Notices

Please tell me it gets easier?

Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please tell me it gets easier?

I am 7 days sober from alcohol. The absolute longest days of my life! Please tell me it will get easier? Mood swings like crazy, crying, irritable, anxious, happy, ect!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, Hereandnow2, it does get easier. Stay in the moment and take it a day or hour at a time. You are doing the hard work right now. It will pay off!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on a week hereandnow. I am on day 18 and I can sleep at night and feel much better. I am getting used to feeling my feelings which is the hardest part for me. I have to take a step back and just accept them for what they are and allow them to happen. I post alot when I feel like that and it really helps.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome hereandnow.

All the things you mentioned are normal, with emotions all over the place. It definitely all calms down as you get more sober time behind you. Thankfully we never have to return to that awful place. Once it's over you can begin focusing on your new life - you'll be free.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome hereandnow. Yes, it will get better with time. Early days can be quite hard but each day you get through makes you stronger.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One of the best things about recovery is that yes, it really REALLY does get easier.

I was reading this site last night, and I thought, wow, I didnt even think about alcohol all weekend.

Previously, that would have been unimaginable.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

from out here at 163 days - where at one time I was deeply doubtful I'd ever make it - I can affirm that yes; it does get easier.

Hang in there, keep it up.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It really does get easier.The first week is rough but it does get better. You will get through this and if you don't drink you never need go through this again.Many congrats on 1 week
Old 06-09-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

iT DOES GET EASIER ! I felt the same way about time....it felt as if time had almost stopped. This is one of the reasons why it is so hard to stop drinking. The slow time, the insomnia, and the anxiety. Hang in there and you will see how it gets better. You are doing great!
Old 06-09-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, congrats on your first sober week!

Yes, it absolutely gets easier with time. I'm only ~4.5 months in; some days can be hard when I have cravings, but more and more often the difference is incredible. I also find it increasingly easier to work on my recovery because 1) I'm getting more and more familiar with the approaches, and 2) the successes reinforce the process and my motivation.

For me all these changes are actually exciting, and I am enjoying the challenges now.

I would suggest that you get deeply into the actual recovery work now that your detox is over - so many interesting new things to try!

Good luck
Old 06-09-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Hereandnow2 View Post
I am 7 days sober from alcohol.
Take a moment to realize how wonderful that is. Sober a week! Hard won, but worth it. And you never have to go through this again if you don't drink.

Well done on your first sober week.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I came across a pic I have of an old fortune cookie message this morning. It's message was simply..

"Don't give up. The beginning is always the hardest part".
Old 06-09-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, it gets easier and better but you have to stay sober.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

it unanimous! soon you'll look back and be thankful - and wonder why you waited so long to do it.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

YES, yes it definitely gets easier. Those feelings subside and you start to feel good both physically and emotionally. They do, however return. Don't, however think that those feelings are gone for good. They sneak up on you from time to time, but you will notice that your feelings get more stable over time and you feel much better for longer and longer periods. Hang in there. I am on my sixth month of recovery and wouldn't trade it for anything (ups and downs included).
Old 06-09-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much, you have all really helped me!
Old 06-09-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 7 days. It does get easier for sure. I look at it like a journey. You have to get to the top of the hill. The hard part. Then it levels off, way easier, and the only way you go down hill is to drink again. If you drink again, it is back uphill for a while. So not worth it. You are doing great!! Hang in there, we are all here for you.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It gets easier.

I can't tell you when, but I wouldn't be here sober if living day to day didn't get easier and much, much better.

Please don't drink anymore, stick around here and work whatever recovery program you decide to pursue.