Notices

All or nothing... what are you like with other things?

Old 06-11-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Interesting! I wrote the post after eating a share bag of wine gums (erm, not sure if you have those in US; I can assure you they don't contain wine!!) I've tried putting the bag in my desk drawer but I can just hear them calling me and feel uncomfortable that they are half finished!! And even tho I am full and did not need to finish the bag, I feel kind of better knowing the bag is empty and they are all gone. Like scratching an itch! Just reminded me so much of how I feel about a bottle of opened wine, or when I know I have reached 'comfortably tipsy' with vodka but then push it another 2-3 doubles afterwards anyway for good measure, and tip it that bit too far. So pointless and greedy! I just see parallels with this new journey into alcohol abstinence with when I have been in the zone dieting too. I CAN do it but it's certainly a lot of conscious effort and discipline! I'm not sure I have a MAJOR problem with either but I certainly feel my personality pushes me that bit too far and makes me pretty 'enthusiastic' about stuff.

In life I don't think it's always a bad trait - I'm really happy with where I have got to and the opportunities I've taken advantage of because of it. Yeesh nobody warns you that early sobriety can make you so introspective!! Need to stop analysing myself!

In other news, Day 11 complete, woot woot!
Old 06-11-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

congrats!

I totally relate with this feeling. The only way to be good at dieting in my opinion is to make it hard to cheat. If you don't have crap food around you generally won't binge on it unless you have a problem with eating. I'd walking 10 miles for a beer but I wouldn't for a burger and fries. However if it's in my house it's going to be eaten, no doubt about it.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
funny - I was talking to my BF about this not long ago. He noticed with me, it's a character trait I have that meshes with almost anything I do. There is no "middle" ground for me, whether it's drinking, cleaning, reading, dieting, exercising....I go full on or don't even bother. I need to find a happy balance between the 2, that's something I'm going to focus on. I need to learn patience (heh, don't we all) and the ability to slow down and enjoy and appreciate things.
I'm like a mad woman when I start something...reading, god I think I have like 5 books on the go. WHY? lol...pick one and focus on it for gods sake!!!

so yes, it makes sense
I could have written this post word for word! My bf and I have this conversation regularly. My parents get on my case about it too, that I'm so "all or nothing," or black and white with no shades of gray, or I do everything to the extreme... I have no sense of balance or happy mediums in any area of my life. One of my Pop's favorite phrases is "everything in moderation." I suck at moderation lol