Notices

New here, first day

Old 06-08-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, first day

Hi everyone. This is my first post so I am not really sure where to begin. I'm 28, have had a problem with drinking for most of my 20's. I don't drink daily, but when I do, I black out often, remembering only bits and pieces of the night. I am always mortified, regretful and feel terrible about the things that I do remember. Even worse when I have to find out from others. I have been told for years and by the people closest to me that I cannot control myself when drinking. I become irrational and angry and have been told many times that my personality changes completely - Into someone that I no longer want to turn into. I have considered AA in the past when I was causing a lot of problems in an old relationship due to my drinking but never followed through wondering if I really did have a problem. I am sure now that I don't want to be that person and that I don't want to drink anymore. Last night was a nightmare from the parts that I can remember. I need help and support, hoping to hear any input or personal experiences.

Thanks for listening
Old 06-08-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome HopePeace

The good news is you never have to wake up feeling this way again.

It's not always an easy transition to getting sober and staying that way but I sure do NOT miss the blackouts and all the other dangerous and ridiculous stuff.

After the first few weeks I found being sober was a lot easier than being drunk

there;'s a lot of support and understanding here

D
Old 06-08-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome HopePeace. We're so glad you joined us.

Unpredictable things happened to me too. I could never be sure what the outcome would be once I got those first couple drinks in my system. I'd always be determined not to overdo it, and had great intentions. Nothing ever stopped me from getting drunk and reckless. As Dee said, it was a lot easier to be sober. Trying to control ourselves is exhausting. Keep posting HopePeace.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you So happy to hear positive support.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm the exact same age and have the same problem with being a binge drinker that regrets it the next day and has sworn off alcohol countless times. Never been a daily drinker and never really had that urge. Once I start, I just can't stop.

I've gone a week now without getting drunk, so there's not a ton of advice I can offer, other than to say that you're not the only one in this situation. When I signed up here, just knowing I wasn't alone gave me some sense of relief.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

nymets, I feel relief as well already being here and seeing that I am not alone. Very glad that I signed up. Thank you.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome HP to our international family. There's a lot of support here and we're open all the time.

Quitting drinking isn't easy but it is so rewarding. The early days can be tough but it's worth the effort to stay sober.