Notices

Coworker got his 2nd DUI

Old 06-11-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coworker got his 2nd DUI

Man, but for the grace of God go I. A guy that I work with just got his second DUI last weekend. He's young and overall a good guy but obviously clueless. His first DUI came two or three years ago...you would hope one would be enough. But NOPE! Had to go out and get another one.

Like many of us he has many drinking stories, including one where he got so drunk that while coming back home he wound up in another state!

Worst thing is he told me that he wished he could just go to court right away so he could find out how long it will be before he can drink again! Seems he has some big events coming up this summer and wants be get the legal stuff out of the way so he can get drunk at them.

I like the guy but I hope he doesn't get his license back for a good long time.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I saw something funny on Reddit a few days ago. Something like people walk X miles a year and drink 22 gallons of beer so they end up getting around 40something miles to the gallon. Someone posted in /r/stopdrinking that if you set 22 gallons of beer in front of them and said that's all you get for a year, they'd be freaking out! I laughed because that's right in line with my thinking!

Our priorities sure to change in sobriety. I remember wondering how I was going to do anything sober. Parties, outings, dinners....uh, grilling, cooking, going to the store, waking up, going to bed....now, I can't imagine how I'd ever be able to function with even one drink. It just derails me! Sobriety is the simple choice for me now. Actually, it feels like less and less of a choice every day. It's just what I do.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

as someone who is going through this, I'm grateful and thankful that the last thing on my mind is drinking. ever again.
I hope he doesn't get his license back anytime soon as well.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've gone through that.....

hope this guy wakes up faster than I did.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

when i hear these stories with people taking the person to task i have to think that pretty much everybody here has driven over the limit countless times
Old 06-11-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

having had two DUIs and 'lucked out' of a third..... I frequently used exactly that thought as part of my rationale.

"EVERYONE has driven over the limit.... I just got unlucky.... I don't have a problem.... my only problem is I got caught...."

I didn't think that consciously. But looking back from a place of sobriety and growth I can see that my AV's quiet reassurance was using precisely what you said as a way to help me keep right on drinking.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thats his legal problems though..not for me to judge especially when ive done the same myself. i wouldn't wish him the worst penalty. I wouldn't call him irresponsible or stupid. I saw this guy give a lecture on how another guy shouldn't drink at a wedding at all because he's driving home...a month later that same guy giveing the lecture got 2 duis in a week.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yeah I'm not condoning hypocrisy. just sharing my own experience of how we who struggle with addiction can be pretty damn prone to it.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for all the addicts who are still suffering.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
when i hear these stories with people taking the person to task i have to think that pretty much everybody here has driven over the limit countless times
Exactly this as I have done it many times and I don't like to admit it.I hope he see'a he might have a problem and sorts himself out.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Django View Post
Exactly this as I have done it many times and I don't like to admit it.I hope he see'a he might have a problem and sorts himself out.
which is why I said I hope they do take his license away for a bit. Hopefully it will give him time to gain some clarity of the severity of the situation. I could have seriously injured (or killed) someone else or myself. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank god that it didn't come to that. And that I thank god that I AM taking this seriously. I really hope he sees the light. B/C some things you just can't take back and I would hate anyone to have to live with that on their conscious. I know, I couldn't.
*sending him, whomever he is, positive vibes*
Old 06-11-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
which is why I said I hope they do take his license away for a bit. Hopefully it will give him time to gain some clarity of the severity of the situation. I could have seriously injured (or killed) someone else or myself. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank god that it didn't come to that. And that I thank god that I AM taking this seriously. I really hope he sees the light. B/C some things you just can't take back and I would hate anyone to have to live with that on their conscious. I know, I couldn't.
*sending him, whomever he is, positive vibes*
Wasn't meaning for you to take it the wrong way and you say it better than me :-)
Old 06-11-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

lol oh no - I just re-read my original post and didn't want it to come off in the wrong way
I just hope he sees the light and that there is no turning back if there is injury/death involved...a DUI (or 2 even) you CAN deal with and turn into a positive...