Notices

Another introduction...

Old 06-10-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another introduction...

Hi

By way of introduction, I'm a newbie to the site though not to many of the topics being discussed here.

I've been a drinker for most of my adult life - frankly since my late teens – I’m now in my late 40s. Through most of this time I've been married, raised kids, and been gainfully employed. My parents and their families drank quite a bit. My father was a confirmed alcoholic. My wife was also a heavy drinker.

This changed a couple of years ago due to unrelated (perhaps) health and family issues. I unknowingly suffered from sleep apnea and started to doze off whenever I sat for more than a few minutes (home and work). It created all sorts of issues. At about the same time, my wife decided to get sober. A lot of our connection was related to drinking. When she stopped, we lost that. She focused on AA. I built up to a bottle (700ml) a day of hard liquor. We’re still together, but it hasn’t been smooth sailing.

I've tried to stop a couple of times in the last years. I've been sober now for 3 and a half months.

Overall, I enjoy the respite from drinking. I've lost weight. Have much more coherent time. Sleep – real sleep. No hangovers. However, I definitely still have cravings and feel “blah” more days than not. I’m struggling to find a replacement for the time I spent drinking. It’s also not easy to accept that sobriety is a long term state versus something I’m going to do for awhile to “get healthy” and then go back to “social” drinking. I know that’s a bad perspective, but its what goes through my mind.

My main questions are – How long do the cravings last? When does the cloud lift from your brain? Do you ever really stop wanting alcohol? How do you deal with the time now spent not drinking? Its like learning to be a human being again… When do you stop craving raw sugar?!

I know a lot of these have been discussed throughout the posts here. I’ll keep reading; looking for inspiration. Then again, comments welcome…
Old 06-10-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Halitosis , i assume you've suffered bad breath whilst drinking , lol
Anyhow , i like the name :-)

I'm almost a year sober and still have unbelievable sugar cravings , I'm trying to reel it in and i justify it by saying to myself that it's better than drinking ! But that's debatable .

Cravings vary for each person , there is no given time . Mine disappeared around the 7 month mark altogether .

It's taken me a loooong time to start feeling well .

They say it takes about a year to fully feel well again and for your brain to return to normal , I'd have to agree with that .

Meantime ...do lots and lots of reading here , there is so much information on this site . Most all of your questions will be answered somewhere .

Glad you posted and keep posting

Good luck ;-)