Notices

New to this site...dont know what to expect!

Old 06-09-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post New to this site...dont know what to expect!

Hi everyone.

Not too sure how to start this off. I am a 23-year-old female trying to get my drinking under control. I can never have just one or two, and I've found myself drinking alone a few times a week. I've read a few posts on this before through searching on google and figured I would give this a try.

I am not currently sober, although I did go 10 days with no alcohol about a month ago. Does anyone have any advice on navigating this site...or anyone else in a similar situation. I find it rather embarrassing being a 23-year-old with a lot going for myself, yet I am letting alcohol control me, and my friends and family have noticed how much alcohol has a hold of me.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Nothing to be stressed about. Folks here are supportive and respectful.

You are a lot smarter than me at 23. Took me another 17 years to finally get sober.

Other than SR, have you considered other options? There is AA, Smart recovery, AVRT, urge surfing techniques. Etc.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Thepatman,

Thanks for replying! I have been to AADAC before, and I do have a substance abuse counsellor, although I don't see her too often since her hours conflict with my work schedule. I am supposed to see her on Wednesday. Last time I saw her we agreed on me not drinking for 2 weeks. And that sure did not pan out...I haven't had even 3 days of not drinking since we last talked

What is urge surfing techniques?
Old 06-09-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us and I hope our support can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

http://www.mindfulness.org.au/urge-s...se-prevention/

See there, it's about observing the urge of drinking externally. Like watching the emotion and recognizing it.

You can be honest with your counselor. We tend to hide in shame unnecessarily.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My link dosent appear to work, sorry, google urge surfing, first link I think.

On my Iphone, not really great for web surfing ;-(
Old 06-09-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I fixed it for you Pat

Welcome to SR timeforchange78 - best advice I can give you is post as much as you need or want to

check out our Class of June support thread too:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2014-a-17.html

D
Old 06-09-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! There are a lot of young people (myself included, I'm 26) on SR looking for support. You are doing a great thing by getting a hold on it now instead of later!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, that actually is a great link Thepatman. The biggest problem I have is when I get hungry, no food in my stomach, I drink. I feel stupid saying that, but its the truth. because I get the best buzz. and I'm sure its ruining my stomach
Old 06-09-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome timeforchange! It's great to meet you. You're in good company - we all know what you're going through.

I agree with Thepatman - wish I'd admitted I needed to quit at a younger age. You'll be avoiding so much misery by taking action now.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you Heyvn, it's a struggle. Wish that buzz wasn't so addictive
Old 06-09-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I started realizing I had a problem at 26. I'm now 27... I WISH I didn't let the fact I graduated college and was living a 'great' life and 'had a lot going on for me' blind me from the fact I DID have a problem.

It's no easy road. Especially for us younger folk... But despite all the mistakes I've made over the last year I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OverTheUnder View Post
I started realizing I had a problem at 26. I'm now 27... I WISH I didn't let the fact I graduated college and was living a 'great' life and 'had a lot going on for me' blind me from the fact I DID have a problem.

It's no easy road. Especially for us younger folk... But despite all the mistakes I've made over the last year I wouldn't trade it for anything.
I realized at 23 and kept at it for another decade. Hid behind same reasoning, doing well professionally, making good money, etc. The lies we tell ourselves to justify unjustifiable alcohol abuse....
Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! You are in the right place! I wish I would have realized I had a problem when I was only 23.

Unfortunately...you have 3 choices if you are alcoholic & continue to drink:

1. Covered up
2. Locked up
3. Sobered up

I've seen so much death & destruction from alcohol. I pray you get off the elevator before it gets all the way to the bottom. I know a girl who got hepatitis C & had liver failure from drinking at the age of 21. Good luck! I'm glad you are here! You can do it!!! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery