Notices

Fresh Start

Old 06-10-2014, 01:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fresh Start

After being able to almost control my Drinking for a couple of months. My drinking has taken a turn for the worst again. My Girl Friend of 2 years broke up with me a couple of months ago and with that my drinking has become out of control.

I manage to stay sober during the week, but in the weekend can consume anywhere between 40-60 drinks. I really want to get back into healthy eating, exercising and social patterns. I know the one big thing that is holding me back is the drink.

I am going to set a goal not to drink until August (my birthday). I know I should be saying indeffinately. But a more short term goal seems a lot more achievable for a start.

Hope to find support on here to get me through.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Cairns

I hope you can draw some lessons from your experience. For me, moderation simply doesn't work ! Have you thought about a recovery plan, AA or other step programs ? Its an old adage but is indisputable: nothing changes if nothing changes. One really needs to make notable changes in habits and lifestyle if one expects a change. Also, rather than set yourself up with a sobriety date, just take it one day at a time. By this I mean, live in the present and slowly work a sober recovery plan. My concern is if you think that August is your end date, then you will simply white knuckle sobriety and not actually recovery. That is the dry drunk phenomena. Stay close and read up on SR, there is a tonne of support here for you !
Old 06-10-2014, 02:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Cairns

A lot of people mistake abstinence for control...and when alcohol is reintroduced into their lives they find that nothings actually changed at all...

I hope you do relook at it in August - you've proven you can go a few months. Now you need to work on the 'for good' bit, I think?

D
Old 06-10-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I could never moderate - had to knock it on the head completely in the end xxx