SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What are the Rules?? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/334803-what-rules.html)

Indio2008 06-09-2014 04:23 PM

What are the Rules??

Can I still just drink one 24ounce beer or drink half a margarita and say Im still in recovery??? It was a social setting, but I didnt go crazy afterwards, but alittle bit of me wanted to binge drink...

Anna 06-09-2014 04:25 PM

No.

Being in recovery as an alcoholic, means no alcohol.

hokey 06-09-2014 04:29 PM

Hi Indio :)

I think you can define it any way you want ... it is your recovery after all. For me, one drink would be a relapse, because it's never, ever just one drink for me. My recovery is no alcohol, none whatsoever. But that's how I define my recovery.

Dee74 06-09-2014 04:37 PM

You can do whatever you want....

but for me when I look back at the incalculable damage alcohol did to me, my health, and those who loved me...me drinking again - no matter the amount and no matter if I got drunk or not - is not a win.

D

Thepatman 06-09-2014 04:46 PM

No rules about this on SR.

But if you are like me, controlling my drinking one night meant I could get plastered another night because I was ok with Alcohol.

I don't have an off switch, once I got going The train only stopped when my body and health would start failing. Get better, wash and repeat.

I called it binge and purge, a la Metallica song type thing.

Aarryckha 06-09-2014 05:19 PM

It is your recovery however..

Originally Posted by Indio2008 (Post 4706520)
but alittle bit of me wanted to binge drink...

This is what you should be aware of and maybe give you something to think on while pondering if you should have "just one."

airwick 06-09-2014 05:44 PM

[QUOTE=Indio2008;4706520]Can I still just drink one 24ounce beer or drink half a margarita and say Im still in recovery??? It was a social setting, but I didnt go crazy afterwards, but alittle bit of me wanted to binge drink...[/QUOTEi]

I don't like fruit, but I eat raisins

I don't eat dairy, but I enjoy ice-cream

I'm not his friend, but we sometimes hang-out

I go to church, but I don't practice the faith

I enjoy the snow, as long as I'm inside

I like dogs, but I hate pit-bulls

I'm not prejudice, but I wouldn't marry a white man

One contradicts the other.

Guess what my answer is to your question :)

Serenidad 06-09-2014 07:41 PM

No. Drinking even a drop of alcohol is considered a relapse for an alcoholic. Be careful. You could be playing with fire. :-/

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery

FeenixxRising 06-09-2014 08:57 PM

Well there is no such thing as the recovery police. :) But recovery almost always means complete abstinence from alcohol and drugs, not moderation.

freshstart57 06-09-2014 09:01 PM

Do you have a plan to stop using alcohol? The answer to your question is right there.

afloatsober 06-09-2014 10:15 PM

To thine own self be true.
Truth for me is in recovery and abstinent.
And i know from experience that if i take just one, i am giving myself permission to commit suicide again....
G

Nuudawn 06-09-2014 10:39 PM

but alittle bit of me wanted to binge drink...

That's the thing about alcohol and rules...
Mine seem to fly out the window when that booze buzz starts..
Then it could very well be ...WAHOOO...it's party time!
No matter what time I work the next day..
What responsibilities I have...
The type of social setting I'm in..
The car keys in my purse and how I'm getting home.

I just never know...if it's one drink...or a trough.

DisplacedGRITS 06-09-2014 10:47 PM

There is a general consensus that to be sober is to not use alcohol or mind altering drugs for pleasure or not as prescribed. There's debate in there regarding pain medication and medication for mental health issues but I think the basic premise is no booze, no drugs.

I wouldn't go around telling people that you're sober. Say, I'm a light drinker. Hell, call yourself a normie if you want. But if you're an alcoholic and you're drinking, you are not what most people would consider sober or in recovery.

The rules are what you're willing to live with. Don't worry about us judging you. We just know what works for us and what seems to work for the majority of us here. If you can moderate and live with that, good for you! Me, I cannot both control and enjoy my drinking. I don't like attempts at moderation because it makes me angry that I'm "not allowed" to drink as I prefer to.

not2late 06-09-2014 11:36 PM

Just a question. What does the one 24 or half a margurita do for you? I drank to get drunk. Its dangerous. I know and I've been there. Still fighting and getting back up. I'm determined to win not just a round but the fight. Please give it up completely. It takes away the guesswork.

KateL 06-10-2014 02:29 AM

I couldn't do it without getting into trouble xxx

LBrain 06-10-2014 04:18 AM

Don't know what make me think of this - I do use analogies.

It's like being a virgin. You either are or you aren't. You can engage in risky behaviors that will lead to losing your virginity - assuming you want to keep it. Same goes with sobriety.

You can only be a virgin one time, you can never get it back. But sobriety you can.
Or can you? Why risk it?

Jupiters 06-10-2014 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Thepatman (Post 4706550)

But if you are like me, controlling my drinking one night meant I could get plastered another night because I was ok with Alcohol.

I think this is why it took me years to finally admit I was what I am. As a binge drinker I could always justify it...."well, I WAS able to moderate last weekend, so I am sure I can do that again"

or "so what if I get plastered, I controlled it for months, so big deal...everyone's allowed to get drunk now and then"

LMAO. NO. not for me. The risks and consequences WAY outnumbered the benefits. Especially at the end.
Recovery for me, means stay the hell away from that first drink. PERIOD.

Hawkeye13 06-10-2014 05:29 AM

Yes--I could moderate or even not drink for many weeks at a time.

But then, when I planned to moderate, something would happen and I wouldn't stop.

I've heard it expressed here as not being able to drink "safely"

That is, to know I can stop without any problem every time.

I can't do that so I don't do it at all.

instant 06-10-2014 05:46 AM

Can I still just drink one 24ounce beer or drink half a margarita and say Im still in recovery??? ...

You can.

But i would not agree with you.

After years of attempting control and moderation i fpund the only way to feel free was abstinence.