Notices

What do you tell people?

Old 06-11-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally, I think your therapist gave you really bad advice.

'No thanks' has always worked well for me and I've never had to, nor wanted to offer any other explanation.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Personally, I think your therapist gave you really bad advice.

'No thanks' has always worked well for me and I've never had to, nor wanted to offer any other explanation.
I agree. I feel a bit unsettled about it. I generally really like our sessions, but today's was not the best. I think a previous poster said it best,when the asked if she was in recovery, which she isn't. It's like one of those things that look good on paper, but don't work out.

Anyway, its not the end of the world. I know she was trying to help, but I wanted to get the advice of people that are "in my shoes."

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's up to you whom you tell and what you say. I just say "no thanks" and leave it at that.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ethos23 View Post
I agree. I feel a bit unsettled about it. I generally really like our sessions, but today's was not the best. I think a previous poster said it best,when the asked if she was in recovery, which she isn't. It's like one of those things that look good on paper, but don't work out.

Anyway, its not the end of the world. I know she was trying to help, but I wanted to get the advice of people that are "in my shoes."

Thanks for all the responses.
If you like her and you feel your sessions are helpful, you may just want to politely put your foot down and explain that you don't want to wear your recovery on your sleeve.

Honestly, if for no other reason, it's nice to just say "no thanks" rather than once again wasting 5 to 10 minutes of your life in a conversation with yet another person explaining and justifying why you don't drink. After a few times doing so, it becomes tedious and annoying.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What do you tell people?

Nothing.

KISS principle, Keep It Short n' Sweet
Old 06-11-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

No thanks... to

I don't drink... to...

Because I don't...

And it generally doesn't go past that. If it does I might say because I'm very health conscious (which I am), and I don't drink. Anyone who would push past that is a complete ass, and I wouldn't even acknowledge them.

I firmly believe that the amount people insist upon us drinking has all to do with the conviction behind our "no". I've no shame, no uncomfortability, no reservation, not even an inkling of fear or nervousness behind my saying no to a drink offer. I'm not doing it and there's no question about it. I believe that translates in my response. I believe even the slightest hesitation or look of uncomfortability translates also... And people respond with a, "Come on!!... One drink won't hurt!" Kind of attitude. It will. But that's my business, not theirs.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Ethos23 View Post
I feel that this part of my life is private. No need to go out and broadcast it. I have found it hard enough to seek help, and to talk with those closest to me about this.
I agree. There is no way I would tell anyone in my work life that I am an alcoholic. I don't need to announce it to everybody I meet.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Seems to be unanimous; bad advice. Sounds to me like that therapist doesn't know much about treating addiction but I wasn't there to hear what was said before that.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I think you are being forthright enough....no need to bare your soul, you don't see people at parties saying

Hi I'm a ****
Hi I am sleeping with my friends wife
Hi I just popped four percs
Hi I am going to talk about you later
Hi I am bankrupt

All of the above, no ones business.....you have every right to keep yours your own. Even though the above conversations would make for livelier events! Haha!
Old 06-11-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cahabr View Post
At social events, I just tell people I'm taking a break from alcohol. It hasn't been a problem so far.
This is what I've done in the past if pressed and plan on doing in the future. Worked then, I'm sure it will going forward. Otherwise I just say "no thanks". Never an issue.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EJ43 View Post
I think you are being forthright enough....no need to bare your soul, you don't see people at parties saying

Hi I'm a ****
Hi I am sleeping with my friends wife
Hi I just popped four percs
Hi I am going to talk about you later
Hi I am bankrupt

All of the above, no ones business.....you have every right to keep yours your own. Even though the above conversations would make for livelier events! Haha!
HAA HAA That cracked me up. Thanks!!
Old 06-11-2014, 10:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I'm pretty open about being a sober alcoholic in recovery. I have no shame in that. My shame comes when I'm drinking. That's when I have to hide a secret. I've told a couple of coworkers that I'm a sober alcoholic. It came up in the very first friggin conversation I had at my new job. I was in the grooming salon for literally no more than 10 minutes when one of the girls mentioned that she was considering a roommate but was worried about the girl's reckless drinking behavior. I told her I was a sober recovering alcoholic and asked if she'd like me to share my experience and insight. She was receptive and I didn't feel like less of a person. In fact, I felt like my experiences could benefit her and maybe her friend, so I got that going for me.

If the subject of drinking comes up, I just say that I don't drink. If someone asks why, I reply that I'm allergic to alcohol. If I drink it, I break out in bad decisions.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

you don't have to explain to anyone why you don't drink, and the most effective answer is... 'I'm not drinking today'
Old 06-11-2014, 11:38 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I would be wary of that therapist. That's terrible advice.