was to not be able to explain the addiction to the non-addicted.

I have had to install 2 updates on my computer so far this morning, each requiring a restart. One of them also managed to sneak a browser toolbar install on me, which I find highly annoying. It might be a great tool, but the fact that they snuck it onto my computer without my permission is so irritating I don't even bother with it. I just go to the control panel and uninstall it.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Getting ready to head to my school's graduation ceremony and then to enjoy the rest of the day off. I also took Monday off so I have a long weekend with awesome weather after today. It's times like this when I look forward to chunks of time off that I'm glad the thought of getting plastered the next few days isn't there. I am able to actually enjoy the time off and be productive; even if that productivity is reading a new book and taking a nap I call it sober productivity...it's the type of productivity that keeps me sober
Old 06-13-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

All in after a stumble recently. To wake up clear eyed and clear headed on a Saturday morning. Better than any buzz the night before. Now, just do it! One day at a time.

Hang everyone and thanks for this board.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders! I'm in please. Recently I have discovered the true pleasure of real loose leaf tea made in a pre-heated teapot -- like grandma used to make. I spent some of my savings from alcohol on some gorgeous quality tea and I will open it this weekend. It's going to be cold here (well cold for us in temperate coastal Australia) so some hot tea, some cooking and some World Cup viewing are in my plans.

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
.. As i eat my lunch in the UK i can send a mail to my friends in America wishing them a good morning , or my friends in Australia a good evening :0)
And mecanix this is your friend in Australia saying goodnight and I hope you are having a good lunch right now -- it's 9.40pm Friday here so 12.40pm Friday in London?
Old 06-13-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

I'm am in for the weekend...I need to catch up on the posts. About Tuesday this week, I started thinking about the weekend and my first thought was: "I can't wait for the SR Wee!ender thread." With my traveling last weekend, I didn't have much time to post but I'll be more active this weekend.

Olive, I am going to get a postcard today at lunch. I might even get it in the mail today...

I am going to have to find that apricot LaCroix! Sorry about the fancy $4 drink.

I will watch the England/Italy game tomorrow. I am American but lived in London for two years where I met my husband who is a Brit. One of my most favorite memories of living in the UK was when I went to a few Chelsea games with an Irishman I dated before I met my husband. We'd stand in the shed and sing and it was so much fun, if not a bit scary at times because when that crowd started moving toward the pitch, you had no choice but to move with it. This was a long time ago - fall of 1989 - so I'm sure the games have changed a lot, but what a great memory. Surprisingly, I didn't drink very much when I was in college so those memories are very vivid even after all this time.

Hope the day goes well for everyone!
Old 06-13-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

It's 7:40 am in east coast USA. Bright, sunny, and warm.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

speaking of tea, maybe Olive can let me know the name of the tea shop just up the hill from the pedestrian crossover to the piers. It's on the corner. I still have some tea from there but want to get away from coffee and need to get back to the teas again. Got my official loose leaf tea pot.
I have 10 lbs of back ribs that MUST be cooked today. Forecast is t-storms (flooding) all afternoon. Was going to charcoal/hickory smoke them. Now not sure. But it is Fri the 13th - always a good day for me.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Sounds like everyone is doing well. LTV, sorry that your flight was cancelled last night. That's frustrating.

And Non, I hate when random toolbars get installed. And I understand the beer thing. I used to buy expensive beers, fooling myself it was all about the taste of a good craft beer and not the alcohol. But if I ran out, the rat **** beers tasted just fine. Because that was what my husband would be drinking.

Good luck Healthiermee with the dinner party. Do you have a plan if the friends do appear bearing gifts? Keep plenty of non alcoholic alternatives around and keep them front and center.

Pot update. The potting plants project was one I talked about on this thread a few weekends ago. I'm glad I update because it is making more mindful and appreciative of the fact that I now see them and can enjoy them. And marvel at how much they change week to week.

Here is this week.

Time to get rolling for the day. Work, then no meeting tonight because it's my moms birthday. Probably just go to my brothers with the kids. Birthday tomorrow. It is getting more and more low key in my head as I just haven't managed the knack of planning in advance. Less stress I'm finding and it will be just fine.

Have a great day!
Old 06-13-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SigChiScooby View Post
Im in for the weekend! Tomorrow will be 90 days sober for me, so I definitely have something to celebrate!
congrats on 90 days scooby!
Old 06-13-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post

I have had to install 2 updates on my computer so far this morning, each requiring a restart. One of them also managed to sneak a browser toolbar install on me, which I find highly annoying. It might be a great tool, but the fact that they snuck it onto my computer without my permission is so irritating I don't even bother with it. I just go to the control panel and uninstall it.
Drives me mad when this happens! I always have the hardest time getting it off of my computer.

Happy Friday morning weekenders!!!!
It is raining outside! What a lovely sound! Just wish I could stay in bed longer to listen.
Love the pot, Ruby!

Hope everyone is doing well today!!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
speaking of tea, maybe Olive can let me know the name of the tea shop just up the hill from the pedestrian crossover to the piers. It's on the corner. I still have some tea from there but want to get away from coffee and need to get back to the teas again. Got my official loose leaf tea pot.
I have 10 lbs of back ribs that MUST be cooked today. Forecast is t-storms (flooding) all afternoon. Was going to charcoal/hickory smoke them. Now not sure. But it is Fri the 13th - always a good day for me.
Do you mean Starbuck's, Brain?
Just kidding! (oh, that was on the colloquial thread, wasn't it!)

We do have lovely tea shops around, I will ponder it and let you know. My favorite loose tea is dragon pearls, or something like that.

Almost forgot about the Friday the 13th!!
Exciting!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I'm in
Old 06-13-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm in for the first time in I don't know how long!!! . Super excited!!!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Count me in. Got sober activities all lined up for Father's Day. Leaving work early today and visiting my grandfather this afternoon at a nursing home up in CT and watching some World Cup (he's from Europe, so loves this), then watching Rangers/Kings with my uncle who doesn't have kids of his own, but my brother and I are both very close with. Then a hike with my dad tomorrow up by his lake house in the mountains of western Massachusetts and some kayaking/canoeing.

Golf Sunday, then back to NYC.

Looking forward to doing all of this without a crippling hangover.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I'm in rootin for everyone.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Healthiermee... Glad you decided to join the weekender thread. First weekend huh? We are right here for you and we are proof it can be done... And you can do this.

Please speak up before you pick up!

Hey thirdtime! Welcome to SR and the weekender thread! Glad to have you on board.

ChristnaN...good to have you aboard. It's nice to be excited about a sober weekend! Be sure to stop in and share with us what you are up to.

Nymets.... Good to see you. I have been following you a bit on other posts. It's good to have sober activities planned. Remember to check in.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I couldn't find the tea room. BUT!, I'd rather die in the gutter before I patronize a starbucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hotlYa3JL04

Last edited by LBrain; 06-13-2014 at 06:17 AM. Reason: link added