Notices

the anonymous people

Old 06-08-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the anonymous people

Caught a documentary on Netflix tonight. Look for it. Good message.

The Anonymous People
Old 06-09-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been wanting to watch this and was glad to hear it is on Netflix now
Old 06-09-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober and lovin' it

What's it about?
Old 06-09-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I liked it
Old 06-09-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoAlcohol View Post
What's it about?
The Anonymous People (2013) - IMDb

scroll down and read the reviews
Old 06-09-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Brain - I really enjoyed watching that as well. Without giving anything away, I will say that it was pretty awesome to put this whole personal effort into public, shared perspective, huh?. Kind of like a bigger visual SR

Do you have any more docs/non-fiction to recommend?

Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I watched it yesterday. Really good.

LTV, I really liked G-DOG too. It's not entirely about addiction, but it is a great documentary that gives me hope for humans.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I watched this and thought it was pretty good. Basically found out about it from this forum. I don't even usually like documentaries. I mean, I do sometimes, but not always. This was a good one and relevant.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

2 thumbs up!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i cant say enough about this documentary. my wife watched it with me, and thought the same. its message is that stigma is the major obstacle in fighting this plague. although millions suffer, and millions recover, the public's general perception is lacking. most folks know the horrid dramatic side but just dont get recovery.

this has influenced policy, which has influenced the law, penal system and healthcare system. the idea is that recovered folks may have a responsibility to their community, and those still suffering. they should speak out about truth and possibility. and publicly demand a change in the way we, as a society, approach this epidemic healthcare problem.

im on board. i had a hand in developing my disease, yes. but that does not make me a throw away. it does not make US disposable.

we have fellow citizens, lawmakers, and profiteers who would rather see us just die, or lock us up for life than admit we can manage this and be productive members of society.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Thank you for letting me know it is on netflix! I will watch it this weekend!
Old 06-09-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah, well done. I wish I'd done the same thing as the filmmaker when I had a wake up call at age 18. Instead, I rode out the consequences (forced rehab and finishing high school while essentially being home schooled) and then got to college where it was like a license to drink. Now I'm 28 and trying to get sober. Fortunately, I've never had a DUI (probably because I've lived in NYC, where that's not an issue), but I've woken up in hospitals twice and jail twice. Somehow, I was once just let out of jail when I woke up and the other time, I nervously waited for hours while hungover as **** to figure out why I even got locked up, and got off with one day of community service and a $120 fine for public urination.

Really at no step along the way have I ever felt like I should admit I have a problem. Shamefully, the two times I got out of the hospital, I drank that night.

Well, on Day 8 now and no real desire to drink. The thought of being in recovery for 50+ years! assuming I make it that long, is just scary right now. Doesn't seem possible.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Awesome film. I loved it. Check out Faces and Voices of Recovery on line. It is an organization dedicated to building a recovery movement, as advocated in the film.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Why does recovery have to be anon?

I've added this film to my que as well. As I head into recovery, starting tomorrow, actually, with formal outpatient beginning, one of the biggest gripes I have had in my head is why there is such a stigma about alcoholism. If I went to my employer and said I had a hereditary disease or cancer that required me to miss work three hours a week for treatment, there would be no questions asked. If I tell my employer I am starting outpatient treatment for alcoholism and need to miss work three hours a week for counseling and treatment, a note will go in my file, I will be watched with an eagle eye, and perhaps fired for the smallest transgression. Alcoholism is a sickness, at least it is for me. I want to get better, but the social stigma is a huge obstacle to overcome.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I watched it yesterday. Really good.

LTV, I really liked G-DOG too. It's not entirely about addiction, but it is a great documentary that gives me hope for humans.
Thanks BB! I'm going to search for, and try to watch it tonight. The website is so heartening and I'm thrilled to have your recommendation.

Liverbug - fingers crossed for your outpatient recovery program tomorrow. Please keep us in the loop.

Hope everyone is having a relatively peaceful night.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting about this documentary. I've never heard of it but I will definitely be watching it this week sometime. Thanks!!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Brain-thanks for this post. Watched it last night. Amazing. I am considering taking on this cause in the same manner thanks to this movie--maybe even organizing something similar to Komen's work. Fantastic. Excited!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I found this movie very inspiring and powerful. The stigma surrounding addiction means that people are dying everyday because of a shaming public perception. I think that treatment for addiction should be available immediately for anyone who requests it, and currently it is not. The take home message for me was that as people who have received the gift of recovery we have a responsibility to help make it more available to those still suffering. A beautiful film, highly recommended!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We can't get it on English netflix boo xx
Old 06-10-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Canadian Netflix either. Balls.