Notices

advice for not drinking in a social setting

Old 06-10-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I can't remember anyone asking me why I was not drinking. This is just not a normal question/concern
If someone approaches you and ask you if you'd like something to drink, just answer:
Sure a diet coke/ orange juice (or whatever non alcoholic drink you like) would be lovely.
If someone has the nerves to ask you why you are not drinking just say nicely:
I don't drink.
If they are rude enough to try to push and ask you why, then tell them:
This is really none of your business.
They will then move on and leave you alone and yes it is a rude answer but this is what happens when people get nosy and push boundaries LOL
Old 06-10-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

There are still things I won't do, and I have been sober a good while.

I always have an exit strategy, so, if I become uncomfortable, I leave and go home or to a meeting.

I have had to simply take a pass on certain situations, particularly when I was in early recovery.

Today, social occasions don't bother me and I will sometimes tell the waiter that he or she really doesn't want to give me any liquor.

I have told clients of mine that I gave up drinking a long time ago.

Most people know exactly what I'm talking about.

Sometimes I simply tell people that I'm a recovering alcoholic.

Take care of yourself, amigo.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
MDL

Originally Posted by Climber122 View Post
Isn't it interesting that you probably wouldn't be as concerned if you were a vegetarian and you refused a steak? It's our addiction that makes this an "important" thing for us - to healthy, non-alcoholic drinkers they could care less what you drink. We are the ones that put this drug up on a pedestal as more important to our lives than it is. The only people who ever pressured me to drink when I got sober were casual "friends" who were themselves alcoholics and in need of someone to use with. .
This is so true.

Its almost as if they feel uncomfortable b/c they lost a drinking buddy, and it kind of indirectly makes them reflect on their own drinking habits.
(I know this b/c unfortunately I used to be kind of one of those guys who always was trying to buy someone a drink who didn't have one in hand. It made me feel more secure at the time..)

@Tinzo

Anyway, most of the good suggestions have been made.

If worst comes to worst as an emergency say you aren't feeling well and need to leave ( as a last ditch emergency plan).. That at least gets you through the nigh and away from the situation...
Personally depending on the crowd and how drunk they are acting, I usually plan on sticking around an hour or so. And I go early when everyone is still sober.

Then you can possibly explain later or elaborate. Best of luck. It does get easier overtime but it is an adjustment...
Old 06-10-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I wonder if a big part of this issue isn't the fact that non-drinkers made US uncomfortable....

I know that's true for me. I recall several vivid moments along the course of my path where the presence of someone saying "no thanks, I don't drink" made me feel distinctly exposed. I didn't really like being around people who "don't drink". At the time I didn't really pay it any heed or push them but from the vantage point of sobriety and having owned up to my unhealthy patterns with alcohol I can look back and see those moments as uncomfortable because they called into the light my own glaring issues.