SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 26 - I want to drink (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/334697-day-26-i-want-drink.html)

Mirage74 06-08-2014 07:39 PM

Day 26 - I want to drink

I'm just telling on myself. I've got so much crap going around in my head I just can't get any relief.

Johnsonsober22 06-08-2014 07:56 PM

Try to work out, it releases endorphin, ( the natural "feel good" hormone in your body.... It's keeps your brain from thinking of drinking and all anger and frustration will go away.... Try it, it really works...... Don't drink, it's not worth going backwards......

gvrecovery 06-08-2014 07:57 PM

The stuff just keeps going round and round in my head too sometimes, one thing I know for sure is that drinking only makes it worse.

Dee74 06-08-2014 07:57 PM

Drinking won't bring relief - not really. The best it can do is push some of the stuff to one side, and then not for long....and it brings a whole other level of problems with it.

Drinking won't help you find solutions, but not drinking just might :)

Do you still have AA contacts to call?

D

Mirage74 06-08-2014 08:05 PM

I've just got a big personal problem. I feel like I'm at war just to quit drinking. And it's not with alcohol. If I just drank, everything would go away. I'm in a 3/4 house, so I can't drink. Doesn't mean I'm not miserable though.

Dee74 06-08-2014 08:10 PM

If I just drank, everything would go away.
the symptoms of your problem may - for a little while...if you're lucky. But drinking brings with it so much more trouble you might find it magnifies whatever your trouble is.

There's a healthy positive solution for just about every problem we face - but most of them aren't instant solutions.

Try and think of long term solutions mirage74. The sooner you do that the sooner you'll get to grips with things.

D

Mirage74 06-08-2014 08:14 PM

I've got people who don't want me to recover. They are doing everything in their power to prevent it. I may as well oblige them and drink, I think is what I'm trying to say. I'm not going to, but..

Battling alcohol addiction is hard enough. But battling people who want you to fail too? Almost too much to bear

Dee74 06-08-2014 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mirage74 (Post 4704749)
I've got people who don't want me to recover. They are doing everything in their power to prevent it. I may as well oblige them and drink, I think is what I'm trying to say. I'm not going to, but..

Battling alcohol addiction is hard enough. But battling people who want you to fail too? Almost too much to bear

or...you can do what I did and detach from those people?

D

Mirage74 06-08-2014 08:27 PM

Detaching I don't think is the answer. Something more drastic needs to happen.

ScottFromWI 06-08-2014 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mirage74 (Post 4704765)

Boundaries are important. Sometimes that means you end relationships...it's a necessary step if the relationship itself compromises your sobriety.

Nuudawn 06-08-2014 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mirage74 (Post 4704765)

Now don't be killing anybody....

You own your sobriety..it's all yours. And nobody can take it from you..but you. The whole "might as well drink thing" due to them...is pure addiction talking. I'm sure you know that. AV is looking for excuses..

26 days is fantastic. Hang in there.

Croissant 06-08-2014 09:00 PM

Hi Mirage...imagine how humiliated you would feel if they were proven right.

Secondly....and this is the hard part...part of staying sober is getting through struggles EXACTLY like this. It's mentally fatiguing at times - but guess what? It's getting through times like this that strengthen our resolve.

In order to break your cycle of addiction, the cycle of dysfunction in your family, you have to find ways to get through the tough times. You can do it. It really is possible. Go outside, take a long walk and give yourself a big emotional hug and protect yourself from this. You deserve it.

Dee74 06-08-2014 09:55 PM

I'm not sure whats more drastic than detachment but detachment works Mirage74 :)

I tried it with my own family - it's wasn't easy - they used every bit of emotional blackmail in the book, but I stood firm cos I knew what was good for me.

D

Mirage74 06-08-2014 10:08 PM

Actually got a chuckle out of that Dee.

I guess there's more to detachment than I realize. Yea, they are using every trick to prevent it. Sets me off

Jeni26 06-08-2014 10:24 PM

You're doing great Mirage. I had heaps of people who wanted me to go back to drinking too (and some still do even after 2 years!).

The longer you are sober, the easier it is to resist. As for family, yes I had to detach too in the beginning. People don't like it, somehow it makes them question their own drinking sometimes, but it's so worth it.

Hang in there :)

Dee74 06-08-2014 10:26 PM

I lent a lot of my adopted family - all my friends and loved ones Mirage :)

D

EndGameNYC 06-08-2014 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mirage74 (Post 4704895)
Actually got a chuckle out of that Dee.

I guess there's more to detachment than I realize. Yea, they are using every trick to prevent it. Sets me off

Sorry you're going through this. Who are "they?"

Mirage74 06-08-2014 10:59 PM

My dysfunctional family, Endgame. Drinking masked this problem for years. I sober up and it rears it's ugly head. Would be a lot easier if they were more supportive.

gvrecovery 06-09-2014 04:23 AM

I've also detached from my family, as I felt dealing with them was too emotionally difficult. It's not easy by any means, but it often feels like starting over, new and refreshed.

ESD907 06-09-2014 05:27 AM

I decided that I and my own immediate (children and spouse) are the most important people on earth. I honestly don't care what anyone else thinks of me anymore. They are not in my life often enough, so what, I don't get calls every few weeks, or an invite to a BBQ. But I'm sober, healthier and there is not a better feeling in the world than being in charge of your actions. Of not worrying your children will smell alcohol on you. Of hiding away. DONT make excuses to drink. Get away from them, simple. IF I make mistakes now, I know it was a simple mistake, not one brought upon by booze.