Notices

I admit!

Old 06-11-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation I admit!

Hello, this is london crying... Have been lurking on this site for 2 weeks whilst sober- brilliant advice but my evil other kept saying you are not that bad and you can moderate.... I am a binge drinker- I only do it for one night and in the evenings but it is ruining my life... Have been a hermit for 3 weeks then decided to go to a university reunion and could I moderate- NO! Waiting to talk to hubby as I do Not remember how I got home... I CANT drink normally - fact. So this is my day 1- thank you for listening... V
Old 06-11-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and you've made a good decision.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Having lurked for several weeks and reading lots of posts (I assume) where recovery methods are discussed, have you a plan for what you are going to do to maintain sobriety?
Old 06-11-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Carl, firstly I am not going to drink- 7 days is not a problem- it is when I am feeling good I think I will be ok... By posting I am hoping it will make me more accountable instead of my secret.. Am on Prozac and doctor just upped the dose and will probably go back to therapy... Was considering going to an aa meeting even though I don't like the ethos- when I went in the passed it was like swapping one addiction for another.. But nothing else seems to be working so I have to do things differently... I suspect I will have to become a hermit again as I find social situations hard and use alcohol as a crutch... It is so weird, I have a good life so why is it so hard- why can,t I enjoy it?
Old 06-11-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, V.

You are gonna find lots of help here

glad you joined us.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! you'll find loads of support here!!
Old 06-11-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 06-11-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Chance2 View Post
Hi Carl, firstly I am not going to drink- 7 days is not a problem- it is when I am feeling good I think I will be ok... By posting I am hoping it will make me more accountable instead of my secret.. Am on Prozac and doctor just upped the dose and will probably go back to therapy... Was considering going to an aa meeting even though I don't like the ethos- when I went in the passed it was like swapping one addiction for another.. But nothing else seems to be working so I have to do things differently... I suspect I will have to become a hermit again as I find social situations hard and use alcohol as a crutch... It is so weird, I have a good life so why is it so hard- why can,t I enjoy it?
Hi Chance, of course you feel ashamed and regretful now, but the crunch time is when you're over this binge. You will have a voice (AV) in your head telling you that you're not that bad, you don't have a big problem compared to others, it's not like you're an alcoholic and many other convincing arguments. That's when you need to hold on to your reasons for wanting to quit, because it's hard to resist the voice when you're healthy.
There are lots of people on this site who have kept up a social veneer, held onto good jobs, own their homes, and generally function in society well, but have no doubts they are alcoholics. I'm one of them.
I'm not an AA person, but it's worked well for many others. I spoke frankly to my doctor (there's always a temptation to downplay it) and got some moral support. I also read as much as I could on the internet, on reputable sites, as well as buying a couple of Amazon books.
Best wishes on quitting; hold onto the reasons why you needed to.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Chance
You'll find a lot of support and understanding here

D