Notices

What do you tell people?

Old 06-11-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you tell people?

I just had a therapy session and my therapist told me that I am walking a fine line between confidentiality and secrecy because I don't tell people I'm in recovery or an alcoholic when offered a drink. My thought is, what is it any of their business. I tell people, "I no longer drink," and leave it at that. Any thoughts on this? Please share.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is none of their business, unless you want it to be..
Old 06-11-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree. Its up to you who you trust to tell. If your out with coworkers I would just say I don't drink. If your with family or close friends no shame in telling them the truth because they likely already know. Its your lifeyou decide. As long as your sober I don't know why your therapist should care. Wish you the best
Old 06-11-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Depends on who it is. A very close friend you can probably say the truth. For casual acquaintances, I do not think you need to provide further information. There is definitely a stigma with advertising that you are an "alcoholic" and "in recovery," those words do have a negative connotation for many people.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeap, I just say I'm not drinking at this or that event, or with people I know, "I'm no longer drinking alcohol, make mine a cranberry juice!!"

Things are tough enough dealing with such a big change, only close family/friends may need more info, as in your longer term intentions not to drink, but not everyone else.

It's your decision!!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you tell people your an acohlic it may start an uncomfortable conversation if you are witb people that are blatantly drinking in front of you. That will cause anxiety and ackwardness for the people you with. You don't need to tell anyone why you dong drink. Its none of there business.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just say, "I prefer to remain sober and judge you." Cuts down on the number of invites you have to deal with.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You have all echoed my thoughts exactly. I am comfortable with those closest to me knowing (as if they didn't already suspect something was up), but feel uneasy telling those in professional circles or casual acquaintances this about myself. For those in my professional circle, I feel they may look down on me and decide to do business elsewhere.

I think my therapist was coming from the vein of being in recovery is a badge of courage, not a badge of shame. I think she worries about me, since I still connect alcoholism with shame. It is a double-edged sword. In one respect, yes, I am ashamed (working on this one), but on the other end of the spectrum, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. It has taught me that I can get through anything.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Those closest to me know, because I went to rehab, etc.

For anyone else: I just say "no thanks, I don't drink". It RARELY comes up, and I think you are probably imagining all the scenarios in your head probably a little too much. When pressed, I gave it up for health purposes or that I'm on medication (both are true). If someone still wants details, I will change the subject. But nobody will press you, especially not a stranger.

I remember when I first got sober, a woman was handing out flyers on the street outside of a restaurant. The flyers said "2-for-1 margaritas" or something like that. I told the woman that I didn't drink, and therefore wasn't interested...etc, etc, etc. She looked a bit confused: why was I discussing this with her?

Later, I realized that I didn't need to talk about my drinking to a stranger on the street. Today I would just take the flyer, smile, and go on about my business. Once you get some "sober legs" you'll realize you don't have to confront this issue all the time.
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd be walking a fine line whether I'd go back to that therapist
  # 11 (permalink)  

At social events, I just tell people I'm taking a break from alcohol. It hasn't been a problem so far.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

not crazy about that advice from a "therapist" either.

it's your bidnazz to do what you want with it.
My close friends, family and employers know (hah, there was no hiding it after the last wreckage!)
other than that, if I meet people, I'll simply pass saying "no thanks"
Old 06-11-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
not crazy about that advice from a "therapist" either.
I kind of agree, and I'm not sure about the advice from your therapist.

In retrospect I would have preferred not to tell so many people. That's what the recovery community is for, after all.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd agree with most here - it's your business who you tell or not. Regarding therapists, they all have opinions too, and I definitely don't agree with yours.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Is your therapist in recovery? There are those who
are addiction councilors or even physicians who are
also in recovery that know and live a recovery life.

I for myself find it hard to communicate with
those not in recovery themselves. It's easy to
talk the talk of recovery, but, imo, I believe
one has to be one in order to know one.

If that make sense.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I made no secret of being perched on a bar stool for 35 years, so I don't think I need to make a secret of my recovery. That being said, I don't broadcast it. If someone inquires as to why I don't drink, I tell them.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hmm, I really don't understand what your therapist is getting at? Does she advocate the 12-Steps? If so, that would probably explain the use of the word "secrecy". Really, I don't see any secrecy by saying "I don't drink" or "I no longer drink" without further explanation. Moreover, I don't see any harm in keeping your recovery to yourself or your immediate friends and family.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
Is your therapist in recovery? There are those who
are addiction councilors or even physicians who are
also in recovery that know and live a recovery life.

I for myself find it hard to communicate with
those not in recovery themselves. It's easy to
talk the talk of recovery, but, imo, I believe
one has to be one in order to know one.

If that make sense.
No, she is not in recovery.

This is not the first time this issue has been brought up by her. I feel that this part of my life is private. No need to go out and broadcast it. I have found it hard enough to seek help, and to talk with those closest to me about this.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

my go-to's range from;

"no thank you"

to

"I don't drink"

to

"I don't drink anymore"

to

"I'm giving my body a break"

to

"Drinking has lost whatever allure it once had for me"

to

"I've found that my life is more joyous and full without drinking"

to

"Well, I'm either an alcoholic or I was really well on my way to becoming one, so I decided that was good enough for me. I don't drink".

It all depends how close the person inquiring is and what the context is. I'm actually pretty anti-embracing the alcoholic moniker because it is not something that can be objectively tested for or confirmed, it carries a huge stigma and it has the very real potential to bring about discrimination in many settings. So, I tend to simply focus on either just saying no thank you without any explanation or a simple "I don't drink".

In many cases, close friends or people who have been my drinking buddies in the past have enquired... and with those I will be more open about my reasons and my decisions. Because honestly - some of them may actually see it as an open door to walk through in coming to terms with their own issues with alcohol. And also, because being fully open about it with at least some of my circle of friends and acquaintances is helpful in supporting my choice.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

In polite company I just say, "no thanks."

If pushed, I will look them right in the eye and say bluntly, "I'm an alcoholic!" I'm a naughty girl--I like to see pushy people get discomfited, particularly if they will never see me again.