Notices

Old 06-08-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hello, I am new and just joined today. Ive been struggling with the decision to quit drinking for a long time. In my life I have gotten 2 DUI's and recently broke my ankle and had to have surgery which I thought would really stop my drinking..but it hasnt. I do not drink alot to be honest...but when I do drink its always too much and I black out quite a bit. I know my relationship with alcohol is not healthy. Im in my 30's, I have a great job, I work out and run marathons (well not now because my ankle is still healing), but the drinking needs to go...Ive made excuses, tried to limit it, but eventually I just go back and blackout. I just think its time its out of my life. I always feel guilty the day after and I am tired of being anxious. I thought I would start here and see how it goes. thanks for listening. =)
Old 06-08-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Hi Sassydoll, well done on deciding to pursue sobriety.

I am also in my 30's and one of the things I noticed when I drank was how much harder hangovers hit me and how much longer they generally lasted compared to my 20's and I thought that if it takes so much more out of me that I can feel then how much more damage is it also doing to my vital organs that I can't necessarily feel until it's perhaps too late! So basically I scared myself sober to a certain extent.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sassy doll, welcome. Congratulations on making the decision to be sober. It may seem hard at first, but with my experience once you see how great life can be without drugs or alcohol, you won't even think about having a drink. I found spending the time I normally would drinking trying new things and meeting new people. We all have different reasons why we want to be sober, but I promise you will feel better inside and out. Stay strong and keep in mind what your goals are. Good luck, and thanks for sharing.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol issues come in all shapes and sizes...as far as quantities, frequencies, where's and when and booze of choice.
It is our difficulty in quittting something despite our best efforts time and time again...and all that goes with it.
That makes us the same.
Welcome.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and it sounds like you've made a good decision.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!

It's a great thing you are catching this now before it spirals even further out of control.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm here less than a week and SR has already made a big difference for me. I hope you have the same experience.

Ten years ago when I was 46 I broke my ankle and the surgeon told me that I would never run again. Rubbish! I'm not running a spring marathon due to another type of injury, but I usually run a couple of marathons a year so don't be dismayed.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you all so much for your responses that means alot. I appreciate the support so much. Good to know someone else broke their ankle and can give me hope! My OS was pretty nice though, he never said I couldnt run but been told by other people that. Im just like "WATCH ME!"..haha. Im hoping in about 2 months I can start..Im about 3 months post surgery so still early in recovery but at least Im walking =)
Old 06-08-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I notice that too. It takes more than a day to feel "normal" again and it throws me off track and I miss workouts..I hate it. Time to end the insanity!
Old 06-08-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! I also enjoy working out and HATED when drinking threw me off track. The gym definitely helps keep me sober these days and my passion for working out is at an all time high now that im almost 90 days sober.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome sassydoll!

I know how you feel. I never knew where it would take me once it was in my system. I kept trying to manage it, but in the end I had no control at all. Thankfully you're taking charge of the situation now, before further drama or damage. Glad to have you with us.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR SassyDoll

D